Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Golden Palace

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Golden Palace

I finally finished watching THE GOLDEN PALACE, which is effectively the 8th season of THE GOLDEN GIRLS but without the Bea Arthur character and relocated to a hotel which the remaining 'girls' run.

It may lasted for one season, and none of the episodes were particularly good, although it definitely did have a few laugh-out-loud lines. It was amusing to see Marc Cherry, now better known as the creator of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES as one of the writer/producers of the show.

The final episode was appalling, featuring a prolonged dream sequence where all 3 of the 'girls', plus one of the male characters, find themselves pregnant. A completely ignoble way to end the series and effectively to end THE GOLDEN GIRLS, although I believe that Sofia appears in a season or two of another sitcom (EMPTY NEST I think, I've never seen it).

The one particularly positive element of watching the series though was to be reminded how funny Betty White can be, or at least how funny she could be when portraying Rose Nylund. This has led me to Wikipedia and something that I was never aware of before, which is that she has had a very long sitcom career, beginning in the 1950s. I'm going to be looking to acquire some of her earlier shows to see what she was like in them.

Has anyone else seen THE GOLDEN PALACE? What did you think?
Old 12-21-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: The Golden Palace

I saw one or two back when it was on. There's a reason it was cancelled, it was terrible. Even with a talented cast. No one could save that garbage.
Old 12-21-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Marc Cherry was a writer/producer on the Golden Girls as well.
Old 12-21-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by elijahmagallon
I finally finished watching THE GOLDEN PALACE
This show ended almost 20 years ago. Were you that bored that you had to dust off the VHS tapes from your storage closet?
Old 12-21-12, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This show ended almost 20 years ago. Were you that bored that you had to dust off the VHS tapes from your storage closet?
Nope, not bored, I just love watching old movies and TV shows just as much as I love watching new ones! :-)
Old 09-09-23, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I watched through all of Golden Girls a few years ago and now that The Golden Palace is on Hulu I watched through all of it and I really enjoyed it. Dorothy is my favorite of the Girls so she is definitely missed but it's still a solid season and Cheech Marin & Don Cheadle fit in with the Girls surprisingly well. I wouldn't have minded another few seasons with this cast.