TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- "Fifty-One" -- 8/05/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- "Fifty-One" -- 8/05/12

Originally Posted by bluetoast
My bad, but yeah, the whole back and forth in season 5 was great.
I love how the whole arc played out - great casting too. Whitaker really personified the twitchy IA guy well.

They need him on BB!
Old 08-07-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like people are imagining this to me. I don't see why at this point Jesse has a reason to spy on Walt. The only thing I could see is if he was somehow suspicious of Brock's poisoning last season, but there hasn't been any indication yet to show that he thinks Walt did it.
I agree people are reading too much into it. Jesse is not a criminal mastermind. The most I read into it was "time is running out" or...to stretch further..."this watch ticking is a "telltale heart" because you poisoned that kid"
Old 08-07-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I agree people are reading too much into it. Jesse is not a criminal mastermind. The most I read into it was "time is running out" or...to stretch further..."this watch ticking is a "telltale heart" because you poisoned that kid"
Yeah, or like someone else said it could also be a referene to what Mike said earlier in the season about Walt being a ticking time bomb.
Old 08-07-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Yeah, or like someone else said it could also be a referene to what Mike said earlier in the season about Walt being a ticking time bomb.
Even better!
Old 08-07-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I love how the whole arc played out - great casting too. Whitaker really personified the twitchy IA guy well.

They need him on BB!
Did you notice that one higher up police guy, I believe Claudette's immediate superior, he played the detective that investigated Walt's disappearance and later talked to Hank about Gale's case. Good to see him again.
Old 08-07-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

This show needs some levity. How about a visit from Skyler and Marie's wacky mom or something?
Old 08-07-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Okay, I get it. Walt isn't Mother Theresa by any means. Poisoning Brock last season pretty much sealed the deal with him heading to the dark side. And yeah I get it, him continuing to manufacture Meth makes him a criminal.

Now if you compared him to someone like Vic Mackey, who shot and killed an Undercover Cop, covered it up. Constantly committed adultery and also committed armed robbery. Who would you say is a more vile, despicable human being? Walt at least initially went into this world with noble intentions, but now has become consumed by it.
Old 08-07-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

But isn't the Meth Walt makes healthier and safer than other Meth that came before his? I would say that puts him in the good guy camp .
Old 08-07-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I was going to post something similar. Selling meth is definitely a noble venture.
Old 08-07-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The bedroom scene with Skyler and Walt. Walt is just downright sadistic at this point.
How so? Walt just doesnt want his kids taken away from him.
Old 08-07-12, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay, I get it. Walt isn't Mother Theresa by any means. Poisoning Brock last season pretty much sealed the deal with him heading to the dark side.
I agree that Walt isnt goody two shoes, but I dont get the hate for the poisoning Brock. If Walt had not done that,
--Hank would have been dead
--Walt would have been dead
(best case scenario)

With poisoning Brock, there was a reasonable chance that Brock, Hank and Walt would live.
Old 08-07-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
How so? Walt just doesnt want his kids taken away from him.
Walt essentially was threatening her. Regardless of if he doesn't want his kids taken away from him the way he was talking to her sounded fairly threatening. He didn't outright say that he would do anything to physically harm her, but still was threatening to damage her reputation and call into question her mental capacity. Granted she may have some issues but most of it has probably been brought on by stress relating to Walt being involved in the meth business.
Old 08-07-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that Walt isnt goody two shoes, but I dont get the hate for the poisoning Brock. If Walt had not done that,
--Hank would have been dead
--Walt would have been dead
(best case scenario)

With poisoning Brock, there was a reasonable chance that Brock, Hank and Walt would live.

Walt is smart enough to figure out just how much Ricin was needed. I don't think Brock being dead was his intention. Could Brock have had a allergic reaction and died? Maybe. I guess one would consider him a monster just for gambling with a kids life. But it ended up doing more good than harm.
Old 08-07-12, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I guess one would consider him a monster just for gambling with a kids life.
Old 08-07-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Walt is smart enough to figure out just how much Ricin was needed.
he didn't poison him with Ricin, though.
Old 08-07-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
he didn't poison him with Ricin, though.
Sorry mental fart. Lily of the Valley.
Old 08-07-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Maybe but let me just say put in a life or death or family death situation you'd be surprise what a rational person would do to protect themselves and family.
Old 08-07-12, 09:53 PM

Walt essentially was threatening her.
Yes, he was threatening her, but it was not for sadistic pleasure. He was fighting to keep his children. What is he supposed to do, just let his wife take the kids away? Or give her flowers and chocolate and politely ask her to back down (which would not work)?

