TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- Season 2 Finale -- "Beside the Dying Fire" -- 3/18/12

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Season 2 Finale -- "Beside the Dying Fire" -- 3/18/12

Originally Posted by fumanstan
So per Talking Dead, this is the casting for next season.

Spoiler:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1775091/ as Michonne
Spoiler:
no Rutina Wesley! wooooooooooo
Old 03-18-12, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish they included the talking dead in the bluray special features
Old 03-18-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
That's why he wanted to split with Lori and blond chick. Increased chance for dialogue.
I thought they were trying to setup a spin-off show ... "T-Dogging the Dead." T-Dog leaves the group and heads east. He finds a new neighborhood to inhabit, complete with wacky neighbors!
Old 03-18-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
I thought she flipped out at Carl being the one to put Shane down?
Nope. Watching it again right now on the west coast feed. She was flipping out before Rick even mentioned Carl.
Old 03-18-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoiler:
Lori is the WORST character on the show. She is an idiot on every level. I hate her with a passion.

The dude in the RV....What..The..HELL was he doing!!!!

They don't open the doors, why the hell was the door open!? Why didn't he drive away after they got on top? He deserved to get it but that was just so freakin' stupid. My wife and I had to pause it to balk at that whole scene. Just stupid.

WHY...THE...HELL did they leave Andrea? They had a freakin' truck! They could have just driven over by her to get her. Instead they leave her before she's even been bitten!

IDIOTS EVERYWHERE!

Why stop on the road at all during daylight? Drive as long as you can and if a car runs out of gas leave it and have the others get in the other cars!

WHY THE HELL were they even low on gas anyway!??? They were just by all those bloody cars on the highway!!! ARGGHHH!!! IDIOTS!!

Why did they have Rick explain the death of Shane that way? Shane tried to kill him! He didn't have to explain it like he murdered him in cold blood! Just a stupid way to tell them and completely unrealistic. I hate Rick but he was right for what he did and if he explained that Shane tried to kill him and he had to stab him, all good, but instead he says stuff about him having to go and how he was bothering him all the time! ARGHHHH!!!!!

This really is a terribly done show but I can't leave it alone. If they kill off Daryl and Glenn I probably will not watch it much anymore unless new characters stick around because I hate everyone else.
Old 03-18-12, 11:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Why all they let the brother do is drive the white women around?

"T-Dawg, you turn this car around!"
"Sure thing, Miss Daisy!"
Old 03-18-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll take it ... after the LONG dragging haul to get to this point, the finale was back on track!

My thoughts ...

"Rick and Carl may be trying to escape around back. Quick, drive the clunkiest, slowest vehicle we have back there and then STOP! Oh, and make sure you leave your window down!" Honestly, why the hell did they drive the RV out there in the first place?

I could be wrong on this one ... but wasn't there a hatch in the top of the RV (I thought we saw this in another episode)? Why did Rick and Carl climb down the back?

On the Talking Dead the farm was listed on the "those we lost" segment -- why wasn't the RV listed?

What the hell is Lori's problem? Isn't that what Lady MacBeth wanted? And what is up with Carol trying to pull the same stunt?

I thought Dale's death would make Rick turn more to Dale's rationale. As it turns out, Shane's death turned Rick into Shane ... his mannerisms, his speech patterns ... did anybody else think this?

"Sssshhh! We need to be quiet on the highway ... unless it is Daryl and his rip-roaring bike! VROOOM! VROOOM!"

I can't wait until the fall!!!!
Old 03-19-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Spoiler:
WHY...THE...HELL did they leave Andrea? They had a freakin' truck! They could have just driven over by her to get her. Instead they leave her before she's even been bitten!
I believe they thought Andrea was being attacked by the zombie that fell on her and was a goner. I don't think they realized it was already dead.

Last edited by Pizza; 03-19-12 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
I loled when i heard this "where is carl?"
Yeah I did too.. even when I know it was wrong I had an evil smirk the whole time she was freaking out.. Like that's what it finally takes for her to "mom up" and want to keep track of her kid, a full on attack on the farm house.. All the other horrible events going on? Nothing.. Oh but wait, an attack?!? Oh ok, NOW where is my son!!!?!

as for the ep over all, really like how chaotic and disorganized the farm escape turned out to be.. People heading off in all directions and pure panic. I tend to think that's how it would happen vs a nice orderly calm evacuation.

