Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Happy 20th Anniversary, Batman the Animated Series!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

For all the (mostly deserved) acclaim Christopher Nolan gets for his contribution to the Batman mythos, lest not forget the true Batman torchbearer of the 1990s--Batman the Animated Series. It premiered 20 years ago this month, and it deserves a thread where we can name our favorite episodes and special memories of one of the greatest TV series ever broadcast (of any genre).

My favorite episode: (a tie) "Two-Face" parts I and II and "Almost Got 'Im".

However, I just want to post one of my favorite scenes from another episode entirely that ties into The Dark Knight Rises:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8zaJdLb07NU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Animated Batman was the most badass of all the Batman incarnations. And this show was so ingenious that it was able to make Robin cool.

Last edited by PatD; 09-12-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 12:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Happy 20th Anniversary, Batman the Animated Series!

Batman: TAS is still the standard any Batman story has to reach to, IMO.
Old 09-12-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I think the DC Dini/Timm Animated Universe is still probably the best interpretation of many of the characters and storylines in all of DC comics' history.
Old 09-12-12, 02:53 PM

Favorite episodes?
Old 09-12-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked the ones they adapted from the early Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams stories and the one with the kids telling their versions of Batman with the homage to Frank Miller's version.
Old 09-12-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I love "Almost Got Im" and "Legends of the Dark Knight" as well. Also dig Robin's Reckoning, they did a great job with that.
Old 09-12-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Over the Edge and Girls Night Out
Old 09-12-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Such a great show. Really everything that Batman should be was portrayed to perfection in this series. Loved the style it was animated in and Kevin Conroy is still the definitive voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman for me, his voice is what I imagine when I read Batman comics. Some favorite episodes: Heart of Ice, Two Face Parts 1 and 2, Robin's Reckoning Parts 1 and 2, The Mechanic, Almost Got 'Im, The Laughing Fish, Beware the Gray Ghost, If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?, and of course the movie Mask of the Phantasm. I could really keep rattling off episodes there's just so many good ones but those are some favorites.
Old 09-12-12, 04:45 PM

I'd like to mention "Dreams in Darkness" (if for nothing other than the awesome Batman hallucination sequence--its a great episode for other reasons too). And, "Harley's Holiday" which is the best Harley Quinn-centric episode, portraying in an unusually sympathetic light--even with her smooching Batman!
Old 09-12-12, 06:47 PM

Don't have a lot to add other than I agree that the quality of this series was up there with the best of anything that's ever been on television.
Old 09-12-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if anyone is interested but the show has some pretty awesome music and I just found out that La La Land Records recently re-released the Batman: The Animated Series Soundtrack. It was released previously a few years back and had been fetching some pretty ridiculous prices on eBay. They also have a second volume out now as well. I ordered the first volume and will probably get the second soon too.

Edit: Fuck it, I ordered volume 2 too. A bit expensive for both volumes but I know I'll regret not getting them if they sell out before I can purchase.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-12-12 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 09:59 PM

