TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Person of Interest -- Season Finale -- "Firewall" -- 5/17/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- Season Finale -- "Firewall" -- 5/17/12

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've seen CBS drop gainers in the past. They're weird like that.

And it is perhaps the highest rated with total viewers, which seemingly matters less and less these days. Once Upon a Time (a show I've never seen) beat it with the key demo ratings.
For a new show being on a highly competitive timeslot, it did pretty damn good. I recall the ratings went up 4-5 weeks in a row at one point and it peaked at almost 16M viewers and over 3.0.

Even though it tailed off a little, it's not going anywhere. Look, The Good Wife gets about 9-10M viewers and was barely over 2.0 on Sundays and got renewed.
Old 05-24-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,054 Likes on 835 Posts

^ The Good Wife was considered a toss up for a long time this season, I'm thinking it's Best Series nomination it got last year helped out, and I swear a 2.0 should be considered decent on Sunday Night but it didn't work that way for Cold Case or Without a Trace.
Old 05-25-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 733 Posts

The Good Wife is critically acclaimed though and things like that can matter to network executives.
Old 06-02-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the last 5 eps over the last couple of days. Glad to see the show returning. The finale was great and overall I really what their doing with the show.

As far as the twist, unfortunately I saw it coming as soon as we learned the patient was a fake that had been blackmailed via email. It seems like a bit of a stretch to think she could fake out the machine with her setup. Maybe it was naming her as a perp and not a victim. I'm not sure how much she knew about the machine, the guys setup, etc. I know she out hacked Finch but I can't recall how much info she actually acquired about them.

I'm surprised it took almost a whole page before someone mentioned Human Target. I thought of it as soon as I saw Acker was the number. I love Acker but I have to admit it was a little distracting at times because some of her lines kept making me think of HT.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to learn more about either Finch or Reese's past. Over the last five eps they filled in a lot of the gaps, but I was hoping to see Reese's ex-partner make an appearance or maybe fill in the final bits of Finch's story like they did with Reese and the girl/husband. Oh well, as long as it was renewed, I can wait.
Old 07-24-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
really good season finale for this show. I always like when a show goes for something more along the lines of a store based cliff hanger vs taking the "Lets shoot someone" easy way out. Ya know, something that might have impact on the whole next season..

vs say blowing up a building or whatever where you know the main characters are going to end up being fine with in 10min of the first ep of the next season..

oh and I'm going to guess it was subtle product placement for a higher end point and shoot with changeable lens (nikon 1 maybe?) but wow did that look out of place..

but at least they did not resort to making the guy say something like "This new camera with image magic widget power takes amazing pictures!".. I know Hawaii Five-o for example had quite a few cringe worthy lines this season when it came to product placement of phones.
Not great product placement if you don't know what make it was?

Anyways, great ending.
Old 09-01-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got hooked on this series, I had not been aware of it earlier.
It started off slow, but has built up very well.
At times, it seems a bit Human Target-ish with Reese and Team being the do-gooders, but the implementation is different and the Machine is a very nice twist.

As soon as Reese told Acker to go on her own, it was clear that she had set the whole thing up. Although, her characters last name was a dead giveaway, but I didnt think about it earlier. But Finch not picking up on it is unbelievable.

Great series.
Old 09-02-12, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also came late to this party, and enjoyed the show quite a bit. I am hoping that Amy Acker becomes a semi-regular, because I adore her.
Old 09-02-12, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I am hoping that Amy Acker becomes a semi-regular, because I adore her.
+1
Even after having a baby, she looks fantastic!
Old 09-02-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,755 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Just got hooked on this series, I had not been aware of it earlier.
It started off slow, but has built up very well.
At times, it seems a bit Human Target-ish with Reese and Team being the do-gooders, but the implementation is different and the Machine is a very nice twist.

As soon as Reese told Acker to go on her own, it was clear that she had set the whole thing up. Although, her characters last name was a dead giveaway, but I didnt think about it earlier. But Finch not picking up on it is unbelievable.

Great series.
I'm glad you joined in, although super late.

Just curious how did you not hear about this show? It was on Thursday nights, which is the most high profile night of television next to Sundays. Plus, it was the highest rated (Nielsen ratings) new scripted drama of this past season. And the creator is Jonathan Nolan, Christopher's brother, and co-writer of the Dark Knight movies. Unless CBS is not on your radar at all?
Old 09-02-12, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm glad you joined in, although super late.

Just curious how did you not hear about this show? It was on Thursday nights, which is the most high profile night of television next to Sundays. Plus, it was the highest rated (Nielsen ratings) new scripted drama of this past season. And the creator is Jonathan Nolan, Christopher's brother, and co-writer of the Dark Knight movies. Unless CBS is not on your radar at all?
TBH, I get all my info about new shows to watch from dvdtalk
I must have missed the weekly threads.

Recently, there the thread on "Why arent you watching ...", and I was looking at the shows listed. I tried
Person of Interest (loved it)
Justified (loving it)
New Girl (hated it)

Before that, excellent and not so excellent shows I obtained from dvdtalk:
Breaking bad
Dexter
Veronica Mars
Happy endings
Fringe
Chuck
Angel
Firefly
In plain sight (ok-ish)
Battlestar Galactica (did not like)
Heroes (1st season good)
True blood (meh)

Any other shows you guys think I might like?