DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead -- "Arrow on the Doorpost" -- 3/10/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/609246-walking-dead-arrow-doorpost-3-10-13-a.html)

Joe Schmoe 03-11-13 10:48 PM

Re: The Walking Dead -- "Arrow on the Doorpost" -- 3/10/13

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 11611253)
We ARE talking about Andrea here right? The same woman who shot at her group approaching someone and actaully hit Darryl with the shot because she wanted to shoot a gun and kill some walkers. Forever a moran.

I knew Rick wasn't going to shoot the Governor because this was episode 13 of 16. No way the governor dies this early.

It's been awhile since I saw the episode you're referring to, but wasn't Daryl injured, limping and covered in mud or blood? Yes, she had an itchy trigger finger and was anxious to prove she could shoot a gun, but to be fair, Daryl looked and acted a bit like a walker as he approached the farm so she didn't recognize him.

Dragon Tattoo 03-11-13 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11611268)
Michonne doesn't speak much and also has acted irrationally in breaking from the group to go after the Governor. Hell even to the audience her motivations there don't even make sense and we saw more than Rick even knows.

Her motivations made perfect sense. He sent a hitsquad after her, and if she hadn't been expecting it, Merle and his gang of goons would have killed her. She wanted revenge.

bluetoast 03-12-13 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Astrofan (Post 11611252)
There always comes a point in the weekly thread where I have to stop reading, here it is. And I was careful not to read what's right above me.

Are you joking? What he was talking about was clearly in the actual episode.

andicus 03-12-13 12:28 AM

That bugged me. If they were supposed to enter together I would have demanded they switch buildings. It was just blatantly obvious that he could have stashed or setup anything prior to them arriving. Or hell, if neither sides wanted to switch meeting locales, flip a coin.

That's exactly what I said to my wife. As soon as I saw the Governor was already in the building, I would've demanded to switch buildings. Being a cop, Rick should've realized that. Same with taking a drink from him. No point in that at all.

Still, I enjoyed this episode. Being one of the few that didn't like last weeks episode, I seem to also be in the minority in liking this one.

tanman 03-12-13 01:01 AM

Did this episode remind anyone of DS9 Call to Arms where Sisko and Weyoun meet and Weyoun demands the mine field be taken down and Sisko refuses and they do their song and dance trying to negotiate. Afterwards Sisko says they are going to invade.

Compared to that, Rick looks like an idiot since he is actually considering handing over Michone and proves he may have booked his bus ticket but he sure hasn't boarded it to leave Crazytown.

I didn't like this episode. A lot of tension and a lot of filler. Couldn't even enjoy the Maggie Glenn scene because I kept thinking something was going to happen to them.

Buttmunker 03-12-13 07:51 AM

Does anyone think Shane would have killed the Governor, if Shane was still alive and in Rick's place?

I say, Hell, YES!

Rick is still, after all this time, all the horror, and even after seeing dead people like that kid from the Bruce Willis movie, he still has that dumb human feeling of "HOPE" and "Humanity." Shane was more of a realist, and if it hadn't been for his love for Lori, and Rick's return, Shane would have been a real hero.

Dragon Tattoo 03-12-13 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 11611433)
Does anyone think Shane would have killed the Governor, if Shane was still alive and in Rick's place?

I say, Hell, YES!

Rick is still, after all this time, all the horror, and even after seeing dead people like that kid from the Bruce Willis movie, he still has that dumb human feeling of "HOPE" and "Humanity." Shane was more of a realist, and if it hadn't been for his love for Lori, and Rick's return, Shane would have been a real hero.

No, because Kirkman already said on The Talking Dead that if Shane were leading the group, he would've gotten them all killed by now.

argh923 03-12-13 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 11611087)
Rick showed balls the size of grapefruits by walking into that shed to talk to that crazy-person. I don't think we should treat Rick so harshly for not shooting him....that was a tough, tough situation, and too much of the unknown to deal with. Rick doesn't want to die, you know? He wants to get out of the shed alive to live another day, and to plan.

If I was Rick, my plan would be to get the fudge out of Dodge. No way that paltry bunch could eliminate the enemy and succeed in their mission, which is to kill everybody and suffer zero casualties.

That mission is impossible. The best option (and they have 2 days to do it) is to flee, and leave no trace of where you're going. The Governor isn't going to pursue, no way! He's only got a handful or two of true "soldiers," and he won't risk them being gone, and being vulnerable.

