Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Old 02-04-12, 09:49 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Boy, it's sure nice living in the 1970s. Too bad I missed so much of it growing up. One of the things I missed the first-time around was the TV cop show Colombo, with that squinty-eyed detective Lt. Colombo, played by Peter Falk.

This show rivals Law & Order: Criminal Intent with the Sherlock Holmes aspect of one detective who gets a whiff of a bad guy, and just lays in to him until he solves the case. And boy oh boy, does he ever! At the end of each episode, I jump up cheering Colombo's cleverness!!

For all you people in the audience, if you tune in to your local Netflix Streaming, treat yourself to some Colombo!


Last edited by Buttmunker; 02-04-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 10:25 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,915
Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
Boy, it's sure nice living in the 1970s. Too bad I missed so much of it growing up. One of the things I missed the first-time around was the TV cop show Colombo, with that squinty-eyed detective Lt. Colombo, played by Peter Falk.

This show rivals Law & Order: Criminal Intent with the Sherlock Holmes aspect of one detective who gets a whiff of a bad guy, and just lays in to him until he solves the case. And boy oh boy, does he ever! At the end of each episode, I jump up cheering Colombo's cleverness!!

For all you people in the audience, if you tune in to your local Netflix Streaming, treat yourself to some Colombo!


Is this guy Columbo's long lost twin brother?
Old 02-04-12, 06:28 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,827
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

I think is the THE BEST police show ever, with one of TVs most iconic characters ever. Think about it: there is no mystery whatsoever and yet it is a complete joy to watch Columbo catch the killer every time.
Old 02-04-12, 06:35 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,936
Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

I'm a big fan of Columbo. Love Peter Falk. I have all the seasons on dvd. I have played it over and over again. What I love so much about the show is in his earlier episodes you get to see the world how it was back in the 70's. It's like time traveling, everything looks so simple, and none of this messy modern bullshit we have today.

I hope and pray that they release Columbo on Blu-ray and give it a fantastic treatment!
Old 02-04-12, 07:25 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: online!
Posts: 983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
This show rivals Law & Order: Criminal Intent with the Sherlock Holmes aspect of one detective who gets a whiff of a bad guy, and just lays in to him until he solves the case. And boy oh boy, does he ever! At the end of each episode, I jump up cheering Colombo's cleverness!!
Vincent D'onofrio said he took inspiration from Peter Falk and Columbo.

I had seen Columbo in repeats during the glory days of A&E so I saw that in his performance but it was good when I read that he gave credit for that.

As an aside I read that D'onofrio is trying to make a new cop show. I'm actually hoping that doesn't happen...or if it does he and Erbe will find time to do L&O:CI movies of the week like Columbo did the chance comes up.

Bring Eric Bogosian's character back from the dead and it'd be a wet dream for me.
Old 02-04-12, 08:26 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 673
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
For all you people in the audience, if you tune in to your local Netflix Streaming, treat yourself to some Colombo!
Columbo is also on Sunday nights on MeTV.
Old 02-04-12, 08:59 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Land of the Lobstrosities
Posts: 10,300
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

One thing that I noticed when watching Columbo as a kid was that almost every case involved someone very rich and/or very famous.
Old 02-05-12, 09:37 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I'm a big fan of Columbo. Love Peter Falk. I have all the seasons on dvd. I have played it over and over again. What I love so much about the show is in his earlier episodes you get to see the world how it was back in the 70's. It's like time traveling, everything looks so simple, and none of this messy modern bullshit we have today.

I hope and pray that they release Columbo on Blu-ray and give it a fantastic treatment!
I was checking out Colombo DVD's on Amazon, and a lot of buyers were complaining about defective discs (they're apparently double-sided, although I've bought double-sided DVD's without incident).

Can you verify if those claims are valid? I'm on the verge of buying, but thought I'd wait for a "better treatment."
Old 02-05-12, 09:52 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,161
Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
What I love so much about the show is in his earlier episodes you get to see the world how it was back in the 70's. It's like time traveling, everything looks so simple, and none of this messy modern bullshit we have today.
Old 02-05-12, 10:11 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,899
Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by wz42 View Post
if it does he and Erbe will find time to do L&O:CI movies of the week like Columbo did the chance comes up.

Bring Eric Bogosian's character back from the dead and it'd be a wet dream for me.
I'd love to see that happen too. They can even do maybe 3-4, 90 minute TV movies a year or something.

As for Colombo, I own a few of the DVD releases and it's always fun to watch an episode or two just on a random night.
Old 02-05-12, 10:51 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,915
Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

The name has a "u" in the middle not an "o".
Old 02-05-12, 12:33 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Coastal SC
Posts: 152
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Columbo along with MST3K are features on our random, every once in a while, netflix streaming queue.
Always enjoyable.
Old 02-06-12, 05:42 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,936
Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
I was checking out Colombo DVD's on Amazon, and a lot of buyers were complaining about defective discs (they're apparently double-sided, although I've bought double-sided DVD's without incident).

Can you verify if those claims are valid? I'm on the verge of buying, but thought I'd wait for a "better treatment."
All my Columbo discs does not have player issues but I believe the reviewers on amazon talking about them being defective. I looked closely at my season 3 right now (went to amazon to read some issue claims) and I can see dry glue spill on the center of my discs. They work though. But double sided discs are the devil. I can tell you that some of my double sided discs have gone bad. (Jacob's Ladder, Desert Heat, etc)

I don't know what to tell you if you should purchase or wait. I'm hoping for a grand blu ray treatment. I hate double sided discs.
Old 02-06-12, 09:32 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: online!
Posts: 983
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
I'd love to see that happen too. They can even do maybe 3-4, 90 minute TV movies a year or something.
Exactly my thoughts. There's been a real lack of "movie of the week" type things for years and this would fit the bill nicely.
Old 02-07-12, 05:47 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Posts: 5,667
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
One thing that I noticed when watching Columbo as a kid was that almost every case involved someone very rich and/or very famous.
And smart. Even the impulsive crimes of passions were thought out.....

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.