Old 05-16-12, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "A Man Without Honor" -- 5/13/12

Originally Posted by superfro
Magic!
Like Penn & Teller?

Originally Posted by wishbone
The Enterprise emits a tachyon pulse and all is right with the world once again.
I'm not sure what a car rental company has to do with this...

Old 05-16-12, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Also, since everything means something on this show, when Tywin was telling Arya about his castle being vulnerable to dragons... I'm assuming that was more than just a history lesson but foreshadowing, right? Also, how many seasons do we have to endure baby dragons before we can see some real live action Skyrim?
And of course that scene was followed by the scene where Cersei said something about reigning down with fire from above to take out Stannis' ships.

Plus apparently you kill White Walkers with fire? So I'm assuming the White Walkers really aren't fans of dragons?
Old 05-16-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Hey, they got an excellent corporate structure and they... they give you the tools to be your own boss.

Hodor.
Old 05-16-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The saga is called A Song of Ice and Fire, after all.
Old 05-16-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Did Tywin talk about his castle or the castle they are currently in that was ruined centuries ago by dragons?
The ruined castle they are currently in that's called Harrenhal.

Filling in Tywin's talk...
(I'll spoiler tag, even though it's past history only and not really a spoiler)
Spoiler:

Harrenhal was build by Harren the Black (who was King of the Iron Islands and the Riverlands) to be the greatest of all castles and intended it to be impregnable. And it was impregnable to regular armies, but when Aegon the Conqueror invaded Westeros, he attacked Harrenhal with his three dragons, which melted the castle with their fire and roasted King Harren alive in the tallest tower of the castle (that tower is now called the Kingspyre). The castle has since then been little more than charred ruins for almost 300 years and is said to be haunted.
Old 05-16-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tywin walks away to the window and remarks that this will be his last war, win or lose. Arya asks if he’s ever lost a war… and Tywin turns to her and asks if he thinks he’d be in his position if he ever lost a war. Arya supposes not. Tywin turns away again, talking about how it will be called the War of the Five Kings, and his legacy will be determined by it. As he’s speaking, Arya’s looking at the side of his neck, and holding the sharp knife in her hand, clearly considering trying to kill him then and there. But then he turns, and asks her if she knows what legacy means. She turns away in time, and then shakes her head, claiming she doesn’t know. Tywin says that the legacy is what remains of you when you’re gone… leading him to discuss how Harren the Black thought that Harrenhal would be his legacy.

It was the greatest fortress ever built, with thirty-five hearths in its hall… but now it’s a blasted ruin. He asks if Arya knows how that happened and she replies dragons. He tells her she’s right and informs her that the castle could have repelled a million men… but an attack from the air with dragonfire was too much. Harren and his sons were roasted alive in the walls, because Aegon Targaryen changed the rules, and that’s why every child knows Aegon’s name three hundred years later.
http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Episodes...sode_Spoilers/
Tywin:  Aegon Targaryen changed the rules. That’s why every child alive still knows his name, three hundred years after his death.
Arya:  Aegon and his sisters.
Tywin:  Hmm?
Arya:  It wasn’t just Aegon riding his dragon. It was Rhaenys and Visenya too.
Tywin: Correct. Student of history are you?
Arya:  Rhaenys rode Meraxes. Visenya rode Rhaegar.
Tywin:  I’m sure I knew that when I was a boy.
Arya:  Visenya Targaryen was a great warrior. She had a Valyrian steel sword called Dark Sister.
Tywin:  Hm. She’s a heroine of yours I take it?
http://theromanticists.tumblr.com/

The thirty-five hearths was a nice mention from the book.
Old 05-16-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew Tywin was talking about Harrenhal. I just couldn't remember if Casterly Rock came up in that convo as well or if Popcorn was just confused.
Old 05-17-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Plus apparently you kill White Walkers with fire? So I'm assuming the White Walkers really aren't fans of dragons?
The Wight can only be killed by fire. So far we dont know what if anything can kill a White Walker.

Old 05-17-12, 05:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not...and it may seem incredibly snarky...but I was a bit disconcerted by Kat's use of the term "Stand down!" when addressing Lord Karstark.

One of the main things that impressed me most about Season One that set it apart from other shows (Camelot, anyone?) was the brilliant dialogue that seemed entirely appropriate to the setting (and, after reading the books, I could understand the source). When mentioning that the producers/writers were avoiding using popular, anachronistic phrases, I actually used "stand down" as an example of what you wouldn't hear in GOT...so imagine my dismay to hear Kat utter that very phrase.

