Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- "Fifty-One" -- 8/05/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- "Fifty-One" -- 8/05/12

Great stuff last night. Alot of really intense scenes, especially between Walt and Skyler.

Skyler's head looks like it's ready to explode everytime we see her in a scene with Walt. I guess her perspective in the whole situation makes some sense. Now that Walt has essentially taken over the lead in the Meth dealing business in ABQ, she sees all the shady characters he deals with daily as threats to her and his kids. Plus, she doesn't want Walt Jr to find out his father is a criminal. However, I think she's being sort of hypocritical since only a few months ago, she was more than a willing participant in the laundering/car wash business and seemed to have no problem with it then.

It's funny how this whole self righteous stance of hers basically stemmed from her learning that Walt took out Gus. If Gus got arrested instead, would she be acting any different? As I said last week, I had no problems with Walt taking out Gus and don't look at it as he's now a cold blooded killer. Walt's priority is his family and he was protecting them 1st. He's definitely not the mild mannered science teacher anymore, but I don't see him as someone without any redeeming qualities.

I loved their conversation in the bedroom and I especially loved how Walt turned the tables on her when she made that ridiculous threat to make him a wife beater, which he knew noone would believe.
Old 08-06-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I loved their conversation in the bedroom and I especially loved how Walt turned the tables on her when she made that ridiculous threat to make him a wife beater, which he knew noone would believe.
That was amazing, and one of my favorite scenes of the season. Great direction, too, as the room felt like it was getting smaller and smaller with every point Walt made. Still, I thought her last line - "For the cancer to come back." - was devastating. With all of his expert manipulation and cunning and intellect, he's not going to be able to outsmart his own body.

I also liked how it looked like Pskylar was wading into a pool of the blue meth. Mmm, symbolism.
Old 08-06-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Great stuff last night. Alot of really intense scenes, especially between Walt and Skyler.

Skyler's head looks like it's ready to explode everytime we see her in a scene with Walt. I guess her perspective in the whole situation makes some sense. Now that Walt has essentially taken over the lead in the Meth dealing business in ABQ, she sees all the shady characters he deals with daily as threats to her and his kids. Plus, she doesn't want Walt Jr to find out his father is a criminal. However, I think she's being sort of hypocritical since only a few months ago, she was more than a willing participant in the laundering/car wash business and seemed to have no problem with it then.

It's funny how this whole self righteous stance of hers basically stemmed from her learning that Walt took out Gus. If Gus got arrested instead, would she be acting any different? As I said last week, I had no problems with Walt taking out Gus and don't look at it as he's now a cold blooded killer. Walt's priority is his family and he was protecting them 1st. He's definitely not the mild mannered science teacher anymore, but I don't see him as someone without any redeeming qualities.

At the same time though from her perspective before all she knew was Walt was just cooking meth which in and of itself is bad enough. I think that taking out Gus showed her just how far he's really willing to go and probably sent her mind racing if he's murdered before. She's looking out for herself, Walt Jr., and Holly. I can't really say I blame her to be honest. Walt is dangerous and the line of business he finds himself in could put the family in danger as well.
Old 08-06-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walt's priority is his family and he was protecting them 1st. He's definitely not the mild mannered science teacher anymore, but I don't see him as someone without any redeeming qualities.
I don't think that is the case at this point. I think Walt is all about Walt right now. I seriously believe that Skylab's life in danger at this point. And if Walt crosses that line, the whole "protecting my family" angle will be moot.
Old 08-06-12, 02:10 PM

Never mind the fact that this whole "business" puts his family at risk. It's not about providing for them any more. It all about Walt's ego.
Old 08-06-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
At the same time though from her perspective before all she knew was Walt was just cooking meth which in and of itself is bad enough. I think that taking out Gus showed her just how far he's really willing to go and probably sent her mind racing if he's murdered before. She's looking out for herself, Walt Jr., and Holly. I can't really say I blame her to be honest. Walt is dangerous and the line of business he finds himself in could put the family in danger as well.
I thought another big turn for Skylar was seeing how scared Ted was of her. She doesn't want to end up like Walt. It was "fun" when it was just about the money. But it's so far past that now.

I love this show is willing to "go there" with Walt and Skylar. I think any other show would try to patch these two up with a happy ending, but there is really no going back from what they said to each other. I thought the "I can't even keep you out of my bed" was particularly brutal. That one had to hurt Walt's ego pretty badly.
Old 08-06-12, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show is going to be a good social experiment to observe just how many viewers are mindless drones who will support a main character no matter what he does. Gilligan has already stated numerous times, that this show is meant to display the creation of a villain. Hell, he's stated in interviews this season that Walt is basically evil at this point, and with all the manipulation of Jesse, Mike, and Skylar the show is clearly trying to hammer it into our heads that Walt is fucking scary and creepy now.

He's said that near the end of this eight episode run Walt will do something unforgivable. I wonder how many posters will attempt to take his side even after this.

