American Idol -- Season 12 Thread -- Now with Mariah, Keith Urban & Nicki Minaj

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-16-13, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

EVERYONE DREAMS. IDOL DELIVERS. "AMERICAN IDOL" RETURNS FOR AN ALL-NEW SEASON WITH NEW JUDGES WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 16, ON FOX

Part Two of the Two-Night Season Premiere Event Airs Tomorrow

Everyone's favorite singing competition returns for its highly anticipated 12th season with a brand new superstar judging panel, new contestants and the best and worst of auditions. Host Ryan Seacrest and judges Mariah Carey, Randy Jackson, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban traveled across the country to New York City, Chicago, Charlotte, Baton Rouge, San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Long Beach, CA, where the good, the bad and the outrageous auditioned for their shot at stardom. This season promises to deliver the most talented group of singers yet and as always, it's up to the viewers to root and vote for their favorite contestants, ultimately crowning the next AMERICAN IDOL. Don't miss the auditions that everyone will be talking about the next day in the "Auditions #1" episode of AMERICAN IDOL premiering Wednesday, Jan. 16 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (ID-1201/2) (TV-14 D, L)

Host: Ryan Seacrest

Judges: Mariah Carey, Randy Jackson, Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban

Read more: Listings - AMERICAN IDOL on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2IBsH2kqQ

This will be the one and only American Idol thread for season 12. It's pointless to do multiple threads for auditions, Hollywood week etc. anymore considering how much other stuff is on.

Looking forward to the Mariah and Nicki Minaj cat fights.
Old 01-16-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: American Idol -- Season 12 Thread -- Now with Mariah, Keith Urban & Nicki Minaj

Yeah, I've seen enough. I'm out for the season.
Old 01-16-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: American Idol -- Season 12 Thread -- Now with Mariah, Keith Urban & Nicki Minaj

Probably the worst episode I've seen. They put a lot talentless people through. Dont care about the manufactured drama. I think im finally done.
Old 01-16-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm recording in case someone mentions a good audition or (later) performance. I don't care about the rest.
Old 01-16-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I'm recording in case someone mentions a good audition or (later) performance. I don't care about the rest.
T

I thought the last audition is worth watching.
Old 01-17-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess "Summertime" is the new "I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" or "At Last".

Watched it even though I've been telling myself since last season that I wouldn't. I don't think I'll watch again, and I've been a fan since the first season.

Very surprised they didn't put the one-legged guy through to Hollywood. Sob stories are usually good for a ticket. I guess they gave him the boot.

There was a girl from Staten Island that Randy visited as she was singing in a restaurant to give her an audition number. That was the West Shore Inn, I've been there many times. Kind of fun to see that.

The judging seemed a lot tighter. I'm thinking that the producers instructed the judges to not give out blowjobs to every contestant like Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler did.

I said, they gave the one-legged contestant THE BOOT. That's gold. Gold!
Old 01-17-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This show gets the official kiss of death... with a single season-long thread.
Old 01-17-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Another nail in the coffin: www.votefortheworst.com is shutting down after this season. They don't see any point in shitting on the show anymore.
Old 01-17-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched as long as I could and then turned the channel. After 11 years and going to 10 of their "American Idol Live" concerts, I'm out. I can't stand the new judges, especially Nicki. My wife, who loves the show too, insisted that I turn it off after the first Nicki/Maria brawl, but I thought it could get better. Boy, was I wrong.
Old 01-17-13, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

At the guy who sang Phantom of the Opera.

Got a really big laugh out of that.

Nicki Minaj is really annoying. I did like her reactions when that freak in the Michael Jackson suit was singing. She made some really lame attempts at comedy, especially with the silly British accent.

I did enjoy Mariah. Been a fan of hers since 1990, so I can't say a bad thing about her.

They were a lot tougher than JLo and Tyler last year. I was surprised at a few they turned down. But I felt that let through some mostly mediocre people.

Keith Urban seems like cool and pleasant guy.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-17-13 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-17-13, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Okay just finished up the 2 hours. The last girl Ashlee Feliciano was probably the best of the entire 2 hours.
Old 01-17-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only two that stood out for me:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OnnJfzLopnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uyJzCPKI9f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And I had to laugh at how they had Randy Jackson surprise a girl singing in a restaurant who had been secretly nominated by her mother and give her a pass to sing before the judges. So this girl had no intention of trying out, then is rejected by the judges. She sang a so-so original song, I wish that they had given her a chance at doing a cover song like everybody else does.
Old 01-17-13, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh, this show is just so awful any more, and yet my wife will make me watch every minute with her. Oh well, if she was more discerning she would probably have quit putting up with my nonsense a long time ago.
Old 01-17-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just can't watch it, but how did the new judges do? Curious about Urban in particular.
Old 01-17-13, 09:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I actually thought this bunch was a lot tougher than last year's as far as putting people through. You just know J-Lo and Steven would have put the one-legged guy through.
Old 01-17-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am out this year.. but will be tuning in here to follow, the Minaj made me go.. the show became the XFctor in a bad way...
Old 01-17-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lowest-rated premier ever. Down 19% from last year's premier which was the previous lowest-rated premier.

Outside of Simon coming back, I don't know any way of saving the show. Maybe ratings might pick up but people just don't care about these judges.
Old 01-17-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking View Post
Just can't watch it, but how did the new judges do? Curious about Urban in particular.
I only caught a small portion of the entire show (on purpose) and it happened to be the one-legged kid. When Urban started singing OVER the kid during the Bon Jovi song the first thought that came to mind was "douchebag".

Im out.
Old 01-17-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Lowest-rated premier ever. Down 19% from last year's premier which was the previous lowest-rated premier.

Outside of Simon coming back, I don't know any way of saving the show. Maybe ratings might pick up but people just don't care about these judges.
It's pretty much singing/talent competition fatigue for most people IMO.

I mean America's Got Talent & So You Think You Can Dance ran from last summer into the Fall, then The Voice and X-Factor competed simultaneously in the Fall. Now American Idol is back and then The Voice returns in 2 months and after they end, America's Got Talent and So You Think You Can Dance will start all over again.

Devoting up to 6 hours per week year round is not easy.
Old 01-17-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
I am out this year.. but will be tuning in here to follow, the Minaj made me go.. the show became the XFctor in a bad way...
Why bother? What can be typed here that will make the show interesting to follow in a thread for someone like you who doesn't care anymore? IMO, It's about hearing the singers good or bad.

I don't understand why anyone would want to read about a talent competition if they don't care anymore. Personally it wouldn't do anything for me.
Old 01-17-13, 03:46 PM

I guess "Summertime" is the new "I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" or "At Last"
Summertime was done in the early days.

I only saw bits of last night in the background. My wife was more willing than me to sit through it. And all I could see was the contrived drama between those 2 idiots.

Yawn.
Old 01-17-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I'm sentimental.. first year Im out.. its been ruined..

oh well...
Old 01-17-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I watch every year and enjoy it.

About about the first 20 minutes last night we didn't really care anymore and went on to do other things. We're out.
Old 01-17-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is only my second year watching these talent shows. So I'm no where close to being burned out on them yet.
Old 01-17-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a night behind... loving "The Turbanator!"

Hating Nikki and Mariah.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.