I'm also not really that surprised that they did not off more main characters being as I mentioned in another thread, IMO it's better to save killing people off (if you're even going to) for early into the next season then in the final of this one..
Old 03-19-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I must echo how much I hate Lori. The most annoying TV character in recent memory. Hate Carl too.
Poor little shitheel had to kill a zombie. Welcome to the new world, bitch.

Was there even one shot that wasn't a headshot tonight? Expert marksmen!

I'm sure that every viewer that knows nothing about the comic went WTF when the hooded swordsman and two armless lamebrains appeared.

Why was the group so pissed at Rick for not telling them about the infection? What difference does it make?

I was hoping Darryl would seal the deal with Jamie Lee Curtis before the season end.

So the woman that got eaten was Herschel's daughter and Otis' wife, right? And Jimmy in the RV was Herschel's son?
Old 03-19-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Spoiler:
Lori is the WORST character on the show. She is an idiot on every level. I hate her with a passion.

The dude in the RV....What..The..HELL was he doing!!!!

They don't open the doors, why the hell was the door open!? Why didn't he drive away after they got on top? He deserved to get it but that was just so freakin' stupid. My wife and I had to pause it to balk at that whole scene. Just stupid.

IDIOTS EVERYWHERE!

Why stop on the road at all during daylight? Drive as long as you can and if a car runs out of gas leave it and have the others get in the other cars!

WHY THE HELL were they even low on gas anyway!??? They were just by all those bloody cars on the highway!!! ARGGHHH!!! IDIOTS!!

Why did they have Rick explain the death of Shane that way? Shane tried to kill him! He didn't have to explain it like he murdered him in cold blood! Just a stupid way to tell them and completely unrealistic. I hate Rick but he was right for what he did and if he explained that Shane tried to kill him and he had to stab him, all good, but instead he says stuff about him having to go and how he was bothering him all the time! ARGHHHH!!!!!

This really is a terribly done show but I can't leave it alone. If they kill off Daryl and Glenn I probably will not watch it much anymore unless new characters stick around because I hate everyone else.
I didn't see anything in there that needed to be spoilerized.

And, I agree with all your points. Especially (as I already mentioned) the RV.
Old 03-19-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I believe they thought Andrea was being attacked by the zombie that fell on her and was a goner. I don't think they realized it was already dead.
Yup, they deliberately had a shot of a zombie laying on top of her so they thought it got her. When Andrea comes up later, they assume she was dead too.

I think the only argument I agree with was the RV stuff with Jimmy, as far as negatives go in this episode. A lot of the other complaints don't really bother me, outside of the standard Lori and Carl are dumb ones.
Old 03-19-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
So the woman that got eaten was Herschel's daughter and Otis' wife, right? And Jimmy in the RV was Herschel's son?
I think she was Otis' wife, but they were both neighbors to Herschel. Jimmy was his step-son I think.

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
Ever since Rick killed the people in town who wanted to join them, I’ve wondered how they were going to integrate Michonne into the group…then this week, when Andrea got left behind, I thought “what purpose does this serve?” Then when she was running out of ammo, I realized this was how they were going to do it. I actually got chills…that was an awesome introduction.

In a way, it would have been nice to not know it was coming and then be like “WTF?!?!? A hooded swordsman?!?!?!” But I wouldn’t trade the experience of reading the comic for it…
I'm not the type of person who talks to himself or at the TV during a show, but I surprised myself my shouting "Hell yes!" and pumping my fist in the air at the first sight of her tonight.
Old 03-19-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great zombie shootin' fun, but I agree with all of foofighters7's points (also agree that they aren't spoilers). Lazy writing and a lot of plot conveniences that weren't very realistic at all. These people should be expert survivalists by this point, not running around like headless chickens.

I did like the appearance of the swordsman. That was cool and I'm very interested in that back story. (And PLEASE stop referring to character names and genders that aren't canon to the TV show AT THIS POINT. So this is apparently a female named Michonne. How did you figure that out from the show? Stop bringing spoilers from the comics into the TV threads. How many times do we have to discuss this?)
Old 03-19-12, 12:36 AM

just didn't want to piss anyone off.
Old 03-19-12, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A couple more thoughts:

"Christ promised a resurrection of the dead ... I just thought he had something a little different in mind." -- Hershel. Possibly one of the best lines of the show!

