Old 03-22-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Touch -- Timeslot Premiere -- "1+1=3" -- 3/22/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-03-22

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Martin Bohm (Kiefer Sutherland), a widower and single father trying to connect with his mute 11-year-old son Jake (David Mazouz), is led to a pawn shop where a robbery triggers a sequence of unpredictable events that connect a distraught flight attendant in New York, a son visiting from India on a mission to spread his father's ashes, a middle school magician in Moscow, a cancer patient in New York and a mobster in the Bronx. It's up to Jake and Martin to link the thread between them all in the World Premiere "1+1=3" episode of TOUCH airing Thursday, March 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (TOU-102) (TV-PG L, V)

Episode 2 of 13
Old 03-22-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Touch -- Timeslot Premiere -- "1+1=3" -- 3/22/12

Feinberg and Sepinwall both called this episode "not just terrible, but abominable"

I didn't like the pilot at all but this I gotta see for myself.
Old 03-22-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Who loses track of their son more ... Martin or Lori?
This was okay.
Old 03-22-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Only the second episode, but we get Mike Novick to guest. Jack Bauer needs to round up more characters for that 24 movie...
Old 03-22-12, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone else keep waiting for Danny Glover to say, "I'm too old for this shit?"
Old 03-22-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

From the promo pic, that kid actor looks like a total douche.
Old 03-22-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With The Walking Dead wound down for the season, some show has to carry the mantle for Show We Love To Beat Up On. After Heros, Tim Kring is going to be nominated for whatever show he does. We're OK with the show so far around here. There are some illogical things going on, but nothing too terrible.

How lucky is the aborted suicide bomber that the terrorists will accept his returning the bomb with a cheery, "No thanks on the whole blowing up deal, someone's going to donate a stove."

Also, it's awful convenient that the Child Protective Services rep also happens to be a figure of some sort at the evaluation facility for the kid. Those two jobs wouldn't overlap.

There were many more examples like that, but so far it falls into the real of "normal" suspension of disbelief for network TV. I'll enjoy watching it on a pure visceral level for awhile and see if the presentation gets any tighter as it develops. I wouldn't say I expect it to, and I'm not even sure I'd say I "hope" it does, but I'm cautiously optimistic -- Despite what Kring did to Heroes.
Old 03-23-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Besides Kiefer's performance, I thought this was a step down from the Pilot.

Way too many coincidences that tied everything up together.

Hated the C Story with the Russian mobster and his kid, the Peanut Vendor. Based on 1 phone conversation with his kid, he decides to change his ways?

at "New York Stadium" which was actually Dodger Stadium

It was nice seeing a Jack Bauer and Mike Novick reunion. Although it sucked seeing Martin get his ass kicked in 2 scenes.

I remember the 2 Japanese girls from the Pilot. Is there any significance to them?
Old 03-23-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Weak second episode although the final five minutes were strong. Some of the process/matte shots were horrible...wondered if anyone else noticed. Episode 2 really looked like a show whose budget got drastically cut.

The kid was more annoying in this show than the pilot...wonder how long it will take for us to hope the zombies get him (oops, wrong kid/wrong show).
Old 03-23-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who knew all it took for a Russian Mobster to change his ways was a simple, "Daddy, do you hurt people?" Guess he'll sell Avon to support his family now.

The kid doesn't annoy me, but I did remark while watching that if a character is going to hold my attenion as someone important, I need something from him. The narration is fine, but we get little of that, and it usually happens (so far) at the beginning and/or end. During the meat of the show, we have this central character who barely engages at all, and it's a bit of a turnoff.

And really, Keifer needs to stop with the, "Just give me a sign." It's early in the run and perhaps he's still having trouble understanding (though he keeps claiming he now gets it). The kid doesn't directly communicate. What he wants to communicate, he does. That's it. So stop asking him stuff like, "Hey, are these next week's lottery numbers?" He isn't going to tell you, ok? He's not playing charades, so don't expect nods yes or no. It might seem a bit of a one-sided and unfair relationship, but I'd suspect if the kid ever talked, he's say, "Not now, I'm figuring out the universe. Love you too. mwah."

But all that aside, I'm still glad to see Keifer and Danny Glover, and like Heroes, there are some good elements here. If it fails, it'll fail due to execution. The ratings dropped some, but not horribly. It's not tightly serialized, so it should be accessible for late fans. I'm in for the first 13.
Old 03-23-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Besides Kiefer's performance, I thought this was a step down from the Pilot.

Way too many coincidences that tied everything up together.

Hated the C Story with the Russian mobster and his kid, the Peanut Vendor. Based on 1 phone conversation with his kid, he decides to change his ways?

It was nice seeing a Jack Bauer and Mike Novick reunion. Although it sucked seeing Martin get his ass kicked in 2 scenes.

I remember the 2 Japanese girls from the Pilot. Is there any significance to them?
Why base the show in New York when you're going to film it in L.A., using landmarks like Dodger Stadium and the 6th St. Bridge?

The baseball thing was made worse by the fact that the stewardess said she went to the stadium as a kid. New York just tore down their ballparks and built new ones 3 years ago.

I understand L.A. being used as a stand-in for many cities. But when you have so many shows already set in N.Y. that are actually shot there, it really makes things like "New York Stadium" completely laughable.

As for the show, I wasn't sure how far they could take this concept. But you could easily see the various strands coming together at the end, as they didn't even try to hide what was coming. If this is what we get every week, the show will age very quickly.
Old 03-25-12, 09:55 PM

I completely love this show. I love this type of stuff. I think it's mainly cause i think our world is shitty and i hate everyone so even with the flaws i enjoy seeing a world where the simplest event changes things for the better as it moves from person to person.
Old 03-26-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

LOL I did not know that was Dodger Stadium

I thought this would the be the 1st thread on DVD Talk I would participate in where people actually watch the show since it is on FOX and it is is 4-5 pages long.

I hope Keifers character gets it on with Gugu Mbatha-Raw for all the misery his son puts him through

Old 03-26-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I so wanted to love this show, but I thought it was a mess.

--There were way too many coincidences that the writer forced together with random numbers.
--Keifer's son is beyond annoying.
--What kind of school is his son in that is clearly heavily funded and full of kid stuff but no kids whatsoever?
--Hey! Look! Danny Glover! He clarifies nothing, but certainly has something to say...
--The dog magically ties the whole plot together? Really?

I would normally love a show like this, especially with these stars, but if every week is just a series of happenstance the writer brings together in the end by magic, bleh.

That said, this could have made a really fun movie if they had polished just one episode really tight.

[Shark Tank]I'm out.[/Shark Tank]