TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Originally Posted by andicus
Yes, Ned Stark's demise being the huge spoiler that some fucker posted. I had the misfortune of reading that before one of the mods killed it.

The worst part was that it was posted completely maliciously.
Yeah, I posted a warning about that right away. The idiot took the time to send harassing emails too.
Old 05-02-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daenerys' Journey so far...

I thought she was moving further west to eventually launch an assault on Westeros, and all this time she was moving east? Is this world like Earth in that if she kept going east, she'd end up on the west side of Westeros, or will she have to make that incredible distance back to the Narrow Sea?
Old 05-02-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I thought she was moving further west to eventually launch an assault on Westeros, and all this time she was moving east? Is this world like Earth in that if she kept going east, she'd end up on the west side of Westeros, or will she have to make that incredible distance back to the Narrow Sea?
Dany didn't start in Dragonstone in this show, but that was where she was born during a storm (hence: Daenerys Stormborn). OMGSPOILERZ!

Anyway, yeah she's been moving east, not west mostly because under Khal Drogo they went from Pentos (where she was) to Vaes Dothrak (where Viserys was "crowned"). The conquest of Westeros wasn't the primary goal of Drogo.

Then they raided Lhazareen (where they ended up with the witch woman who ultimately killed Drogo and Dany sacrificed to birth her dragons). After that they were in the Red Waste alone and decimated. They found Qarth.

Further to the east are Asshai (where Melisandre is from) and the shadow lands beyond Asshai which is unknown.
Old 05-02-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Further to the east are Asshai (where Melisandre is from) and the shadow lands beyond Asshai which is unknown.
It is unknown.
Old 05-02-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Dany didn't start in Dragonstone in this show, but that was where she was born during a storm (hence: Daenerys Stormborn). OMGSPOILERZ!
You know even if you're trying to be funny, posting this kind of thing does not help, and comes off incredibly douchey.

I for one did not know that was why she had that name. Would I have found out by reading the books? Guess it's a moot point now.

How important is it in the grand scheme? Probably not very, but who are you to make the decision for others?
Old 05-02-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You know even if you're trying to be funny, posting this kind of thing does not help, and comes off incredibly douchey.

I for one did not know that was why she had that name. Would I have found out by reading the books? Guess it's a moot point now.
Yes, I know it comes off douchey. Because I'm a douche.

It's in the books, well before she finally uses it without explanation in the finale of season one. That's what it's from. She didn't give it to herself and it means nothing. I wouldn't have thrown it around willy-nilly if it did mean anything more than that. You should know that by now.
Old 05-02-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

From last season's discussion,
Originally Posted by Superman07
By the way, why Stormborn instead of Targaryen? It came off as very random or at least that we had missed something concerning the name.
She was born during a storm. It's briefly mentioned early in Book 1, not sure if it's any more important than that. For the show, to that point, it was completely random and/or badass sounding.
Originally Posted by wishbone
It reminded me of Théoden addressing Gandalf in The Two Towers, "Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" Probably just a nod to those who have read the books.
Old 05-02-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, I've gotten infinitely more douchey over the last 10 months! Watch out for the season 3 premiere.
Old 05-02-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I know it comes off douchey. Because I'm a douche.

It's in the books, well before she finally uses it without explanation in the finale of season one. That's what it's from. She didn't give it to herself and it means nothing. I wouldn't have thrown it around willy-nilly if it did mean anything more than that. You should know that by now.
Well I either have a horrible recollection (could be - I started the book a while ago), or I have not reached that point in book 1 yet. I am like 50% through the first book. So if they explain her name in the first half of the book, I apologize. If they don't until later in the book, you spoiled something in the book for me.

On the bolded part, you prove you have assumed some kind of responsibility for deciding what's important enough to not spoil or spoil, books or TV. I should know that by now, you say. In your opinion, that is. Again I ask, who are you to do decide that? A professor of Martin's work?

So yes, all of us ignorant non-book readers (at this point) are in awe of your encyclopedic knowledge of this story. Is that what you need from this TV thread?
Old 05-02-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because it occurred before the events of the series AND the books. It's her goddamned name!
Old 05-02-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I either have a horrible recollection (could be - I started the book a while ago), or I have not reached that point in book 1 yet. I am like 50% through the first book. So if they explain her name in the first half of the book, I apologize. If they don't until later in the book, you spoiled something in the book for me.

On the bolded part, you prove you have assumed some kind of responsibility for deciding what's important enough to not spoil or spoil, books or TV. I should know that by now, you say. In your opinion, that is. Again I ask, who are you to do decide that? A professor of Martin's work?

So yes, all of us ignorant non-book readers (at this point) are in awe of your encyclopedic knowledge of this story. Is that what you need from this TV thread?
If you dont want things in book 1 spoiled, why are you in a season 2 (which deals with book 2) thread?
Old 05-02-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're not complaining about the map that shows her starting at Dragonstone which was never shown on the show and wasn't even introduced until season 2, though I'm sure it was mentioned in season 1 because Stannis was mentioned and that's where he lives.
Old 05-02-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dash
If you dont want things in book 1 spoiled, why are you in a season 2 (which deals with book 2) thread?
Are you implying it's only stuff from book 1 that's at risk of being spoiled here? I think we both know that's not the case. And why should this thrad deal with the books? Isn't there another thread here for that exact purpose?