Also, why is everybody so upset that they are carriers of the infection/virus/whatever? It doesn't seem as if it causes death. (I don't think Shane's insanity was due to the infection.)
Old 03-19-12, 12:42 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

well it's a little upsetting to know when you die you will come back to life as a zombie
Old 03-19-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Great zombie shootin' fun, but I agree with all of foofighters7's points (also agree that they aren't spoilers). Lazy writing and a lot of plot conveniences that weren't very realistic at all. These people should be expert survivalists by this point, not running around like headless chickens.

I did like the appearance of the swordsman. That was cool and I'm very interested in that back story. (And PLEASE stop referring to character names and genders that aren't canon to the TV show AT THIS POINT. So this is apparently a female named Michonne. How did you figure that out from the show? Stop bringing spoilers from the comics into the TV threads. How many times do we have to discuss this?)
Old 03-19-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

great finale! I do miss the urban scenes from this series, but this finale was damn good.

The night scenes were kind of dark for me, but I just paused my DVR and turned up the brightness on my TV settings, and it was fine. Turned down the brightness when the daylight scenes appeared. No big deal. First time I've had to that this season for Walking Dead. I have to do that for other broadcasts sometimes, but it's a rare occurrence.

Seeing Fox River State Penitentiary at the end was great (or from what I could tell, it was a prison)
Old 03-19-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I did not read anything about it I figured that once Andrea was in the woods and at that moment she would show up.

This show is so full of death which is not something I am found of however just like the comic I cannot stop reading and watching because it is entertaining. Maybe in some way I like having NO idea what could happen. And there are some characters that I really do not care if they become walker food. (And normally I try and like everyone)
Old 03-19-12, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Why was the group so pissed at Rick for not telling them about the infection? What difference does it make?
Knowing they're infected, some people might be inclined towards suicide or suicidal battle tactics, harming the rest of the group. Women might be inclined not to have children, harming the future of the human race. Rick's decision not to disclose was the right one.
Old 03-19-12, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Knowing they're infected, some people might be inclined towards suicide or suicidal battle tactics, harming the rest of the group. Women might be inclined not to have children, harming the future of the human race. Rick's decision not to disclose was the right one.
which brings up the fact that it's more important that lori's infected than whose baby it is. DA DA DUNH. i don't think it makes any difference if you're infected or not as long as it doesn't kill you. when you die just make sure someone shoots you in the head immediately like they did dale.
Old 03-19-12, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I thought the finale was pretty good for the most part.

the Walkers storming Herschel's barn was a really intense and well directed scene. Good job by Ernest Dickerson. There was so much movement in that scene.

And no, I had no trouble with the lighting of the evening scenes, they looked just fine to me on my 37 inch 1080p GDTV.

After 2 straight weeks of big deaths among the group we care about, I was fine with Otis' wife and Jimmy being the only 2 casualties. However, Jimmy was so stupid to open that door and basically say..."Come and eat me" He should have kept driving the RV.

The reveal about what the CDC doctor said from season 1 was good, but I hated Rick's speech to the group about what happened to Shane. It was such a poorly written piece of dialogue. Rather than Rick defending his actions about Shane's attempt to kill him and steal his family, it made it sound like Rick was trying to justify cold blooded murder just because Shane was a little crazy and infected.

and WTF was up with Lori getting all pissed off after Rick's confession and Carl freaking out and crying after Rick's speech.

Despite that, I think Rick did the right thing keeping that piece of information to himself. It would have done everyone no good.

The reveal of the new character was cool. Personally for me, I don't have any problems finding out her name even though there is no reference of it here. I saw from the Deadline.com article that she's a character from the comic and is a series regular next season. It doesn't spoil anything story-wise for next season since I doubt Glen Mazzara and his writers have mapped out next seasons 16 episodes yet.

So question, what was that building that the camera panned to at the end?

Only 7 more months until season 3.

I am looking forward to eventually picking up the BD and listening to some of the commentaries and watching some of the behind the scenes material about this season.
Old 03-19-12, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
A couple more thoughts:

"Christ promised a resurrection of the dead ... I just thought he had something a little different in mind." -- Hershel. Possibly one of the best lines of the show!
Agree. That was a really great line.

I'm glad that Scott Wilson will be around next season. He's a great addition to the show.
Old 03-19-12, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The reveal about what the CDC doctor said from season 1 was good, but I hated Rick's speech to the group about what happened to Shane. It was such a poorly written piece of dialogue.
I can't remember any episodes of this season that don't have poorly written pieces of dialogue. The first season had the promise of a Ferrari, but they lifted the hood this season and we see that it's just a Fiero under there. They hit the gas when they want to go, but they don't have the budget/writing to floor it. It's a shame they lost Darabont.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.