Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Customer Loyalty" -- 1/24/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Customer Loyalty" -- 1/24/13

I agree Madcougar, it definitely felt lazy. Perhaps the nature of the fight might be realistic amongst some couples, but I don't buy that Jin would be so pissed about the footage. Plus, like Pam said, they can use other parents footage. He claimed his daughter would be in the background, but fuck. They were all standing in a damn line. Pam at least knew how to shoot a wide shot, and I'm sure others did too. That part also seemed lazy.

Also the camera person was sitting on a stool blocking the conference room. I would have to think that would be an inconvenience for people working there. But why didn't the creepy boom operator interrupt during the other times people cried?

Finally, to all the people in past seasons who claimed the documentary stuff is now merely a framing device, and asking questions about it was pointless...guess that's not the case.
Old 01-25-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't seem lazy to me at all. He's been stressing for months. All it takes is for a little something to go wrong and the dam breaks. Same for Pam. I don't think a little fight/argument would make her break down like that but the anxiety/stress of their living situation finally got to her.
Old 01-25-13, 12:18 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Couldn't the crew film the recital for them? I mean...they did technically film it. Couldn't they give them a copy?
Old 01-25-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been pleased with the last couple of episodes, considering how awful the first half of this season has been. Yes, the characters have been exaggerated caricatures of themselves, but it's been delivering the funny for me lately

And yes, that "fight" at the end was quite realistic and well played by both. I know there are a lot of Jim/Pam haters, but I like those two.

With that said - I'm ready for this show to end and I hope the remainder of this season can keep up the pace of late to go out with some level of dignity.
DVD Talk Legend

Now I'm wondering why they didn't do that constant Bluetooth crap like they did a few years ago. Perhaps it would make Jim look less professional...or maybe more at Athlead, who knows.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

There can't possibly be a single camera though because they usually have multiple angles for the same moments. Don't those crews get in the way of actual work?

I guess Jim's new company is OK with the documentary crew being in their office too. Even the major investor doesn't mind having his business dealings filmed. Actually, that would be a good start for a new documentary...following a startup company through its ups and downs.

So I thought Daryl accepted the new job. It seems like he hasn't told his current employer yet. Is he still trying to make up his mind? And with a major investor pulling out, is it wise to be hiring new employees? Is Daryl's new position still secure? Dammit, we need ANSWERS!
Old 01-25-13, 02:21 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't a simple, "cause I got a very important phone call that could make a big change in my life, you jerk." stopped the argument?
Old 01-25-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly, she didn't even mention the mural, which would have been plenty of "ammunition" in the heat of an argument like that.
Old 01-25-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

As someone thats been in a lot of fights like that, I thought it was very realistic. It's pretty easy for situations like that to escalate the way it did, and I thought Pam's reaction sold it really well too. I really liked that they went that route showing the documentary crew.
Old 01-25-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I agree Madcougar, it definitely felt lazy. Perhaps the nature of the fight might be realistic amongst some couples, but I don't buy that Jin would be so pissed about the footage. Plus, like Pam said, they can use other parents footage. He claimed his daughter would be in the background, but fuck. They were all standing in a damn line. Pam at least knew how to shoot a wide shot, and I'm sure others did too. That part also seemed lazy.
Obviously it isn't the dance recital that Jim was upset about. His dream is going down and flames, and he's made a lot of sacrifices, financially and personally, that may end up for naught. He's stressed and in over his head, and lashed out at Pam over something relatively trivial because he can't yell at the investor or his fellow "Athleads" (what a stupid fucking name) or even himself (at the end of the day, HE'S the one that missed the recital, and he knows it.). Seemed pretty realistic to me, in fact, probably the most real The Office has ever been, in my opinion.

But why didn't the creepy boom operator interrupt during the other times people cried?
Because she addressed him personally?

Exactly, she didn't even mention the mural, which would have been plenty of "ammunition" in the heat of an argument like that.
She didn't want to use it as a weapon. She wanted her "Beasley!", and that wasn't happening at any point during that call. It's not like she had the opportunity to throw that out there anyway.
Old 01-25-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the fight was VERY realistic, even though I think that Jenna Fischer played it wonderfully, while Jim K. was not very good. I don't have a problem with the actual fight. I just think it's way out of character for him to act this way. I could see him being dismissive of her, but he was mean and almost hateful.

