Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-12, 08:18 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
TerryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 879
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
Jay was in the shot for a half a second in the Hunger Games sketch.
He had a knife in his hand. I think he was looking for Lorne.

"Put me in more sketches!"

Spoiler:
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:46 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 568
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Vergara did a good job but her voice just wears on me after a while and I feel like she has very little range.

Pretty funny throughout, but no big standouts for me. I'm a Wiig apologist but Gilly is just terrible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:49 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 19,198
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

This show needs more Jason Sudeikis, Jay Pharoh, Andy Samberg and Bill Hader.

I like Wiig a lot. But moreso in movies than SNL.

I still watch it every week on Hulu. But I just don't get excited to see it the way I used to.

I couldn't believe when I saw 1 Direction start. It's like a 90's boy band, just updated to a more modern Nickelodeon/Justin Beiber/Mild Hipster look. Weird.
__________________
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:53 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Anyone like the new chick?
__________________
PatCave; Flickr; Dragon*Con 2012; Comic-Con 2012
According to DGibFen, I'm a "freaking genius."
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there." - Roger Sterling
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:54 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,742
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

If she was the one in the Pantene sketch then yeah I liked her.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 10:00 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,024
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

I must apologize to Ms. Vergara... she was better than I thought. I laughed out loud a few time during this ep. It was pretty good.

I still get a kick out of Bobby's "Drunk Uncle."
__________________
I was unfortunately misinformed by my own stupidity." Bill Goldberg, Celebrity Apprentice

"My apologies to this thread for assuming you all had eyes, ears, and a decent memory." - NiCK Crush

"A Michael Bay movie is like the opening of the Ark of the Covenant; it melts my face, but I cannot look away." - slop101
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 10:03 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 19,198
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

And I like Fred Armisen too. But he's way better on Portlandia.
__________________
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 08:34 AM   #33
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 5,459
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Anyone like the new chick?
I didn't see the whole episode, but I thought she had two of the funnier bits as the lady berating the girls running the lemonade stand and as Penelope Cruz in the Pantene sketch.

For some reason, Drunk Uncle was especially funny this time.
__________________
--Kevin--
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 10:15 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 33,924
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
And I like Fred Armisen too. But he's way better on Portlandia.
That's because it's not live and not written just days before it airs. I mean, that's the major hurdle that SNL has that few people seem to point out. Notice how almost all the pre-taped segments are so much better than the live stuff. Recall how derided Tina Fey was as a writer, but now can do no wrong on 30Rock. When you have time to flush out a script and time for performance and editing, it makes all the difference in the world.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 10:34 AM   #35
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 5,459
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
When you have time to flush out a script and time for performance and editing, it makes all the difference in the world.
While I understand your point, you can't use that as a valid excuse for bad writing and execution on SNL, because doing so means that the entire concept of SNL is fundamentally flawed (and I don't think it is). SNL is intended to be an outlet for the best of comedic talents, precisely because the weekly live format requires writers who can produce tons of funny ideas quickly and performers who can execute with hardly any rehearsal. If, on the whole, it's not really working, it's because the writers and performers aren't quite up to the task, not because of the format itself.
__________________
--Kevin--
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 03:02 PM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 7,095
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Quote:
While I understand your point, you can't use that as a valid excuse for bad writing and execution on SNL, because doing so means that the entire concept of SNL is fundamentally flawed (and I don't think it is). SNL is intended to be an outlet for the best of comedic talents, precisely because the weekly live format requires writers who can produce tons of funny ideas quickly and performers who can execute with hardly any rehearsal. If, on the whole, it's not really working, it's because the writers and performers aren't quite up to the task, not because of the format itself.
True the late 80's and early 90's cast with Carvey, Hartman, Myers, Sandler, etc will never be replicated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 03:53 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,540
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

I find it interesting how many people refer to the early 90s of SNL as being so great, not to mention the years with Ferrell. Most people form those opinions from seeing sketches from the day, which more often than not are either off the site or on a Best of package. What's important to note is that even if they were to watch several sketches at a time from that era, they were all spread out over several seasons. More often than not those single sketches were the only decent bit on the whole show when originally aired, and it's been that way for a while. I remember watching SNL when I was in high school and thinking a lot of the sketches were lame and unfunny, and these were in the Sandler/Hartman years.
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 01:48 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 19,561
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

So, they just announced on Deadline that the host of the finale on May 19th is...

Mick Jagger.
__________________
DVDAf

Horror Movie Challenge:
2015
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 01:58 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,353
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction



Mike Myers cameo appearance too?
__________________
"Wishbone is spelled with an E not a 3..... *Be gone*" - Minor Threat
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 02:16 PM   #40
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,624
Re: SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: 1 Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Mike Myers cameo appearance too?
Probably a little more Jimmy Fallon.



__________________
Xbox LIVE: Matty1138
3DS Friend Code: 4613-7737-3999
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0