Rick and his people will flee - mark my words. They're gone baby, gone.

What?

You can't honestly believe the season isn't going to end in a bloodbath. :lol: I know that's the BEST option...but there's no way they're going to do it.

Buttmunker 03-12-13 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by argh923 (Post 11611453)
What?

You can't honestly believe the season isn't going to end in a bloodbath. :lol: I know that's the BEST option...but there's no way they're going to do it.

So then, that would mean this is the FINAL season!

majorjoe23 03-12-13 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 11611457)
So then, that would mean this is the FINAL season!

Bloodbath doesn't mean complete annihilation. If the prison group was cut in half it would still be a bloodbath.

Buttmunker 03-12-13 08:54 AM

I wonder if Rick will look at his lil'Asskicker and ponder whether this is Shane's baby, and not have anything to do with the baby. "Carl, look after your sister," will be the mantra.

sracer 03-12-13 09:45 AM

I disagree. A lot of what Rick knows about the Governor is hearsay. Of the people that have interacted with the Gov:

As Gov said, Merle was the loose cannon that picked up Glen and Maggie and beat up Glen. That's believable on Rick's end because he knows Merle. Now the Gov copping a feel on Maggie isn't common knowledge, and likewise could easily be blamed on Merle since Maggie was holding back to even Glen. Rick has been in a funk, does he even know something "more" other being a hostage happened to Maggie?

Michonne doesn't speak much and also has acted irrationally in breaking from the group to go after the Governor. Hell even to the audience her motivations there don't even make sense and we saw more than Rick even knows.

They have no reason to trust Andrea or anything that comes out of her mouth.

I think the only concrete info Rick has to go on is from Daryl's encounter in the "Zombie Games" pitted against Merle.

The attack on the prison was retaliation, which is something Rick understands.

So I think the meeting was essential for Rick to get a feel for this faceless threat, if anything just to confirm what he knows in his heart to be true.

What is it about holding Glenn and Maggie prisoner is hearsay? Or that he (the governor) kept Andrea from knowing Glenn and Maggie where in Woodbury, hearsay?

Sure, one could dismiss their initial capture by Merle as him being uncontrollable. But to conclude that the Governor had no control of keeping them prisoner?

I'll cede that Rick flat-out shooting the Governor may not be the no-brainer that I originally thought, but I'm still unconvinced of the reasons why Rick would consider the Governor someone to be trusted... as in giving over Michonne to preserve a truce that the Governor said moments before was impossible.

bluetoast 03-12-13 10:28 AM

I agree with that. The Governor said he wanted Rick's surrender at the outset of the meeting, and then at the end said he only wanted Michonne. Red flag right there, as others pointed out.

Buttmunker 03-12-13 10:29 AM

I loved how Rick mocked the title of "Governor" to the Governor. :lol:

johnnysd 03-12-13 12:57 PM

I guess the opinion of this episode ties in with how much you like the show. I am in the "like it" category. I am very far from thinking it is one of the better shows on TV, and likely would not be in my Top 10, but I do enjoy it. Too many inconsistencies and logical problems in this show for me to really immerse myself in it. I am not super invested in any character because they are all idiots really, although I would agree Andrea is in her own world. So for me this episode was really boring and not at all tense because it was pretty dumb. I don't want all action far from it, I would just like the character's actions and the world they live in to make a whole lot more sense.

Navinabob 03-12-13 01:19 PM

Just a goof for those of you who have the episode saved still. At the very beginning when Rick leaves Hershel in the car alone he quite foolishly leaves the car door wide open on the passenger side where Hershel couldn't reach it, yet on the very next shot of Hershel we see the door suddenly now closed. Normally I don't spot those sort of things.

spainlinx0 03-12-13 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 11611771)
I guess the opinion of this episode ties in with how much you like the show. I am in the "like it" category. I am very far from thinking it is one of the better shows on TV, and likely would not be in my Top 10, but I do enjoy it. Too many inconsistencies and logical problems in this show for me to really immerse myself in it. I am not super invested in any character because they are all idiots really, although I would agree Andrea is in her own world. So for me this episode was really boring and not at all tense because it was pretty dumb. I don't want all action far from it, I would just like the character's actions and the world they live in to make a whole lot more sense.

Basically I'm in the same category. I want this show to be so much more, and I cannot comprehend anyone calling this the best show on TV. It has it's good moments, but the illogical stuff irks the shit out of me.

