Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

There's no doubt that will be answered in the show. Suffice to say the Lannisters didn't give it to the Starks.

And it was book 2, so I'm not spoilering it for this thread
Old 05-01-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

Originally Posted by Hiro11
One quick show vs book question, not sure if it's book 2 or 3 related, so I'll spoiler it:
Spoiler:
I thought Arya was Roose Bolton's servant, not Tywin's at Harrenhal. Wasn't he talking to Robb in episode 2.4? The show's story makes sense, but when the hell does Bolton, a Stark bannerman, take over Harrenhal? I so confuse.
Spoiler:
Towards the end of book 2 . Arya helps them overthrow Lannister's men, but then realizes they aren't really going to do much for her either.

I just looked up the actress who is playing Ygritte
Spoiler:
who will appear next week it seems.
. Total cutie, almost too much so for the character.
Old 05-01-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never did really like the whole likelihood of Cat and Brienne escaping, especially in the show.
Old 05-02-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since they mentioned the House of the Undying in the last episode, I think it's safe to assume that Dany will be going in there. I'm desperately curious to know how they handle that and if they bring her visions into it. In particular the one that seemingly foreshadows (book 3 spoiler)
Spoiler:
The Red Wedding with the wolf-headed man sitting on the iron throne and all the dead around him. Because if they do show it, I hope they've planned ahead enough to mimic the actual event so next year people connect those with a huge HOLY SHIT moment.
Old 05-02-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Granted I still haven't read the last half of ADWD, but I don't remember Shireen doing anything but hanging out with Edric Storm who is also missing from the show.
She also hangs out with Patchface who is my favorite character from the entire series.
Old 05-02-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Since they mentioned the House of the Undying in the last episode, I think it's safe to assume that Dany will be going in there. I'm desperately curious to know how they handle that and if they bring her visions into it. In particular the one that seemingly foreshadows (book 3 spoiler)
I kind of thought they might skip the whole House of the Undying thing because it's so weird and will raise far more questions than it answers, but I guess they're putting it in. I don't remember exactly how it pushed Dany's plot forward, but I suppose it must.
Old 05-02-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that's what I assumed to until they mentioned it. I mean, they excised Vaes Tolorro completely, so why mention HotU unless they're going there? And if they're going there, what will they do with it?
Old 05-02-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the episode description for episode 7 it says "Dany receives an invitation to the house of the undying"
Old 05-03-12, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still completely floored yet pleasantly surprised they included the character of Quaithe. Looks like they are going to include most of Dany's prophecies.
Old 05-03-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Maybe they'll shorten the House of Undying visit up a lot
like:
Spoiler:
she'll just see her own vision and then the dragon will eat the heart and the place will blow up
Old 05-05-12, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
I don't think Cat's mission to Renly was common knowledge at all, but I guess we can chalk it up to either spies or lazy screenwriting. Littlefinger even going to Renly's camp was invented from thin air from the books as well, although I don't think it's a bad change.

One thing that's kind of bugged me is the seeming lack of Shireen's existence. I wonder if that might cause major deviations later on (although presumably GRRM would inform them if that were the case).
WinterIsComing.net posted this a few days ago:
UPDATE: Another rumor: according to commenter Draig, they are casting Shireen Baratheon. They are looking for an 11-year old girl. Hundreds of young actresses have already been seen. Auditions happened in London about two weeks ago, recalls to come.
Old 05-07-12, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I totally misremembering or are they throwing a curveball at us with the theft of the dragons?
Old 05-07-12, 06:53 AM

Horrible, stupid addition to the show. I can sort of buy the new Arya scenes they've added, but I guess they figured Dany didn't have enough to do in this book, so hey, let's invent some crap! Lame.
Old 05-07-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We'll have to see where it goes, but I dug the changes to Dany's story.

I didn't like the changes to Jon's, but again, I'll give it time.

This episode is really going to tick off a lot of readers though.
Old 05-07-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

It's been a long time since I've read the first three books so I came here to make sure I wasn't going crazy with the dragon theft scene. Glad to see my memory isn't as bad as I thought.
Old 05-07-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't mind the departure so far, so someone steals the dragons, I think the end result will be the same. Instead of going willingly with an as-of-yet-barely-seen-and-not-even-named Drogon on her shoulder, she'll go in to rescue. At the end of the day, that tower is still going to burn, only this time with all three of her babies.

The only thing I'm kind of nervous about is the fact that her already small host has been thoroughly decimated now. Even Dorhea (and Irri?) seem to be at least left unconscious if not worse.

I don't know if it'll piss off the readers that bitched about Dany's story being boring. They seem to have no problem mixing it up and since she's so far removed from everyone else, it makes little difference.

