TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Simpsons -- "The D'oh-cial Network" -- 01/15/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: The Simpsons -- "The D'oh-cial Network" -- 01/15/12

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well the South Park characters are kids so I don't really hold that against the show. It seems in line with how younger people would talk amongst each other to me.
Didn't stop Charles Schultz. Just sayin'.
Old 01-18-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Really? It may not be one of the best episodes, but it has one of the best lines ever written:

I think the OP meant that the episode was really good and newer episodes pale in comparison.
Old 01-18-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I can agree with you on the Seth MacFarlane created shows. His stuff isn't clever at all really for the most part. He mostly seems to string together random jokes and pop culture references and a paper thin storyline to keep his shows in tact. South Park on the other hand I'd have to disagree with you. I'd say it's easily one of the better written comedies on, animated or otherwise. I understand if maybe you don't care for it but pulling one joke and using it as the basis for saying the show isn't funny, intelligent or witty is pretty unfair. South Park has it's share of silly moments where they make a stupid exagerrated joke, but Trey and Matt also can write clever satire when they want.

As far as The Simpsons goes, as I said I realize it's not the classic it once was and is no longer in it's prime, but they still have their moments. Using compilations as a defense as to why the show is't good isn't really that fair though either if you ask me. They probably know that if they used more new clips the fanboys would bitch about it anyways but it's still not the best defense as to why the show isnt good.
What really rubs me the wrong way about Family Guy, South Park, and American Dad is how one-dimensional they are. They can only do comedy. Can you imagine them doing an episode like "Lisa on Ice" on any other cartoon, and have it actually taken seriously?
Old 01-18-12, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
The Beer Baron episode was on as a re-run last week. That's all it takes for me to remember why I stopped watching the current episodes.
Ironically that was from the eighth season, which was three seasons after everyone at the time were saying the Simpson's were way past their prime.
Old 01-18-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Slider
Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment is one of, if not the, best episode(s) of the Simpsons.
Actually, it is THE best episode of the Simpsons.
Old 01-19-12, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy
What really rubs me the wrong way about Family Guy, South Park, and American Dad is how one-dimensional they are. They can only do comedy. Can you imagine them doing an episode like "Lisa on Ice" on any other cartoon, and have it actually taken seriously?
Why most every adult cartoon comedy aim for poignancy along with laughs? It's become so fashionable to rip on Seth MacFarlane and his shows (since the 2-part South Park episode years back). But, really he doesn't make his 3 shows out to be more than what they are--a launching pad for cheap laughs shot at full pelt (which I think he achieves admirably) and sometimes some very sharp satire here and there (also admirably).

But I'll see your "Lisa on Ice" and raise you a "Brian Wallows and Peter's Swallows". There is some genuine warmth in the episode. It's an exception for the series, to be sure-- but it *can* be done by the Fuzzy Door people.
Old 01-19-12, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just saying it's a much more well-rounded show. There are some great Simpsons episodes with very few jokes but a lot of great character moments.

I would also have more respect for Family Guy and American Dad if they didn't rip off their characters and jokes from The Simpsons and Futurama.

Last edited by Superboy; 01-19-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 09:08 AM

I've been with the show since the beginning and have not missed an episode. Nothing comes close to the show in its prime. I must say that the last couple seasons have been better, though. I also like that they have gone back to their "roots" a bit with all the background jokes this season (signs, captions, etc. that you need to pause to read them all).

I laughed at Ralph's response to one of Lisa's questions: "My daddy's gun tastes like pennies."

One thing I don't like lately is the way they break the episode up. Towards the end they always seem to have a 4 minute or so section between commercial breaks which irritates and just feels unnatural.
Old 01-19-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
I don't think South Park has ever really made the claim of being more than a comedy though. The Simpsons has always been a comedy but at the same time sort of a family orientated sitcom too so they do more heart-felt moments like displayed in that episode.

For what South Park is though it's still an intelligently written show they just aren't going for heart-felt moments as often and are more focused on being a comedy. I will say though that South Park isn't completely devoid of emotion. Take just this past season for instance, the episode "You're Getting Old" where Stan realizes that his views on his friends and life are changing.
Old 01-19-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know they're not claiming to be anything more than a comedy show. But that's why those shows are mediocre.
Old 01-19-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't exactly think that your reasoning makes a whole lot of sense because what I'm getting at is the shows are pretty different in the style they approach comedy. Whatever though I'm not going to argue because clearly you're dead set in your opinion.
Old 01-20-12, 03:03 AM

Please don't misunderstand me. "The Simpsons" is a bonafide classic--forever. But, it hasn't had me doubled-over with gut-busting laughter since the mid-90s. "Family Guy" and "American Dad!" has ("The Cleveland Show" not so much).

Maybe its because me and/or the world has become far more jaded and the more perverse the humor the better--I'm not sure.

But, ultimately, I find pitting "The Simpsons" vs "Family Guy" is like pitting "Daria" vs "Beavis and Butt-head"--it's apples and frickin' oranges, folks!
Old 01-20-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched this episode last night because I saw there were a lot of replies here.

Yeah, not that good. But agree with Claytonian, the show has been more good than bad the last couple of seasons.
And for me, every season has at least one episode that's worth to watch.
Old 01-20-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
Please don't misunderstand me. "The Simpsons" is a bonafide classic--forever. But, it hasn't had me doubled-over with gut-busting laughter since the mid-90s. "Family Guy" and "American Dad!" has ("The Cleveland Show" not so much).

Maybe its because me and/or the world has become far more jaded and the more perverse the humor the better--I'm not sure.

But, ultimately, I find pitting "The Simpsons" vs "Family Guy" is like pitting "Daria" vs "Beavis and Butt-head"--it's apples and frickin' oranges, folks!
Oh, there are many reasons why I don't like Family Guy and American Dad, not just that they don't live up to the standards set by the Simpsons. Even the Simpsons can't live up to their own standards.

They steal jokes from the Simpsons and Futurama.

The characters are rip offs.

Stewie is a blatant rip off of the comic Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth.

The characters of Roger and Stan - and their dynamic - are almost a total rip off of Zap Brannigan and Kif.

I could go on and on about it, but most of it has already been said before by many other people. There are so many reasons why these shows just don't work for me.

Last edited by Superboy; 01-20-12 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 02:57 PM
Banned

big fan of the simpsons new eps entertain me but there not funny
Old 01-24-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jamespoo
big fan of the simpsons new eps entertain me but there not funny
You mean "they're not funny"