PhantomStranger 03-12-13 01:22 PM

This show needs an HBO-level budget. While this was a decent episode, it is clear to me that AMC's woeful budget constraints are putting a crimp on overall character development and running story-lines.

These type of "quiet" episodes only work when the dialogue is top-notch and the actors are giving stellar performances. Unfortunately, the acting is very uneven from the cast. Some of these people have apparently only been cast for physical appearance and not their innate talent. I am not sure anymore if Andrew Lincoln is up to the task of carrying this show for several years.

DthRdrX 03-12-13 01:34 PM

I'm not surprised that Rick didn't attack them at the barn. He had no knowledge of what he was walking into. I'm more surprised that they skipped over the meeting itself getting setup, as it doesn't seem like something I'd even agree to when you are so outnumbered.

What really does surprise me is the Gov not killing Rick asap. This is a guy that earlier in the season walked right up to quite a number of soldiers and killed them without any fear. It's hard to believe the ruse he has going with Andrea, or the people left in the town, is even important to him at this point.

majorjoe23 03-12-13 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 11611835)
What really does surprise me is the Gov not killing Rick asap. This is a guy that earlier in the season walked right up to quite a number of soldiers and killed them without any fear. It's hard to believe the ruse he has going with Andrea, or the people left in the town, is even important to him at this point.

I think the Gov's plan was to kill Rick asap with the table gun, but when Rick wouldn't discard his weapon after The Gov. had hung up his belt it probably didn't seem smart to try to outdraw a law enforcement officer.

DthRdrX 03-12-13 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 11611877)
I think the Gov's plan was to kill Rick asap with the table gun, but when Rick wouldn't discard his weapon after The Gov. had hung up his belt it probably didn't seem smart to try to outdraw a law enforcement officer.

I saw it as more of a "just in case" scenario, but either way why meet with Rick in the first place? Gov wants them dead then he should have just brought a dozen people and taken care of them before the meeting. The group really would be lost without Rick, Hershal and Daryl.

Shazam 03-12-13 02:27 PM

The Governor is not entirely confident he can beat Rick's group. After all, Our Heroes went to Woodbury and kicked their asses.

Josh-da-man 03-12-13 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 11611835)
What really does surprise me is the Gov not killing Rick asap. This is a guy that earlier in the season walked right up to quite a number of soldiers and killed them without any fear.

I think he would have if Michonne had gone with him.

The bottom line with Rick... I can't beleive he's even entertaining bargaining with this asshole. Even if we write off the initial kidnapping of Maggie and Glenn to Merle being an asshole, the Gov still held them prisoner, tortured them, and sexually assaulted Maggie. Then he ambushed the prison with a sniper attack.

And during negotiations, he tells Rick that he only wants Michonne. That, right there, should tell Rick that he's dealing with a vindictive personality. He isn't going to leave you alone after you've turned one of your best soldiers over to him. Not going to happen. If Rick is even considering this offer, then he's exhibiting stupidity worthy of a Lost character.

Gambit 03-12-13 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 11611891)
I saw it as more of a "just in case" scenario, but either way why meet with Rick in the first place? Gov wants them dead then he should have just brought a dozen people and taken care of them before the meeting. The group really would be lost without Rick, Hershal and Daryl.

With the way that gun was taped to the table, it would have been pretty difficult for him to grab it in a quick draw scenario. I would tend to agree that he wanted Rick to disarm so that he could easily take him out.

Buttmunker 03-12-13 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 11611877)

the taped gun was pointing to where Rick was sitting. The Gov could have shot the gun and blown out Rick's groin before Rick knew he lost his dick forever.

majorjoe23 03-12-13 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 11611986)
the taped gun was pointing to wear Rick was sitting. The Gov could have shot the gun and blown out Rick's groin before Rick knew he lost his dick forever.

Was it? I thought it was pointed facing off to the side. But I was also watching on a tiny, non-high def TV in a hotel.

Dragon Tattoo 03-12-13 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 11612015)
Was it? I thought it was pointed facing off to the side. But I was also watching on a tiny, non-high def TV in a hotel.

It was. I have no idea what show Buttmunker is watching sometimes.

Buttmunker 03-12-13 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 11612015)

It might have been, but how hard would it have been for the Gov to pivot the gun in Rick's general direction?

Buttmunker 03-12-13 04:08 PM

Oh please, they had it pointed to the side so that us, the audience, could see it. It would have been no effort whatsoever for the Gov to pivot the gun...oh wait, I already said this.

majorjoe23 03-12-13 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 11612041)
Oh please, they had it pointed to the side so that us, the audience, could see it. It would have been no effort whatsoever for the Gov to pivot the gun...oh wait, I already said this.