Originally Posted by troystiffler
EIther way, I root for him. He's the hero of the show.
I hope you're rooting for him to die alone in a ditch, because that's where it's headed.
Old 08-06-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

He's the classic anti-hero, someone you root for but at the same time, you want to see him get what he deserves.
Old 08-06-12, 02:33 PM

Anna Gunn is an excellent actress who can knock it out of the park when the ball's teed up for her.
Old 08-06-12, 03:31 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I liked "Fly" as well. Never really understood why so many people dislike it.
I think we all explained pretty will why we had big problems with it.

Great episode, although I'm getting a little concerned that we're halfway through the season and there's no clear path yet.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
He's said that near the end of this eight episode run Walt will do something unforgivable. I wonder how many posters will attempt to take his side even after this.
He's already done plenty of unforgivable stuff so it's probably not gonna change. Besides, WHO CARES?
Old 08-06-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

This show is going to be a good social experiment to observe just how many viewers are mindless drones who will support a main character no matter what he does. Gilligan has already stated numerous times, that this show is meant to display the creation of a villain. Hell, he's stated in interviews this season that Walt is basically evil at this point, and with all the manipulation of Jesse, Mike, and Skylar the show is clearly trying to hammer it into our heads that Walt is fucking scary and creepy now.

Dude, it's a TV show. It's not like we're voting Walter White into office or letting him watch our kids. Who cares if people root for him?
Old 08-06-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Dude, it's a TV show. It's not like we're voting Walter White into office or letting him watch our kids. Who cares if people root for him?
I think what he's getting at is a lot of people are trying to make it out like Walt really isn't a bad guy and is just looking out for his family. It's clear at this point that's not really the case and all Walt cares about is money and stroking his own ego. The character is definitely very interesting but at this point I find it hard to root for him.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-06-12 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I hope you're rooting for him to die alone in a ditch, because that's where it's headed.
Sounds good! It should be an emotional episode.

I have a strong affinity for seeing a protagonist die. Think of all the GREAT movies that end with characters dying. I find that end of life moment fascinating.
Old 08-06-12, 05:27 PM
Banned

I think what he's getting at is a lot of people are trying to make it out like Walt really isn't a bad guy and is just looking out for his family. It's clear at this point that's not really the case and all Walt cares about is money and stroking his own ego. The character is definitely very interesting but at this point I find it hard to root for him.
Exactly. Yes, he's obviously an extremely compelling character, but we have posters in this very thread making ridiculous assertions about him "not really being all that bad" and that his "priority is his family", when it very obviously is not, while they vilify Skylar for behaving how quite a few normal people would in such a fucked-up situation.

It's just interesting to see how many people obviously have no problem with his constant and despicable actions. I imagine at this point Walt could beat the shit out of Skylar on screen and some posters here would agree that she obviously deserved it.
Old 08-06-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

It's just interesting to see how many people obviously have no problem with his constant and despicable actions. I imagine at this point Walt could beat the shit out of Skylar on screen and some posters here would agree that she obviously deserved it.
Depends on the situation. Maybe she wasn't in the kitchen making a sandwich for Walt or Breakfast for Walt Jr.?
Old 08-06-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

god this show is fucking insane. that bedroom scene was intense and unreal.
Old 08-06-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can understand her worry. For all she knows, there could be another Gus out there that puts the family in jeopardy. And with Walt so far into the drug game, she knows there's likely a good chance of more bad things to happen.
Old 08-06-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pza2002
Yeah I couldn't tell if this show was sponsored by Chrysler or anything.
Yeah - that first scene was in Damages season 2 territory, but I think the way it was done here was tongue in cheek like 'we know we have to do this so let's go all out' and make it obvious as hell and have fun.

--

That scene in the backyard was awesome and Walt at the end with the the guy that gave me this watch lines was amazing.
Old 08-06-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd estimate there was between 8-10 minutes of good TV during this hour. The rest was a bore.

Skyler's a wet fart and the kid is an uninteresting turd. Too bad they featured so prominintly in this episode.
Old 08-06-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I'd estimate there was between 8-10 minutes of good TV during this hour. The rest was a bore.

Skyler's a wet fart and the kid is an uninteresting turd. Too bad they featured so prominintly in this episode.
I estimate that you're completely wrong. About everything.

Ever.
Old 08-06-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Walt's birthday parties just get sadder and sadder.

Old 08-06-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
I estimate that you're completely wrong. About everything.

Ever.
Or maybe you just have a high tolerance for shitty, boring TV. That'd be my guess.

But I'm probably wrong.

But I doubt it.
Old 08-06-12, 07:53 PM
Banned

Or maybe you just have a high tolerance for shitty, boring TV. That'd be my guess.

But I'm probably wrong.

But I doubt it.
Troll.
Old 08-06-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Look around...nobody cares
Old 08-06-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Walt's birthday parties just get sadder and sadder.

Really interesting to see all those photos together. Forgot about his 50th b-day party.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.