Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smash (NBC) -- Series Thread -- premieres 2/6/12

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Smash -- "The Callback" -- 2/13/12

A Broadway show has what 10 songs? We have already heard one song twice, how are they going to show the progress of the show without repeating songs?
Old 02-14-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
A Broadway show has what 10 songs? We have already heard one song twice, how are they going to show the progress of the show without repeating songs?
Most have approximately 15-20 songs that actually make it into the show, while there are typically at least 3-6 that end up on the cutting room floor. So for a 15 episode season they could potentially stretch it out.
Old 02-20-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I was out of town and busy most of last week so I'm a little late to the party.

I liked this episode better than the Pilot. There were some really good dance and singing numbers.

I'm loving Kat McPhee and Megan Hilty. I knew in the Pilot that Derek was kind of a sleazy character. Not surprised that Ivy slept with him, which probably helped her in the casting process.

The show isn't perfect. Julia's adoption subplot sucks the life out of the episode. Same goes with Eileen's nasty divorce.

What was the name of the song that Ivy sang in the restaurant? That was a really nice performance.

I'll post tonight's thread later today.
Old 02-20-12, 04:27 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Smash -- "Enter Mr. DiMaggio" -- 2/20/12

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
“Enter Mr. DiMaggio” – The search begins for a Joe DiMaggio to play opposite Marilyn—but everyone’s first choice, Michael (guest star Will Chase), has a secret. Karen (Katharine McPhee) returns to Iowa for a baby shower and must decide what she wants for her future. Eileen (Anjelica Huston) begins rounding up investors—but ex-husband Jerry (guest star Michael Cristofer) may already have poisoned the well. Debra Messing, Jack Davenport, Christian Borle, Megan Hilty, Raza Jaffrey and Jaime Cepero also star. Will Chase and Michael Cristofer guest stars.

Episode 3 of 15

Promo:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1384970" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 02-20-12, 04:28 PM

Re: Smash -- "Enter Mr. DiMaggio" -- 2/20/12

Not sure where DJariya is so I started the thread...
Old 02-20-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Not sure where DJariya is so I started the thread...

Hey, I'm here. Well, if you notice, I just commented in last week's thread. That's cool that you started this. Didn't know you were watching.
Old 02-20-12, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Hey, I'm here. Well, if you notice, I just commented in last week's thread. That's cool that you started this. Didn't know you were watching.
Whoops, sorry DJariya.

I saw the pilot but haven't seen the second ep yet. My wife loves the show.
Old 02-20-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Depends on the show. "Next to Normal," for example, has close to 40 including reprises.
Old 02-20-12, 10:04 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Biggest twist of the TV season...the intern isnt gay. Shocker.
Old 02-21-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts

I have watched this but not sure if I am going to continue. There are parts I like, but it's starting to turn into a soap opera. And some of the acting seems really stiff and bad.
Old 02-21-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Why was it a big deal that Debra Messing's character had an affair with, well whoever that guy is going to be/play?
Old 02-21-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Biggest twist of the TV season...the intern isnt gay. Shocker.
My co-worker and I joked about this, too.

Speaking of his character, do you think the writers are wanting us to identify with him or empathize with his situation? Sometimes I feel like that's what they're going for, but I don't feel it. I find his character pretty terrible, and when he took that notebook, that sort of took away the last shred of likability he had.
Old 02-21-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ratings for this have fallen off big time...
Old 02-21-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't they have the same, I can fire you, no you can't cause I don't work for you, and you tried before, conversation in the last episode?
Old 02-21-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

^ I'm sure they will have it every episode ... until he's fired.
Old 02-21-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not doing very well

“Smash” is a crash.
NBC Entertainment Chairman Bob Greenblatt’s hyper-hyped Broadway drama is headed in a downward spiral after just three episodes.
On Monday night, CBS’s “Hawaii Five-0” beat “Smash” in the 10 p.m. hour. The Peacock Network’s expensive drama drew a 2.3 rating in the key 18-49 age demographic, for a total audience of 6.7 million viewers, down 18 percent from week two, when “Smash” drew a 2.8 rating and 8 million viewers.
The CBS show pulled in a 2.8 rating and 10.2 million viewers.
Even the week 2 totals for “Smash” were down 26 percent from its debut 3.8 rating and 11.4 million viewers.