Walt may be the one speaking harshly, but it is his wife who attacked first with the threats

Last edited by wearetheborg; 08-07-12 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 09:57 PM

Walt is smart enough to figure out just how much Ricin was needed. I don't think Brock being dead was his intention. Could Brock have had a allergic reaction and died? Maybe. I guess one would consider him a monster just for gambling with a kids life. But it ended up doing more good than harm.
(Not directed at Larry C)

I love some of the hypocrisy in this thread. How many of you contribute most of your savings to charities? I can pretty much guarentee that you can save several children's lives with charity money.
Logically, when you dont do this, you are doing the same thing as Walt --- you are placing your and your families well being above that of random kids that you do not know. You do this every day. But it is not in your face and this allows you to ignore it.

Last edited by wearetheborg; 08-07-12 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not giving to charity is the same thing as poisoning a child?
Old 08-07-12, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Not giving to charity is the same thing as poisoning a child?
In both cases, your actions dictate what happens to a childs life.
So logically yes, they are equivalent.

There was a quiz posted recently on how consistent people are with regard to ethics/morality/right-wrong. They had more examples like this.

EDIT: A kind of example that can be given

There is a button in front of you.

Scenario 1:
Pressing button will kill a child. You are given the option of pressing the button, and if you press the button, you will get 1 million $ and the child will die. Thus, this is like a hit contract.

Scenario 2:
You are given a million dollars upfront. No strings attached. You won the lottery.
Now, if you press the button, you will SAVE the childs life, but you will also lose the 1 million dollars that you were just given.

What will you do in scenarios 1 and 2?

Last edited by wearetheborg; 08-07-12 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at a red light a few weeks ago and there was a man begging for money. I didn't give him any. By not giving him money, I basically butchered him and ate his flesh for dinner. I'm a sicko.

If only Jeffrey Dahmer would have given donations to the March of Dimes, everything else he did could be forgiven.
Old 08-07-12, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dino88
I was at a red light a few weeks ago and there was a man begging for money. I didn't give him any. By not giving him money, I basically butchered him and ate his flesh for dinner. I'm a sicko.

If only Jeffrey Dahmer would have given donations to the March of Dimes, everything else he did could be forgiven.
Old 08-07-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a button in front of you.

Scenario 1:
Pressing button will kill a child. You are given the option of pressing the button, and if you press the button, you will get 1 million $ and the child will die. Thus, this is like a hit contract.

Scenario 2:
You are given a million dollars upfront. No strings attached. You won the lottery.
Now, if you press the button, you will SAVE the childs life, but you will also lose the 1 million dollars that you were just given.

What will you do in scenarios 1 and 2?
Twist: The child is actually Hitler! Discuss.

---

EDIT:

There is a difference between those two scenarios though, albeit slight. Scenario 1 requires action for the child to die and Scenario 2 requires inaction. Acting to effect a certain consequence is different than failing to act and a consequence that was already going to happen taking place. In Scenario 1 you are the one that is actively killing the child, whereas in Scenario 2 someone else is going to kill the child and will die if you fail to act. You are to blame in Scenario 2, but second only to the person actually doing the killing. In other words, the real culprit is the one who did the killing, not the one who stood idly be.

I absolutely wouldn't push the button in Scenario 1. And I am confident that I would push the button in Scenario 2. Someone's life is worth more than money and I don't think it would be hard to find a lot of people who would agree with that. Just because someone doesn't donate money to a charity though doesn't mean they are guilty of the moral shortcoming of the hypothetical individual who didn't push the button in Scenario 2.

Walt is no longer a character I can root for because he has lost the redeeming qualities he had at the start of the show. He isn't doing this to provide for his family or out of desperation; he's doing it because it makes him feel powerful and he gets off on it. Walt has become just as bad as Gus, using children as though they were pawns in a game. Anyone remember Tomas and Jesse's reaction to his death? Walt didn't kill Brock, but does anyone really think he would have cared if the kid died? Brock was expendable, just like pretty much everyone else in Walt's eyes.

Last edited by kstublen; 08-07-12 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 10:52 PM
Banned

Dunno if anyone else caught it, but Vince Gilligan was on Conan tonight and they aired a clip from next week's episode. Looks intense!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.