I have decided to watch the show in broadcast even though I'm still catching up on the books. If the TV show spoils something in the books for me, then that's on me. But why should I be at risk of having something in the books spoiled in a TV thread if it would not have been spoiled by the TV show? See my point?

I brought this up in at least one season 1 thread that all the resident scholars on Martin weren't just spoiling the show for people but potentially the books as well. We can see how much consideration that was given.
Old 05-02-12, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114
I've never watched the opening credits save for the very first episode.

As for traveling through the wall, it always appeared to me like they were in the castle and not in a tunnel. I suppose I'm too busy trying to listen to undecipherable dialogue to pay attention to details of the set.

Obviously, my questions are stupid so I'll look elsewhere for answers. Thanks though to those who have answered them.
You're not going anywhere, we all know you're a DVD Talk employee posing as a viewer, asking all these questions just to increase traffic.

And yes, it's the dialogue's fault! Coming from someone who can be shown two pictures, one with a castle at the base of a wall, and the other of people walking out from the bottom of the other side of the wall, and still not comprehend how the wall works.

/nonfanboy
/nonbookreader
Old 05-02-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because it occurred before the events of the series AND the books. It's her goddamned name!
You haven't answered my questions though:

1) When is her name explained? First half of the first book? Or somewhere else?

2) Who are you to make decisions for others on what's important enough to spoil or not spoil?

You may not think it's a big deal, but there are many posts here that would suggest otherwise.

I haven't even stepped in the debate this season until now because I know it's pointless and some people will continue to be inconsiderate. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time now. It's sad really. I've yet to see a good explanation on why book readers have a better claim to a TV thread than those who haven't read the books yet. Anyone?
Old 05-02-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(RUSF18)
Old 05-02-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wall is not like a walk-out basement -- it is a wall and that is all.
Old 05-02-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're not complaining about the map that shows her starting at Dragonstone which was never shown on the show and wasn't even introduced until season 2, though I'm sure it was mentioned in season 1 because Stannis was mentioned and that's where he lives.
Again as I said, if it was mentioned on the show and I'm ahead of the books on some things by watching the show, that's on me. I don't recall if it was mentioned on the show but it seems familiar to me that is where she is from.
Old 05-02-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously? Her "last" name is a spoiler now?
Old 05-02-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2) Who are you to make decisions for others on what's important enough to spoil or not spoil?

You may not think it's a big deal, but there are many posts here that would suggest otherwise.

I haven't even stepped in the debate this season until now because I know it's pointless and some people will continue to be inconsiderate. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time now. It's sad really. I've yet to see a good explanation on why book readers have a better claim to a TV thread than those who haven't read the books yet. Anyone?
1) I don't know, it was a year ago that I read it. You're closer to it than I am, you tell me. I'd go back to one of her earlier chapters when she's thinking about her past.

2) You haven't explained why in the world you think it's a spoiler just because you haven't picked up on it. CRM114 thinks the wall being a wall is a spoiler because he couldn't be bothered to remember a few scenes and connect the dots.

A) So what you're saying is that, even though the world and history here is dense, unless it's explicitly mentioned on the show, it's a spoiler regardless of the fact that the ship has sailed on it.

B) Further, you're saying that anything that happened before the series never happened, even if referenced by the characters. Me talking about Robert Baratheon "killing him every night in [his] dreams" is a spoiler because it wasn't shown, just referenced.
Old 05-02-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forget where but it is mentioned at some point in the book. Per wikipedia,
Rhaella gave birth to Daenerys during fierce storm that struck Dragonstone, and so was called Stormborn, while her mother died as a result of the labor.
There is also a supplemental video on the blu-ray set narrated by the actor portraying Viserys that mentions this in the accounts of the Targaryens prior to the events of GoT.
Old 05-02-12, 11:21 AM

I hate to say it, but that map is a spoiler for me. I'm on the fourth book and there's been no sense of the scope of the lands to the east.
Old 05-02-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems to me that if your so spoiler sensative that a last name is a spoiler, you may want to avoid these threads. For the most part I think the book people have done a pretty good job at avoiding plot spoilers and are more just filling in background info when people ask. Is that really so bad?

Back on topic. I think the series has done a great job of spreading time to all the characters to progress the plot. Its really a credit to the viewers that they can absorb so much detail and keep up. I think the scenes at Harenhal have been my favortie, but thats probably becasuse I like Aryas character so much.
Old 05-02-12, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone
I forget where but it is mentioned at some point in the book. Per wikipedia,There is also a supplemental video on the blu-ray set narrated by the actor portraying Viserys that mentions this in the accounts of the Targaryens prior to the events of GoT.
I'm sure it is mentioned in the book. That was the point I was making, it's probable I haven't read that part yet.

People might be rolling their eyes at this and saying "a name's a spoiler now"?

But the point is valid: where do you draw the line? Who decides what is important enough to not be a spoiler? Simple: you can't. If it's not in the show, it should be considered a spoiler in the TV thread.
Old 05-02-12, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Seriously? Her "last" name is a spoiler now?
Ugh. No shit. I'd like to think most of us have figured out by now which posters (who have read the books) are not "spoiling" anything important...or, in this case, mentioning a small bit of history from the first book which quite obviously isn't going to be explained in the show.

The fact that somebody is watching the current season yet complaining about something being spoiled from the FIRST BOOK just boggles the mind...

I'll probably never read the goddamn books, so I'm grateful for pinata and others filling in small details on parts of the book that have already "passed" in the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.