TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Up All Night -- Thursdays (NBC) -- S: Applegate, Arnett, Rudolph

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Up All Night -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/14/11

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
My only issues is I'm not really a fan of yet another show with some neuter guy who can't figure out how to do mundane everyday tasks like grocery shopping as if he is incompetent with out his wife's hand holding

This was actually the funniest part of the entire show for me. As a sleep-deprived father of 3 (including now 9-month-old twins), this was very realistic. No lie, i have gone to the store many times and had to call my wife to ask where the hell things are. I know where the staples are - but if you asked me to find some specific random item, i could be there for hours unless i asked someone.

so maybe i'm neutered. or grocery stores are just too damn confusing now. I do agree that they should have made the item something other than "normal cheese". there's a freaking HUGE deli counter, dude.

overall, the show was underwhelming. Arnett/Applegate switched from moments of absolutely no chemistry to moments of decent to acceptable chemistry.

But my #1 complaint? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much Maya Rudolph. I don't need to see her play a mix of her Oprah/Whitney Houston impressions. The office stuff fell flat for me.

This was my #1 anticipated show this season (again, see "father of twin babies" above), but it fell flat. I will give it some more episodes, though.
Old 09-15-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I hope it gets better and I will stick around.

Just hope NBC has patience with this show.
Old 09-15-11, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I think they'll have patience. Maya Rudolph and Lorne Michaels may have some pull with that perhaps.

Still, I enjoyed it. I think it may even be better than Samantha Who.
Old 09-15-11, 08:14 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched 5 mins of this and kicked it to the curb
Old 09-15-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the encore airing of this earlier and I didn't like the pilot but I'm willing to watch next week.
Old 09-15-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was good, especially considering that pilots are rarely all that good. Arnett and Applegate were great, IMO, and like others I didn't care for Maya Rudolph's character and wouldn't mind terribly if the show were retooled to not make her a major character. I assumed she'd be a slightly goofy, Jack Donaghy-ish voice of reason/guidance, but making her an eccentric Oprah-lite isn't working.

Good start though. Interested to see how they expand the show beyond the few characters they have now.
Old 09-16-11, 02:01 AM

Someone put a bag on Maya Rudolph.
Old 09-16-11, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked it, but it was something that I could relate to, since we are in basically the same situation. A couple of times during the show, we were laughing just because we had experienced the same thing (my favorite thing was the you were asleep when I was awake, no you were asleep when I was away conversation, since we go through that a lot). If they reign in Maya Rudolph a bit, it could be a very good show.
Old 09-16-11, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I enjoyed the heck out of this show. I've always loved Applegate so this is a season pass for me until proven otherwise.
Old 09-16-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

More nodding off than up all night,
Old 09-16-11, 09:22 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought it was okay, but I don't think there is enough material there to keep it going. The baby stuff is going to get old quickly and they seem to have locked themselves into a one or two-year window when the baby starts sleeping through the night. I guess they can have Christina Applegate keep having babies and recycle the same jokes again with each new baby. I predict it will go about 8 episodes, then there will be a hiatus, a few more episodes, then some Amy Poehler guest spots, then cancellation by November.
Old 09-16-11, 09:31 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife and I watched it last night and found it pretty funny. I think people who have had kids might find it funnier as it hits closer to home.

I do agree that they need to scale waaaaay back on Maya Rudolph's character. Too much of that. But I like the leads enough to keep it on the DVR for now.
Old 09-16-11, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Achtung
and like others I didn't care for Maya Rudolph's character and wouldn't mind terribly if the show were retooled to not make her a major character. I assumed she'd be a slightly goofy, Jack Donaghy-ish voice of reason/guidance, but making her an eccentric Oprah-lite isn't working.
So apparently, they already retooled everything specifically to make her have a larger presence:

http://www.tvline.com/2011/08/up-all...-maya-rudolph/

I would have preferred the original setup.
Old 09-16-11, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
(my favorite thing was the you were asleep when I was awake, no you were asleep when I was awake conversation, since we go through that a lot)
Yes, totally forgot about that scene when i posted originally. That was very true-to-life and funny.
Old 09-16-11, 10:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just watched it, thought it stunk, doubt I will give it a 2nd look...
Old 09-16-11, 11:34 AM
Cool New Member

Overall I thought it was okay.

Really liked the part with Will Arnett lost in the grocery story looking for cheese and calling his wife for help while she's at work. It hit close to home. I've been that guy.

Seriously, the put the cheese in like 10 different places.
Old 09-16-11, 11:37 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Married - No Kids - we both watched and enjoyed it.. Will watch again
Old 09-16-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
This was actually the funniest part of the entire show for me. As a sleep-deprived father of 3 (including now 9-month-old twins), this was very realistic. No lie, i have gone to the store many times and had to call my wife to ask where the hell things are. I know where the staples are - but if you asked me to find some specific random item, i could be there for hours unless i asked someone.

so maybe i'm neutered. or grocery stores are just too damn confusing now. I do agree that they should have made the item something other than "normal cheese". there's a freaking HUGE deli counter, dude.

overall, the show was underwhelming. Arnett/Applegate switched from moments of absolutely no chemistry to moments of decent to acceptable chemistry.

But my #1 complaint? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much Maya Rudolph. I don't need to see her play a mix of her Oprah/Whitney Houston impressions. The office stuff fell flat for me.

This was my #1 anticipated show this season (again, see "father of twin babies" above), but it fell flat. I will give it some more episodes, though.
You know, in the beginning before they mentioned the lawfirm bit, I thought he was a retired hockey player or something, and so I thought it was ok that he was completely lost in the grocery store. But he's not, he's a retired lawyer, and he can't find "normal" cheese, and doesn't know how grocery stores became so big?

Otherwise, it was good enough that I'll give it a shot. Not a big fan of the jerky Battlestar-Galactica type camerawork, but at least there's no laugh track.
Old 09-16-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I hope the show does well in future weeks, but next week it's facing Survivor, X Factor and The Middle, so it's got some tough competition.
I thought this was pretty good. I can see it developing into something a lot funnier. After all, the cast is a strong one, but the above comment is the thing that I'm most worried about in regards to this show's long-term prospects. It is going to have some seriously heavy competition, especially with Survivor and X-Factor. It could really use a different night.
Old 09-16-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Terrible show. No laughs. No chemistry.
Old 09-16-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this as awful as the previews?
Old 09-16-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was alright. I'll give it a couple more episodes before making the decision to drop it or not.
Old 09-16-11, 10:16 PM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I like Arnett, Applegate and Rudolph so I gave this a look. It wasn’t really that good. It was the pilot so I’ll give it a couple more episodes but it is looking bleak.

It made me remember a Bob Newhart interview I read years ago. The interviewer asked Newhart why in his two shows the couple never had a baby. Newhart responded that babies are just not that funny. I’m beginning to think his was right all along.
Old 09-16-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I liked it. As someone who has had a kid recently, many truthful things in there. Fighting about who dealt with the kid more, thinking you are in hell, etc.
Old 09-16-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just finished watching this, I laughed more than I thought I would. I'll definitely give this a little longer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.