With all that said... I would love the last episode to be the documentary crew checking in with everyone a year or so after they've left and aired the "documentary" they've been making like the original British Christmas episode.
Old 01-25-13, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar
I thought the fight was VERY realistic, even though I think that Jenna Fischer played it wonderfully, while Jim K. was not very good. I don't have a problem with the actual fight. I just think it's way out of character for him to act this way. I could see him being dismissive of her, but he was mean and almost hateful.
That was a shock to see how he reacted to Pam. It is still a realistic scene though. Jim has always had a sense of control in the confines of his workplace, but he may have bit off more than he can chew.

Like previously mentioned, he is realizing that all he hoped for is not coming to fruition. Long story short is Pam was at the recital and Jim wasn't.

Very uncool of Jim but again realistic imo.
Old 01-25-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Obviously it isn't the dance recital that Jim was upset about. His dream is going down and flames, and he's made a lot of sacrifices, financially and personally, that may end up for naught. He's stressed and in over his head, and lashed out at Pam over something relatively trivial because he can't yell at the investor or his fellow "Athleads" (what a stupid fucking name) or even himself (at the end of the day, HE'S the one that missed the recital, and he knows it.). Seemed pretty realistic to me, in fact, probably the most real The Office has ever been, in my opinion.
^This
Old 01-25-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep.
Old 01-25-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because she addressed him personally?
He asked "Are you okay?" first, then she addressed him, although she did look in that general direction prior. But then again, everyone looks at the camera!

As for your other point about Jim, I guess I can see that. I just hadn't (and we all haven't) seen Jim that pissed, at least at Pam, but in the context of his stuff going down yeah. I was just thinking of other things that might have been said, but as stated, Pam wasn't really trying to lash out.

Last edited by bluetoast; 01-25-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If nothing else, it at least makes their relationship more human and not a 'fairy tale perfect relationship', which it's mostly been for it's entire duration.
Old 01-26-13, 09:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This is the most dramatic episode they've had since Jim drove drunk and killed that kid.
Old 01-26-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The scene was played well, but I'm not sure we needed this melodrama this late in the game. Sure it's realistic but come on, Jim & Pam have been the perfect couple for nearly 200 episodes and with a dozen to go we're going to fuck with it? Why?

It was simply a lazy way to bring in the documentary crew. They should have done something more creative with a different character. Hell, have Dwight show up on Michael Scott's doorstep begging him to return since Andy abandoned them. Michael could then turn to the camera crew and ask if it's true. Boom. Camera guy brought into the fold without forced melodrama between two characters who never fight. +1 bonus for Michael Scott cameo during the home stretch.

Originally Posted by madcougar
The entire fight at the end seemed oddly out of place for Jim and Pam. You can't spend eight years creating the "perfect couple" and then shit on it.
Mad About You sure as hell did and has to be the worst offender of this. You have quite possibly the cutest couple on television in recent memory and they bring in infidelity & divorce. Buzz-fucking-kill.
Old 01-26-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Mad About You sure as hell did and has to be the worst offender of this. You have quite possibly the cutest couple on television in recent memory and they bring in infidelity & divorce.
Slightly off-topic, I loved Mad About You, but grew disinterested once the baby came along and stopped watching. I don't think I had heard how the series ended. Glad I bailed when I did.
Old 01-26-13, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is the most dramatic episode they've had since Jim drove drunk and killed that kid.
+1

I was shocked when they went there.
Old 01-27-13, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho

Laughed more at that comment than the entire season
Old 01-27-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Mad About You sure as hell did and has to be the worst offender of this. You have quite possibly the cutest couple on television in recent memory and they bring in infidelity & divorce. Buzz-fucking-kill.
Hadn't thought about that, but ya, that one came out of nowhere too.
Old 01-27-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I think I see where all of this is heading...

The Scranton Strangler will be revealed to be...
Spoiler:
the sound guy from documentary crew.
Old 01-27-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there any word that Carell will be back?
Old 01-27-13, 10:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is there any word that Carell will be back?
He will not.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/steve...-the-of,91641/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.