Old 05-17-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Person of Interest -- Season Finale -- "Firewall" -- 5/17/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-10-20

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Amy Acker ("Angel," "Cabin in the Woods") Guest Stars As the Psychologist and POI

"Firewall" - When a psychologist's number comes up, Reese must protect her from one of her patients while eluding capture by the FBI, who are closing in fast. Meanwhile, Finch receives an unwelcome visit from an old acquaintance, on the first season finale of PERSON OF INTEREST, Thursday, May 17 (9:00 - 10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Amy Acker ("Angel," "Cabin in the Woods") guest stars as the POI.

Episode 23 of 23

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pmEWnGB8HVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great 1st season. Hope it ends really strong. Best network action that was outside the box of what CBS normally does. I hope some of you who bailed for whatever reason will watch some of the re-airs this summer and come back in the Fall.
Old 05-17-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- Season Finale -- "Firewall" -- 5/17/12

This, along with New Girl are my two new favorite shows. NO way in hell have I remotely considered baling on this. It's all-around fantastic and the best Batman TV series without being called Batman.
Old 05-17-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That was a fantastic episode. And I loved how it all fell into place for an interesting new dynamic next season.
Old 05-17-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
This, along with New Girl are my two new favorite shows. NO way in hell have I remotely considered baling on this. It's all-around fantastic and the best Batman TV series without being called Batman.
I've always thought of "POI" as sort of a modern re-working of "The Shadow", though with "Lamont Cranston" broken into three characters, -"Reese" "Finch" and "The Machine".
Old 05-17-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, what a season finale.
Old 05-18-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

that was the best damned season finale i've seen in years. one incredibly suspenseful hour of tv, w/ a potentially startling and game changing reveal at the very end. I wondered what Finch answering the pay phone a few episodes back was supposed to signify....I guess we know he's not alone after all. or is the machine calling? I'll sure as hell be tuning in next fall to find out.

Amazingly strong freshman season. one of the best new shows on network tv in a long time. I can't wait to go back and watch them all again.
Old 05-18-12, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I've always thought of "POI" as sort of a modern re-working of "The Shadow", though with "Lamont Cranston" broken into three characters, -"Reese" "Finch" and "The Machine".
With Jonathan Nolan responsible for the show, who co-wrote both "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises", I immediately got the Batman vibe and thought of Reese as Batman, while Finch is a combination of both Bruce Wayne and Alfred in that he's rich and charitable like Wayne, looks after his charge of sorts by taking Reese in and giving him a purpose, similar to Alfred. Detective Carter is essentially Gordon, unofficially helping while trying to pursue the vigilante in the suit. It's just not a Batsuit

The idea of "The Machine" was to me similar to the sonar / cellphone monitoring program Batman developed in "The Dark Knight" only taken much further.

So knowing Jonathan Nolan was responsible for this show I immediately drew parallels to Batman.

One thing sort of picked up on a minute or so after she spoke to Finch was that Amy Acker's character is actually
Spoiler:
the hacker in previous episodes, making "Acker The Hacker", so to speak. Her name "Root" and the remote hard drive wipe and all, it took a minute to realize. It was clear in those previous episodes that it was a woman responsible, so making her that character is all the better. "Angel" was my favorite show so if she appears from time to time, it's all good.

This show better hit Blu-ray, that's for damn sure. Absolutely amazing season.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 05-18-12 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
This show better hit Blu-ray, that's for damn sure. Absolutely amazing season.
It is coming to BD. Unfortunately, the price tag over at Amazon is a hefty $62.97 and there doesn't seem to be a coupon (yet).
Old 05-18-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It is coming to BD. Unfortunately, the price tag over at Amazon is a hefty $62.97 and there doesn't seem to be a coupon (yet).
That's just an early rough estimate price that Amazon typically does when they have no release information. The studio hasn't even officially announced a release yet with an MSRP. It's going to be alot cheaper than that.
Old 05-18-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's going to be alot cheaper than that.
Well that's good news.
Old 05-18-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

really good season finale for this show. I always like when a show goes for something more along the lines of a store based cliff hanger vs taking the "Lets shoot someone" easy way out. Ya know, something that might have impact on the whole next season..

vs say blowing up a building or whatever where you know the main characters are going to end up being fine with in 10min of the first ep of the next season..

oh and I'm going to guess it was subtle product placement for a higher end point and shoot with changeable lens (nikon 1 maybe?) but wow did that look out of place..

but at least they did not resort to making the guy say something like "This new camera with image magic widget power takes amazing pictures!".. I know Hawaii Five-o for example had quite a few cringe worthy lines this season when it came to product placement of phones.
Old 05-18-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
I know Hawaii Five-o for example had quite a few cringe worthy lines this season when it came to product placement of phones.
Only phones? They're slacking.
Old 05-18-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Amazing episode! Didn't predict the twist at all.