Minor spoilers downline that I think come in book 3, but I can't remember 100%:
Spoiler:
The Amory Lorch death this soon was more weird to me than Dany's change. That with the Tickler last week means they are really changing things around there for what purpose? Why choose those people and not just use the names as in the book based on the downline events that are now either out of bounds or will require a second change to make it similar. That's just bizarre to me.
Old 05-07-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So a thought occured to me. Seeing as how Arya has used up 2 of her 3 deaths. Is it possible that she is Tywins Cup barrer because they are planning on skipping the whole Roose Bolton taking over Harenhall plot? My memory of the timelines is not perfect but it seems to me that she will be leaving Harenhall soon before much more plot can happen.
Old 05-07-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, the dragon swiping itself is a change that can end up not making a huge difference as far as storyline. Like I said before they got into Qarth, I think it makes sense that someone would try to swipe them.
Old 05-07-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe all the details I don't remember about book 2. Kind of awesome to have read it and enjoyed it and still get to watch the show and enjoy that as well. I know stuff is swapped around and added, but it doesn't rock my boat at all.

And I couldn't care less about anything they change with Dany. Her story bores me to tears as it is.
Old 05-07-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KirstenS
Horrible, stupid addition to the show. I can sort of buy the new Arya scenes they've added, but I guess they figured Dany didn't have enough to do in this book, so hey, let's invent some crap! Lame.
I think it's a terrible addition, too. It seems like a standard tv-show plotline to me. "Oh no! Someone has stolen our dragons! We have to go get them back!" Really lame.

Originally Posted by Dash
So a thought occured to me. Seeing as how Arya has used up 2 of her 3 deaths. Is it possible that she is Tywins Cup barrer because they are planning on skipping the whole Roose Bolton taking over Harenhall plot? My memory of the timelines is not perfect but it seems to me that she will be leaving Harenhall soon before much more plot can happen.
I kind of doubt it. Arya's 3rd name is much too good to skip for the TV show. I honestly think they kinda contrived to get her to use her first two names impetuously so that viewers aren't up in arms about her not choosing Tywin or Joffrey. Of course it wouldn't have been as egregious if they hadn't made her Tywin's cup bearer.
Old 05-07-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Also glad to know I wasn't crazy when I didn't recall the dragons being stolen in the book. I guess we'll see how it goes. It's been less than a year since I last read ACoK but I tend to forget details pretty quickly. Had to look up Armory Lorch to see that part was changed as well. In the book was Littlefinger ever in Harrenhall to speak with Tywin?
Old 05-07-12, 12:14 PM
Banned

Am getting an uneasy feeling about the changes being made:

(1) Stealing Dany's dragons...agree with above comments about melodrama. Reserving judgment.

(2) Arya's choices. In the book, the main villains weren't present, so she had to make do. Her first two choices displayed both her sense of indignity (and justice) and her impetuous nature. The choices were based more upon personal whim or offense than strategic choices. In the book, she wishes she hadn't acted so rashly in making her choices when Tywin shows up.
And the book scenes made the two deaths appear to be accidents, unlike the second death shown Sunday night.
Also, having The Tickler die prematurely loses his character for a great scene later in the series.

(3) Robb's love interest. In the books, it was a total shock when Robb showed up with Jeyne and revealed that his betroyal to a Frey wench was off. Here we get a mild, bemused scolding from Cat along with a reminder of his duties.

Also feel that some great scenes from the books have been rushed. The scenes in which Arya & Hot Pie are captured, for instance. [spoiler] In the books, you got a nice battle scene in which Arya is shouting "Winterfell" (while Hot Pie screams "Hot Pie!") as they fight off attackers. The 'escape' scene in which Arya throws an axe to the prisoners before scrambling through a tunnel in the burning barn was extremely exciting (providing one of GRRM's patented gripping chapter closings); in the series, it all happened too quickly and seemed anticlimactic. Also missed characters such as Weasel (whose name Arya adopted for her time as the kitchen wench in Harenhall). [spoiler]

Another rushed scene was the 'riot' scene. The book went into great detail about what was happening (and they were on horseback); the series was just a bit too chaotic. Also, the 'crowd' seemed way too small...the Hound could have handled all of them by himself. Did think the bit with him & Sansa was well-done and filled in details nicely.

Minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things, and realize that changes have to be made for a variety of reasons, but I had hoped most of the changes would be to tighten up the narrative, fill in exposition or provide scenes for the 'offscreen' major characters, or clarify confusing points or eliminate redundant characters. I'm disappointed when the changes diminish or alter some of the book's best scenes.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-07-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The theft of the dragons solves one of the bigger plot holes I had with the Quarth scenes in the book and so far this season: if they're so valuable, why doesn't someone just swoop in and steal the dragons? It's not as if Dany can defend herself. We'll have to see where they're going with it, but I think it's a wise choice.

Lots of other little changes so far this season, I think all of them have been good.
Old 05-07-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper

Another rushed scene was the 'riot' scene. The book went into great detail about what was happening (and they were on horseback); the series was just a bit too chaotic.
Yeah, lack of horses kinds of sucks. Have they addressed that at all, like if Luck had anything to do with it?
Old 05-07-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I just finished A Clash of Kings but I may wait until I have read more books before I get into the gist of this thread.

At least now I understand this artist's rendition of Tyrion better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.