Greenblatt gave the show a huge Super Bowl promotion, a prize position behind “The Voice” and the benefit of a $20 million marketing spend.
The Broadway-themed drama starring Katharine McPhee and Debra Messing, and executive produced by Steven Spielberg, is also losing audiences throughout each hour, a sign that worse news could be on the way.
“Smash” is costing NBC $4 million per episode, and while it’s doing better than other shows that occupied that slot — namely, “Playboy Club” — the drop-off from its lead-in is startling.
“The Voice,” developed by Greenblatt’s predecessors, is notching huge numbers, netting a 6.3 rating and 16.8 million ratings in the 9 p.m. hour on Monday, helping NBC to a Monday night win among all networks.
Gary Carr of TargetCast told The Post, “I know everyone liked it when they saw it in the Upfront. The show had strong demand. There must be some disappointment, particularly as the show follows ‘The Voice,’ which is doing well.”
Affiliates must also be frustrated that the huge “Voice” numbers are disappearing in the hour before local news.
“They were drinking champagne when the ratings first came in,” said one TV source. “Now they’ve got to be crying in their tea.”
While “Smash” is not in cancellation territory, its No. 2 finish in the hour on Monday moves the drama to “on the bubble” status, according to TVByTheNumbers.com.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1n5IOAGkT
Old 02-21-12, 11:25 PM

If they cancel it, maybe we'll get AfterS*M*A*S*H.
Old 02-22-12, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

headed in a downward spiral after just three episodes.]
They needed to bring way more campy broadway stuff in the first few eps.. Instead in ep two they had a legal sit down talking about assists in escrow and just a really boring sub plot about adopting a baby from china..

You don't hook in viewers to a show with stuff like that! You just have the people show up with the baby like Modern Family did.. Ta Daa, look it's are new baby from China..
But nooooo NBC thinks we want to watch the interview with the social worker, the writing of letters to the mother of the unborn baby and of course the support group meeting for those people who were writing the letters.

I would like to think you can do stuff like that on a show later but the first few eps should just be about setting the hook and IMO they failed.. that being said, the 3rd ep here was pretty good and the show is working the musical numbers in pretty well. I'm not sure they can keep finding reasons for people to break into song but so far Smash has stayed away from a Glee like "Here let me sing you this song" for every problem that pops up.
Old 02-22-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts

It's in a downward spiral because it's just not very good.
Old 02-22-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to think you can do stuff like that on a show later but the first few eps should just be about setting the hook and IMO they failed..
Gotta agree with that.
Old 02-27-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Smash -- "The Cost of Art" -- 2/27/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-05

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Karen (Katharine McPhee) must learn to advance in the high-stakes world of Broadway, as Derek (Jack Davenport) hosts a party for hot young star Lyle (guest star Nick Jonas). Eileen (Anjelica Huston) tries a sly new strategy for raising funds, while Tom (Christian Borle) goes on a first date. Debra Messing, Megan Hilty, Raza Jaffrey and Jaime Cepero also star.

Episode 4 of 15

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-rojuNt0978" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-28-12, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Smash -- "The Cost of Art" -- 2/27/12

I loved tonight's episode.

Great music and chereography. They stayed focused mostly on the rehearsals, which I thought was great.

Ivy was just awful to Karen in this episode, but that's understandable as she views her as a threat.

I think what really stood out to me was Ivy's insecurities as a performer even though she's a seasoned Broadway veteran and with Derek. Although I think Derek is a sleaze bag.

Megan Hilty was fantastic in her numbers. She was really great in that number at Nick Jonas' party.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that Eileen, being the producer of Marilyn, is struggling to get financing for the production. I know she's involved in a nasty divorce and nobody respects her as a producer, but they are already in rehearsals and the workshop and don't have $$$$ to pay these people.

the "Rumor has it" number with Karen and the other dancers was a great way to close out the episode.
Old 02-28-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

I really liked this performance from last night's episode by Megan Hilty.

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1387602" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 02-28-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah this ep ramped up some of the catty drama and over looked all the boring sub plots they launched in the 2nd ep..

I liked the sneaky assistant running into the show runner and inducing his girlfriend by going "ahhh errr this is my friend..." as the girlfriend looks at him all pissed for doing that.

show is still doing a pretty good job of working in musical numbers with out resorting to people breaking out in random song for no reason.. That being said I think I read in some past thread for this show that it's costing 4million an ep to make?

How is that even possible when the bulk of the ep seems to shot in the same dance studio and the wardrobe consist of yoga pants and sweats!? Clearly I underestimate or lack a grasp of the production costs on network level show.. Being I would think it would 500-800k max..
Old 02-29-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Anyone else think Anjelica Huston looks like a transvestite? Not just in this show, but always.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.