Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Is it that
A. Cartoons dont make enough money as shows to be profitab; or
B. Networks are greedy and want toy sales in addtition to show revenue?

Non-cartoon shows dont have toys.
Non-cartoon shows don't?

You mean like The Office, Dexter, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Star Trek?

And Cartoons sell toys, it's always been that way. It's not a revelation.
Old 03-07-13, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Cartoons used to be solely renewed on the basis of their ratings, before the early 1980s. That changed with the rise of shows like GI Joe and Transformers, which spawned massive toy lines.
I'd say somewhere in the mid-seventies. And even before then. They used to use radio programs to sell toys too Like the Lone Ranger.

I don't know why people are acting so shocked. About 90 percent of the cartoons we all watched as kids were created to sell toys. Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Mighty Max, My Little pony, Pound Puppies, Creepy Crawlers, Pokemon.

It's just how it works.
Old 03-08-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was hoping Green Lantern/Young Justice were in the remaining 10%
Old 03-08-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminal
I'd say somewhere in the mid-seventies. And even before then. They used to use radio programs to sell toys too Like the Lone Ranger.

I don't know why people are acting so shocked. About 90 percent of the cartoons we all watched as kids were created to sell toys. Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Mighty Max, My Little pony, Pound Puppies, Creepy Crawlers, Pokemon.

It's just how it works.
No, it was definitely tied to a change in the television advertising laws to children in the 1980s. The FCC changed some of the guidelines regulating children's programming.
Old 03-08-13, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Terminal
Non-cartoon shows don't?

You mean like The Office, Dexter, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Star Trek?

And Cartoons sell toys, it's always been that way. It's not a revelation.
I should have said "non-cartoon shows dont have to rely on toy sales"
Old 03-11-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

The problem with green lantern toys is that they all basically look the same, a ton of green. When the movie came out they had a movie line and a comic book line and both kinda sat there in a sea of green.

Now Young Justice and Thundercats were basically tailor made for extensive toy lines but Bandai and Mattel put out overpriced crap, and CN jerked the times around so much no way the target audience would even know how to follow it. More opportunity to sell Ben 10 toys, I guess, which CN has a bigger stake in.

I did like the John Stewart fake newsman line in the latest episode, though the anti monitor calling Hal and co for help seemed odd, as they were pretty powerless anyway.
Old 03-12-13, 09:21 PM

Wow, Aiya has gone off the deep end
Old 03-12-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Wow, Aiya has gone off the deep end
If this show had continued for another season, I really don't see how they could have brought her back as anything but a villain. She's too far gone, though everything has been planted so Razer's love for her will eventually save the day.
Old 03-17-13, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, so was Saturday's episode the last one? As PS said above Razer's love did win out...

It was a great short lived series and like I said there would have been so many more exciting stories that will never see the light of day. At least they ended this arc properly, albeit suddenly....
Old 03-17-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by yeek
Wait, so was Saturday's episode the last one? As PS said above Razer's love did win out...

It was a great short lived series and like I said there would have been so many more exciting stories that will never see the light of day. At least they ended this arc properly, albeit suddenly....
There is an episode showing up next Saturday. I don't know if it is a rerun, but it shows as new on my DVR. thing is, Young Justice isn't showing up anymore at all on my playlist, so I don't know. Seems weird to have another episode after that ending we had.

Edit: I just looked again. It is a rerun. It didn't initially have the airdate up, but now it does.
Old 03-17-13, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
There is an episode showing up next Saturday. I don't know if it is a rerun, but it shows as new on my DVR. thing is, Young Justice isn't showing up anymore at all on my playlist, so I don't know. Seems weird to have another episode after that ending we had.

Edit: I just looked again. It is a rerun. It didn't initially have the airdate up, but now it does.
Yeah Def, I was wondering about next week. When I looked last night there wasn't a listing for a new green lantern anymore so I didn't know if we had just watched the series finale. Thanks for looking.
Old 03-17-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Today I caught the rerun for this and YJ and there was an ad claiming that next week both shows were to feature new episodes.
Old 03-17-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Today I caught the rerun for this and YJ and there was an ad claiming that next week both shows were to feature new episodes.
Is that's not a perfect indictment of how poorly they marketed these shows I don't know what is. Meanwhile you can't go 15 minutes without an Annoying Orange commercial.
Old 03-17-13, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the homage in the episode to Crisis on Infinite Earths and what Krona saw when he looked at the beginning of time ...
Old 03-21-13, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Good Ending with a BLUE POWER RING following Razor.
Too Sinestro wasn't in the big fight with the Anti-Aya.