^^
I liked how each individual villain had his/her own theme song. There's a scene in "The Dark Secret of Bruce Wayne" where Joker, Penguin, and Two-Face exits an airplane and their individual theme song plays for each one as each one appears. It was one of the nifty little things I loved about the series from the get-go.
Old 09-13-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome series! I really shoulda jumped on that complete series when it was only $75....
Old 09-13-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Heart of Ice" is my personal favorite, and it's also got a great commentary track on the DVD. Compared to, say, Arnold in "Batman & Robin", it's amazing to see such a difference in character quality and effectiveness. Batman: TAS really is the total package and a definitive animated series: smart writing, great music, a unique and effective art style and more. I also have fond memories of watching the show as a teenager with my dad, and that never hurts.
Old 09-13-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
^^
I liked how each individual villain had his/her own theme song. There's a scene in "The Dark Secret of Bruce Wayne" where Joker, Penguin, and Two-Face exits an airplane and their individual theme song plays for each one as each one appears. It was one of the nifty little things I loved about the series from the get-go.
The villains had their own theme songs in the '60s TV series, so TAS was just continuing that.
Old 09-13-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
"Heart of Ice" is my personal favorite, and it's also got a great commentary track on the DVD. Compared to, say, Arnold in "Batman & Robin", it's amazing to see such a difference in character quality and effectiveness. Batman: TAS really is the total package and a definitive animated series: smart writing, great music, a unique and effective art style and more. I also have fond memories of watching the show as a teenager with my dad, and that never hurts.
That was a FANTASTIC episode, which if memory serves won an Emmy for writing.
Old 09-13-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I always loved the female characters on the show. BTAS has the definitive version of Batgirl for me. If I have a complaint against the show, it would be that many of the stories shied away from directly featuring Batman in action. He was often a secondary character on his own show.
Old 09-13-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Awesome series! I really shoulda jumped on that complete series when it was only $75....
I got it from Amazon during one of those sales. Easily one of my rarest and most commonly-bootlegged releases in my collection. It's nice having a legit copy.

I'll never understand why WHV has allowed the similarly-formatted Superman, Batman Beyond and Justice League sets to remain in-print while leaving the Batman set long-OOP.
Old 09-13-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

This makes me feel old. I remember impatiently waiting for school to end so I could go home and watch this show and Gargoyles.
Old 09-13-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I got it from Amazon during one of those sales. Easily one of my rarest and most commonly-bootlegged releases in my collection. It's nice having a legit copy.

I'll never understand why WHV has allowed the similarly-formatted Superman, Batman Beyond and Justice League sets to remain in-print while leaving the Batman set long-OOP.
I really wish Warner would put it back in production as even though I already have all four volumes I'd probably pick it up again for any additional bonus material and whatnot. I do have the complete series set for Batman Beyond but I'm not as big of a fan of it (it's still a good show in it's own right though).

Also I've heard this is supposed to be a great book for fans of the series:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006107327X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0CNV7GPBJT4S2E3XTX4H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
Old 09-13-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Owning all 4 DCAU complete-series sets I have to say there isn't a single feature on any of the 4 bonus discs beyond that feature-length Secret Origins doc that's on the BB set thats worth obtaining and that's available on its own anyway.

The packaging is nice and having 20 more minutes of extras on a 17th disc is better than not having it but I can't even remember what's on the disc.

And no, don't bother PMing me, I'm still not getting rid of it.
Old 09-13-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My parents bought me a Panasonic 3D0 when it dropped in price to $400. I'll never forget opening it up at that price back then and only getting a demo disc. What's on the demo disc? Heart of Ice! First one I saw and favorite episode to this day.

(Though I am fond of the one where Joker torments that one guy for years about the favor he owes and calls him back simply to open a door lmao. "But look at the size of that cake man!")
Old 09-13-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Owning all 4 DCAU complete-series sets I have to say there isn't a single feature on any of the 4 bonus discs beyond that feature-length Secret Origins doc that's on the BB set thats worth obtaining and that's available on its own anyway.

The packaging is nice and having 20 more minutes of extras on a 17th disc is better than not having it but I can't even remember what's on the disc.

And no, don't bother PMing me, I'm still not getting rid of it.
I don't blame you. The main reason I want it is to have the box to put up on display with my Batman Beyond complete set.
Old 09-13-12, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favourite episodes are Beware The Grey Ghost, Feat Of Clay, Christmas With The Joker, Nothing To Fear, and Two Face parts 1 and 2.
Old 09-13-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Still the definitive Batman in my book and it's not even close. It originally aired while I was in grad school which was perfect timing and provided a much needed mental break and then the reruns came along when my boys were entering their superhero phase so I got to revisit the show all over again. "Heart of Ice" is top-notch of course but my most-watched episode is "Beware the Gray Ghost."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.