Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol -- Season 12 Thread -- Now with Mariah, Keith Urban & Nicki Minaj

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Idol -- Season 12 Thread -- Now with Mariah, Keith Urban & Nicki Minaj

Since Kelly Clarkson is STILL a top draw, Carrie Underwood demolished country, Katharine McPhee is starring on a network TV show, and Jennifer Hudson won an Academy Award, and is guest starring on the same show. And many other accolades associated with past contestants (Daughtry, Carly Smithson, and more). You can of course define mediocity any way you want, but the show has produced stars.
Old 02-13-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Idol -- Season 12 Thread -- Now with Mariah, Keith Urban & Nicki Minaj

Just watched the first show of Hollywood Week for the girls. Should be a good year as far as the talent goes. I'm just hoping that that crazy girl gets kicked out in the near future.

So tomorrow (Thursday) they will cut it to the Top 40 guys plus the Top 40 girls.

There are three more weeks of judges only rounds. Next week they take the Top 80 to Vegas. The following week the ones that remain are somewhere, don't know where yet. On March 7 they cut it to the Top 10 (Top 5 girls / Top 5 guys) which is when the voting will begin.
Old 02-13-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wish they didn't cut the Neeley girl from the DollyChicks.
Old 02-14-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy shit, I hope the world loses it's mind and Methy Eyebrows wins the whole thing.
Old 02-21-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kree looks like a heavier Melanie Linsky (Crazy Rose on "Two and a Half Men").
Old 02-21-13, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
Since Kelly Clarkson is STILL a top draw, Carrie Underwood demolished country, Katharine McPhee is starring on a network TV show, and Jennifer Hudson won an Academy Award, and is guest starring on the same show. And many other accolades associated with past contestants (Daughtry, Carly Smithson, and more). You can of course define mediocity any way you want, but the show has produced stars.
Not only that a random 12th placer from season 3 is sexifying the charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWLWr4Hq0hQ
Old 02-21-13, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
Not only that a random 12th placer from season 3 is sexifying the charts.
She must be a fan of Memento. She's got random words written all over her body.
Old 02-22-13, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are now down to the Top 30 (15 guys / 15 girls). I can't believe that they cut that gay guy, he was a very good entertainer. It seems like they are trying to pick weaker guys to get a girl to win though to be honest the girls are extremely talented.

As far as the judges go - I am impressed. They are actually giving feedback, both positive and negative. And Nicki - OK, she likes all guys, I get it, but she should dial it back a notch on the drooling.

So, at this point they have 5 guys and 5 girls who have advanced, and will whittle the next 10 guys and girls to 5 each next week. The following week they will take the Top 20 and reduce them to the Top 10 at which time we can vote. Note that Ryan doesn't say that "we" will have a chance to vote on the ones that advance, just that the ones who advance are eligible to be voted on. Voting won't begin until the Top 10 (5 guys / 5 girls).
Old 02-22-13, 01:02 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a more nervous contestant than Charlie Askew on any singing show ever. He was shaking so much I thought he was going to pee his pants or pass out or both. He surprisingly was able to sing moderately well though. I haven't watched much AI this year, but happened to catch this kid's audition (when I thought he was one of the weirdos they put through) and liked it, and then happened to catch him tonight. I kind of like the kid, but they need to get him some anti-anxiety meds and soon or he's going to have a meltdown.
Old 02-22-13, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't watch last night's girls as I'm not very interested in female singers. And tonight, I feel there are 2 people who got in who shouldn't have. Obviously, I don't have similar tastes with these judges. Sometimes, I feel they are trying to catch all the demographics, rather than judging solely on talent.

I may watch the men's show next week, but I think after all these years, I am finally bowing out of watching the show for this season. I love Keith Urban and he's the only reason I gave it a shot this season, anyway. Without a rocker in the competition, it's never very interesting to me, anyway.

While I don't like Mariah, I find her a kind judge who gives some good comments. Nicki, however, is really disrespectful with all the faces she makes during the other judge's comments.
Old 02-22-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rkndkn

Nicki, however, is really disrespectful with all the faces she makes during the other judge's comments.
She's just playing around. Every time she makes an exaggerated frowny face she follows it up with a smile. I'm very impressed with Nikki as a judge. Going in I was expecting the worst, but she gives good advice, and gives more of it than the other judges. Contrast her to Britney the Automaton on the X Factor.
Old 02-22-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat
They are now down to the Top 30 (15 guys / 15 girls). I can't believe that they cut that gay guy, he was a very good entertainer. It seems like they are trying to pick weaker guys to get a girl to win though to be honest the girls are extremely talented.
That's been my summation of the culling process, let some lamer male singers into the top 10/20 and hope one of the girls catches some good voting buzz to win. It probably helps they've avoided most GwG contestants.
Old 02-22-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
She's just playing around. Every time she makes an exaggerated frowny face she follows it up with a smile. I'm very impressed with Nikki as a judge. Going in I was expecting the worst, but she gives good advice, and gives more of it than the other judges. Contrast her to Britney the Automaton on the X Factor.
I have the exact opposite impression of Minaj. She is by far the worst of the four, and is only looking for ways to keep the attention on her. Even the "smiles" she gives after rudely interrupting the other judges aren't meant to "make nice", she is just mugging for the camera. She is completely repulsive to me.
Old 02-22-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
It probably helps they've avoided most GwG contestants.
Girls with Guns? Now that would be an awesome singing competition.
Old 02-28-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I really like Nicki as a judge ... she always has something relevant to say. However this is going to be earliest time I've dropped Idol. I always make it to the performance top 12 round but this year has been so bad. The producers are in a bind ... trying to avoid a 6th straight white guy winner. But they have stacked the deck with average to below average male singers and kicked off most of the white guys. The guys are all mehhhhhhh and the girls are not really good enough for me to continue watching. Fox is in deep deep trouble since Idols ratings have dropped like a rock and continue to drop this season.
Old 02-28-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is one of the contestants Yaphet Kotto in a fright wig?
Old 03-01-13, 08:39 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I really like Nicki as a judge ... she always has something relevant to say.
Agreed, some of her criticism is actually relevant. Unfortunately she surrounds it with her stupid catchphrases 'ladybug' and cuts back and forth between the accents she puts on like a bratty child that you can't take anything she says seriously.