If it was taped, that would probably slow him down enough for Rick to get the draw on him. Unless Rick didn't have a gun.

argh923 03-12-13 04:29 PM

I just don't understand the "illogical" things that people keep referring to, but aren't describing. I don't see anything "illogical" about it.

Rival11 03-12-13 04:41 PM

Another shit episode - yes, I love storytelling but I don't like it when it takes 45 minutes to get 3 lines of dialouge out.

I think the show will be back in full swing with the final few episodes coming up.

johnnysd 03-12-13 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by argh923 (Post 11612073)
I just don't understand the "illogical" things that people keep referring to, but aren't describing. I don't see anything "illogical" about it.

It's called suspension of disbelief. You seem to have it for this show, but many don't. The Walking Dead world is very inconsistent and illogical. Behaviors, events, physical characteristics and other elements of the world change according to what the plot needs at that particular time.

I can go along with anything as long as the "world" they create makes sense within its own structure. The Walking Dead does not do that. The personalities and behaviors of the main characters are also very inconsistent as well.

When you combine these things together, they tend to pull you out of the experience and become very distracting. For me and others they are so bad that while I do enjoy the show, it is really far from the amazing top tier show many seem to think it is.

Dragon Tattoo 03-12-13 04:48 PM

I think a lot of you just like bitching about ridiculous nonsense like people not rolling their windows up.

superdeluxe 03-12-13 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 11612038)
It might have been, but how hard would it have been for the Gov to pivot the gun in Rick's general direction?

:hscratch: It was Duct taped to the table pointing the opposite direction. He would be dead before he could tear it off and point at rick.

johnnysd 03-12-13 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11612104)
I think a lot of you just like bitching about ridiculous nonsense like people not rolling their windows up.

Some of the gripes are not ridiculous. At the end of the day, isn't the story about what they do to survive the zombie apocalypse?

Buttmunker 03-13-13 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 11612106)
:hscratch: It was Duct taped to the table pointing the opposite direction. He would be dead before he could tear it off and point at rick.

The Gov only needed to slowly rotate it in Rick's direction, while the Gov was walking gently, reasonably, and quietly.

I don't see how you guys don't get that.

Buttmunker 03-13-13 08:07 AM

I am re-watching Seasons 1 and 2, and I realize how much Rick has lost. He lost Dale, his "voice of reason," he lost Shane, his "muscle and backup," he lost Lori, his wife and love and support-system.

Of course, he gained a new voice-of-reason with the ever-wise Hershel. But he hasn't yet gained the muscle and support he lost with Shane (Glenn is okay, but he's no Shane).

raven56706 03-13-13 08:24 AM

buttmunker

Spoiler:
be prepared to feel sorry for him again

foofighters7 03-13-13 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 11612097)
It's called suspension of disbelief. You seem to have it for this show, but many don't. The Walking Dead world is very inconsistent and illogical. Behaviors, events, physical characteristics and other elements of the world change according to what the plot needs at that particular time.

I can go along with anything as long as the "world" they create makes sense within its own structure. The Walking Dead does not do that. The personalities and behaviors of the main characters are also very inconsistent as well.

When you combine these things together, they tend to pull you out of the experience and become very distracting. For me and others they are so bad that while I do enjoy the show, it is really far from the amazing top tier show many seem to think it is.

Very Very True.

I really think the people who don't see these things are, in fact, seeing them but want to like the show and stand up for it so they try to act as if these are non issues. That or they don't see them and are really bad about paying attention.

When making a show, I don't mind things not making sense in relation to the real world, but I'd like the show makers to show me some respect as a viewer. Having something dumb happen here and there is one thing but to have a constant stream of inconsistencies and illogical behavior just to progress this particular episode is downright pathetic.

This type of show revolves around being very particular about building up the mythology of the characters, surroundings and walkers.
They also need to do a better job at explaining actions and locals.
The problem is, I don't think the writers are good enough to do that and I don't think the show creators are good enough to realize what they need to do.
For me, although I watch it I'm not really 'into' like I was in the first and second season. I had hopes then. I was interested in where it was going. Now, it's too stupid for me to truly 'like'. I watch it because that's what I had been doing. It can be somewhat entertaining from time to time but as it goes on I get less and less interested. I keep hoping someone will take the reins and regain some control.