Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Boy, it's sure nice living in the 1970s. Too bad I missed so much of it growing up. One of the things I missed the first-time around was the TV cop show Colombo, with that squinty-eyed detective Lt. Colombo, played by Peter Falk.

This show rivals Law & Order: Criminal Intent with the Sherlock Holmes aspect of one detective who gets a whiff of a bad guy, and just lays in to him until he solves the case. And boy oh boy, does he ever! At the end of each episode, I jump up cheering Colombo's cleverness!!

For all you people in the audience, if you tune in to your local Netflix Streaming, treat yourself to some Colombo!

Last edited by Buttmunker; 02-04-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: COLOMBO (Peter Falk) - boy, what a great show! "Just one more thing.."

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Boy, it's sure nice living in the 1970s. Too bad I missed so much of it growing up. One of the things I missed the first-time around was the TV cop show Colombo, with that squinty-eyed detective Lt. Colombo, played by Peter Falk.

This show rivals Law & Order: Criminal Intent with the Sherlock Holmes aspect of one detective who gets a whiff of a bad guy, and just lays in to him until he solves the case. And boy oh boy, does he ever! At the end of each episode, I jump up cheering Colombo's cleverness!!

For all you people in the audience, if you tune in to your local Netflix Streaming, treat yourself to some Colombo!

Is this guy Columbo's long lost twin brother?
Old 02-04-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I think is the THE BEST police show ever, with one of TVs most iconic characters ever. Think about it: there is no mystery whatsoever and yet it is a complete joy to watch Columbo catch the killer every time.
Old 02-04-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm a big fan of Columbo. Love Peter Falk. I have all the seasons on dvd. I have played it over and over again. What I love so much about the show is in his earlier episodes you get to see the world how it was back in the 70's. It's like time traveling, everything looks so simple, and none of this messy modern bullshit we have today.

I hope and pray that they release Columbo on Blu-ray and give it a fantastic treatment!
Old 02-04-12, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vincent D'onofrio said he took inspiration from Peter Falk and Columbo.

I had seen Columbo in repeats during the glory days of A&E so I saw that in his performance but it was good when I read that he gave credit for that.

As an aside I read that D'onofrio is trying to make a new cop show. I'm actually hoping that doesn't happen...or if it does he and Erbe will find time to do L&O:CI movies of the week like Columbo did the chance comes up.

Bring Eric Bogosian's character back from the dead and it'd be a wet dream for me.
Old 02-04-12, 08:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Columbo is also on Sunday nights on MeTV.
Old 02-04-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that I noticed when watching Columbo as a kid was that almost every case involved someone very rich and/or very famous.
Old 02-05-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I'm a big fan of Columbo. Love Peter Falk. I have all the seasons on dvd. I have played it over and over again. What I love so much about the show is in his earlier episodes you get to see the world how it was back in the 70's. It's like time traveling, everything looks so simple, and none of this messy modern bullshit we have today.

I hope and pray that they release Columbo on Blu-ray and give it a fantastic treatment!
I was checking out Colombo DVD's on Amazon, and a lot of buyers were complaining about defective discs (they're apparently double-sided, although I've bought double-sided DVD's without incident).

Can you verify if those claims are valid? I'm on the verge of buying, but thought I'd wait for a "better treatment."
Old 02-05-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
What I love so much about the show is in his earlier episodes you get to see the world how it was back in the 70's. It's like time traveling, everything looks so simple, and none of this messy modern bullshit we have today.
Old 02-05-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
if it does he and Erbe will find time to do L&O:CI movies of the week like Columbo did the chance comes up.

Bring Eric Bogosian's character back from the dead and it'd be a wet dream for me.
I'd love to see that happen too. They can even do maybe 3-4, 90 minute TV movies a year or something.

As for Colombo, I own a few of the DVD releases and it's always fun to watch an episode or two just on a random night.
Old 02-05-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

The name has a "u" in the middle not an "o".
Old 02-05-12, 12:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Columbo along with MST3K are features on our random, every once in a while, netflix streaming queue.
Always enjoyable.
Old 02-06-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I was checking out Colombo DVD's on Amazon, and a lot of buyers were complaining about defective discs (they're apparently double-sided, although I've bought double-sided DVD's without incident).

Can you verify if those claims are valid? I'm on the verge of buying, but thought I'd wait for a "better treatment."
All my Columbo discs does not have player issues but I believe the reviewers on amazon talking about them being defective. I looked closely at my season 3 right now (went to amazon to read some issue claims) and I can see dry glue spill on the center of my discs. They work though. But double sided discs are the devil. I can tell you that some of my double sided discs have gone bad. (Jacob's Ladder, Desert Heat, etc)

I don't know what to tell you if you should purchase or wait. I'm hoping for a grand blu ray treatment. I hate double sided discs.
Old 02-06-12, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'd love to see that happen too. They can even do maybe 3-4, 90 minute TV movies a year or something.
Exactly my thoughts. There's been a real lack of "movie of the week" type things for years and this would fit the bill nicely.
Old 02-07-12, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town

Originally Posted by wmansir
One thing that I noticed when watching Columbo as a kid was that almost every case involved someone very rich and/or very famous.
And smart. Even the impulsive crimes of passions were thought out.....