Give this show at least one Emmy
Old 05-18-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I sort of suspected the plot twist, but wasn't totally sure. This show is fucking awesome. So glad it gets the ratings it does, and is on CBS, so we get more.

Best part of the entire episode was the end when John was speaking to the camera and the computer changed it's directive to help him find Finch.
Old 05-18-12, 05:29 PM

Next to Fringe, this is by far the best show on TV right now. Smart, funny, interesting plotlines, deep characters, and a great sense of pacing and delivery. Finally, America has chosen well: 14m viewers and averaging near 3.0 in the demos (2.5 for the finale)
Old 05-18-12, 05:56 PM

I can't believe that a new show that I enjoy actually got good ratings and was renewed for another season. My other favorite new shows this season were Terra Nova, Alcatraz, and Missing .

I enjoyed every minute of Person Of Interest this season.
Old 05-18-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

With an episode name like "Firewall," I kinda guessed we might see the return of root, but when the whole episode had gone by without much computer stuff, I kinda forgot about it, so the twist at the end was still a pleasant surprise.

I hope we haven't seen the last of HR. There was a lot of build-up with them this season, only to have the leadership one-and-done'd in this episode. At least Fusco's HR contact (the police guy) is still kicking around, and I'm pretty sure he knows Fusco is a mole now, since he saw Fusco shooting at them during the garage rescue.

Originally Posted by brizz
I wondered what Finch answering the pay phone a few episodes back was supposed to signify....I guess we know he's not alone after all. or is the machine calling?
I think the implication previously is that that is how Finch receives the numbers from The Machine. So, I guess we'll see what The Machine has to say to Reese.
Old 05-19-12, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Fantastic season finale.

Very suspenseful and action packed hour of television. Alot of it was very similar to watching an episode of 24.

I have to admit, I didn't see the big twist coming about Amy Acker's character being Root. At 1st, the whole setup of this episode reminded me of the season 1 finale of Human Target (sorry I had to bring that show up) Acker was also in that episode and this storyline had some similarities to it.

Reese was simply badass in this episode. The garage shootout was sick and I loved how calm and cool he was when he told Carter to slow down and then blew up the HR goons car.

With Finch being kidnapped by Root and Reese on his own, the writers have set up a really cool dynamic to start off next season.

Cannot wait until this returns. Kudos to Jonathan Nolan and CBS for greenlighting this series.

and it needs to be said again, Amy Acker is fucking hot and a good actress. How the hell does this woman not star in a hit series? Well, at least she's getting some consistent work. This TV season she was on Once Upon a Time, Grimm and now this.
Old 05-19-12, 12:10 PM

Amy Acker has been one of the cutest people ever on television for over 10 years now when she showed up wearing a potato sack and speaking nervous crazy talk, writing on walls....and so adorable doing that.
Old 05-20-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
At 1st, the whole setup of this episode reminded me of the season 1 finale of Human Target (sorry I had to bring that show up) Acker was also in that episode and this storyline had some similarities to it.
You're not alone. I thought of the same thing. In fact, I thought of how cool it'd be if Mark Valley guest starred in this show as a thinly veiled version of Christopher Chance.
Old 05-21-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I did not want this episode to end!! Wow what riveting TV. The last 3-4 weeks of this show has been some of the most exciting TV I have ever seen. Can't wait till next season.
Old 05-24-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Loved the episode, loved the season. This is the only scripted show I watch on CBS, it has done a great job filling the kick ass action void left by 24's departure.

btw, do they still have pay phones in NYC?
Old 05-24-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I sort of suspected the plot twist, but wasn't totally sure. This show is fucking awesome. So glad it gets the ratings it does, and is on CBS, so we get more.
It being on CBS is actually its biggest challenge, it gets good overall audience numbers (~13m), but its 18 - 49 "Key Demo" rating is kind of just okay (2.5, for comparison Grey's Anatomy drew a 3.9 and NCIS drew a 3.5 for its finale) and that's the number they decide a shows fate on. Any other station and a 2.5 is a keeper, for CBS it's kind of a bubble show.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-24-12 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

this was the highest rated new show last year, to my knowledge. it actually picked up ratings as the year went along. you don't drop a show like that.
Old 05-24-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
this was the highest rated new show last year, to my knowledge. it actually picked up ratings as the year went along. you don't drop a show like that.
I've seen CBS drop gainers in the past. They're weird like that.

And it is perhaps the highest rated with total viewers, which seemingly matters less and less these days. Once Upon a Time (a show I've never seen) beat it with the key demo ratings, by a pretty decent amount. I dunno, I don't like the way CBS runs their station since no show is ever "safe" unless it's the #1 or #2 show on the network. But they pull ratings.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-24-12 at 10:23 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.