The real standout for me has been Keith Urban. Not only has this season given me a chance to hear some the songs he has written but he comes across as a genuinely likeable normal guy that any guy in American could kick back with and have a beer. Not to mention hes a great songwriter.

Mariah is just there collecting a paycheck but I'm sure for the kids on the show this year it must be pretty amazing assuming she actually interacts with them.

Agree with other comment about them purposefully getting ride of the cute white males...that Josh was a sure thing. They must be shooting for a girl winner this season because the guys left won't stand a chance.
Old 03-01-13, 10:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Is one of the contestants Yaphet Kotto in a fright wig?
LOL

Old 03-05-13, 10:55 PM

Damn. I don't think Zonette couldve given a worse performance on her hatchet job of Tina Turner. That was nearly verging on William Hung territory

I'm really not seeing any clear front runners this season. They chopped the best guys already and the girls they keep saying have got it locked up seem very pale in comparison to previous seasons. Not J-Huds or Kelly Clarksons here.

I guess if its a girls year to win, I'll pick the Aubrey goat farmer chick even though her voice seems very thin.

Can they ever find another white chick who DOESNT sing gospel or country? I think Kelly Clarkson was the last decent one on the show who was happy doing R&B pop.

I also love how Nicki Minaj gives her notes so dismissively of everyone else on the panel like hers are the only ones 'keeping it real ladybug' while Mariah on the other hand finds new ways to blow smoke up everyone's ass.
Old 03-06-13, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by covenant
Agree.

This contestants this season are very mediocre, perhaps one of the worst in terms of potential stars.
Old 03-08-13, 02:04 AM

Wow, I guess I dont know how to pick em. My chick didn't even make it to top 10. So I guess I'll go with Angie Miller who seems like shes a sure thing except she also seems like she is 'Christian' so I think that might be the only thing holding her back since those contestants don't seem to get the votes. (See previous contestant Colton Dixon)

They certainly changed up the way they burn through the season and I have to say I HATE the changes. This whole 'sudden death' crap really fast forwarded through the mediocrity but tonights episode chopping from 20 to 10 was the worst.

Having Ryan guide people from the waiting room to announcing them as a winner and throwing them out on the stage after a quick run through the maze of backstage was both embarassing to the contestants and strangely enough for AI, under-produced.

It was like it sounded good on paper but in execution none of the Top 10 winners had anything interesting to say or was simply still too shocked to process what had just happened and Ryan reading the same script 10 times ("I know you've won but nobody, not even the judges on the other side of the wall knows yet!!!!") sucked any excitement out of it.
Old 03-08-13, 12:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I thought for sure they'd announce they were putting in two wildcards, since I believe they've had 12 or more finalists every season since the first. Maybe they were holding that card as a backup plan if one of their favorites didn't make the cut.

I'm curious to see who emerges as the frontrunner from this group. If you go on past history and leave everything else out of it, Paul Jolley is just a guitar away from being the favorite. If I choose to be somewhat less cynical, Kree feels the most like a potential breakout performer.

As for the rest, I thought Amber was amazing on Wednesday, but when she does upbeat numbers she just sounds okay to me. I think she'll fall victim to a bad song choice and be a 'surprise exit'. Angie is a mystery to me for the same reason... has she done an uptempo number yet? For the guys, Curtis has a strong voice but I think he'll hit that same ceiling as Josh Ladet, Jacob Lusk, and Michael Lynche the past few seasons.
Old 03-08-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Candice Glover's performance after her top 10 announcement, imo, may have been one of the best I've seen. Too bad it wasnt during the actual voting shows, I think that would have won it for her.

Love Kree and Brunell (although Brunell has to mix it up, he already is predictable) but geez what a bunch of boring performers.
Old 03-14-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Wow, no bump for last night's show?
Old 05-06-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybody see last week's? Harry Connick Jr. was freaking awesome. He pretty much dispelled the over-the-top-equals-good-singer myth that's been driving this show from the beginning.

He basically said the contestants--as well as the judges--don't know what the fuck they're doing. Only show this season I've watched from beginning to end and it was worth it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.