It was the same when I heard it used in a recent western. Turned to the wife and asked, "Can you remember ever hearing the phrase before, say, five or six years ago?" Seems that 24, The Unit, and other shows with militaristic overtones brought it into the popular lexicon. I Googled the phrase and, according to the best "intel" I can find (to use more recent jargon), the first recorded usage was during WWI. Now it pops up everywhere.

The point is that the attention to detail is one of the most marvelous things about GOT (despite the President's lack of respect for that term, I think "marvelous" applies here). Every line of dialogue matters. If Robb sends out men to gather intel, I will lose a lot of respect for the writers.

I just wish they'd not take us out of the atmosphere they've created. There were dozens of other phrases Kat could have used ("Stay your hand", "Cease and desist", "Sheath your swords", "Hold, good men", "Put away your arms") rather than resorting to such modern terminology.
Old 05-17-12, 07:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thrush
The Wight can only be killed by fire. So far we dont know what if anything can kill a White Walker.
Oh...yeah...I meant to ask that a while back - have the Wight been "infected" by a White Walker (have a zombie-esque infection)?
Old 05-17-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was odd to hear Talisa ask Robb for a minute of his time as opposed to a moment of his time. Such an advanced world for a medieval setting.
Old 05-17-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Also, since everything means something on this show, when Tywin was telling Arya about his castle being vulnerable to dragons... I'm assuming that was more than just a history lesson but foreshadowing, right? Also, how many seasons do we have to endure baby dragons before we can see some real live action Skyrim?
Since we saw three dragons being born last season, its pretty weak foreshadowing...but it does illustrate the point that Dany is wandering around with three growing nuclear weapons.
Old 05-17-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Since we saw three dragons being born last season, its pretty weak foreshadowing...but it does illustrate the point that Dany is wandering around with three growing nuclear weapons.
Further to this, no one in Westeros is aware that dragons have returned to the world, are they? I can't recall a scene with anyone talking about them or of hearing rumors except for those in and around Dany's story.
Old 05-17-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought of nuclear weapons as an analogy too -- devastating power that occurred in the past but not perceived as much of a threat at the current time... at least in the back of people's minds.
Old 05-17-12, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Further to this, no one in Westeros is aware that dragons have returned to the world, are they? I can't recall a scene with anyone talking about them or of hearing rumors except for those in and around Dany's story.
IIRC, there was just the red comet thing, and somebody saying it meant the dragons had returned. But of course nobody actually believed it.
Old 05-17-12, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Don't know if this has been mentioned or not...and it may seem incredibly snarky...but I was a bit disconcerted by Kat's use of the term "Stand down!" when addressing Lord Karstark.
This rubbed me the wrong way too.

Happened to me on another show, can't remember which, where they said a modern phrase I can't stand, "he's gone missing."

Now if someone in GOT says that they need to kill someone to bring "closure" that will be the end.
Old 05-17-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"Let's utilize your dragons on this initiative... Talk with your team offline and we'll touch base EOD Friday."
Old 05-17-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought it odd that Hawkeye said to Duncan, "Someday, I think you and I are going to have a serious disagreement," in The Last of the Mohicans -- it sounded too modern for the time period. Apparently this line was removed from Mann's "Director's Expanded" version.
Old 05-17-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every time I see this thread, I think it says "A Man Without Hodor."
Old 05-17-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-17-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

She JUST arrived in Quarth, which would be the first place that news of the dragons would have a reasonable possibility of making its way back to Westeros
Old 05-17-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She JUST arrived in Quarth, which would be the first place that news of the dragons would have a reasonable possibility of making its way back to Westeros
I need to stop asking questions I know the answer to to guide other people to the proper conclusions without just flat-out saying it, because that's worked out so well for me in these threads
Old 05-17-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Didn't seem like an anachronism to me, but I checked and it seems like the phrase did originate in WWI.
Old 05-17-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
I thought of nuclear weapons as an analogy too -- devastating power that occurred in the past but not perceived as much of a threat at the current time... at least in the back of people's minds.
Your analogy doesn't really work though because Dragons don't exist anymore (as far as anyone knows) but nukes still do... unless you're implying that I should be worried about T-Rex attacks.
Old 05-17-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bran/Hodor -- the best thing since Master Blaster!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.