TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Simpsons -- "The D'oh-cial Network" -- 01/15/12

Old 01-15-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The Simpsons -- "The D'oh-cial Network" -- 01/15/12

"The D'oh-cial Network"
Spoiler:
As the mastermind and creator of the online social networking phenomenon SpringFace, Lisa is called to trial when Springfield's obsession with the site becomes chaotic and dysfunctional. Lisa recounts her story and explains that she created the site after realizing she had no real friends. But as SpringFace expands and Springfield's fixation with the site causes mass hysteria, Lisa begins to realize that adding thousands of friends online did not compare to having real friendships. Later, Patty and Selma compete against the Winklevoss Twins (guest star Armie Hammer) in the rowing event at the 2012 Olympic Games in the all-new "The D'oh-cial Network" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Jan. 15 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2304) (TV-PG D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Tress MacNeille as Dolph

Guest Voice Cast: Armie Hammer as the Winklevoss twins
Old 01-15-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: The Simpsons -- "The D'oh-cial Network" -- 01/15/12

Uggh
Old 01-15-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of my favorite episodes have been Lisa-centric, so I'm game for this.
Old 01-15-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Lisa episodes are kind of mixed so this one coud go either way for me.

I know a lot of people think The Simpsons has declined in quality over the years, but I think the past few seasons or so the show has become better. The show is waiting for me on my DVR at home and I'm looking forward to catching it.
Old 01-16-12, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The last few seasons have been infinitely better than the dreck most of the teen years produced, but the original audience has mostly moved on so they don't realize the show has gotten decent again.
Old 01-16-12, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time someone tells me that the show is good again, I tune in and I'm only disappointed. It's still incredibly dull.

I watched an episode on Hulu recently, and they had a huge collection of clips, almost all of which were from the first 6 seasons.

Remember that realllllly old episode (god, i'm old) about Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie? that's what the show has actually turned into.

Last edited by Superboy; 01-16-12 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-16-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Somebody actually remembers Poochie?
Old 01-16-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This episode was awful. They clearly didn't have much of an episode to begin with. To start with, the opening credits were super long (which according to the commentaries, if they have a long opening, the episode was running short). Then once the episode ended, there was about 4 MORE minutes of filler at the end with Patty & Selma and some stupid cartoon about Bart that used a different animation style. I'd say there was maybe 16 minutes of the actual episode itself. But the episode itself was terrible, so maybe that's a good thing.
Old 01-16-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Meh. Who castrated "The Simpsons"?

Man, I wish there was an adult-oriented animated TV series that had the intelligence of "The Simpsons" but the balls-to-the-wall moxie of "Family Guy". Sort of like a cartoon that had the essence of George Carlin.
Old 01-16-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
that was an all-time classic.

"I must go now, my planet needs me!"
Old 01-16-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD

Man, I wish there was an adult-oriented animated TV series that had the intelligence of "The Simpsons" but the balls-to-the-wall moxie of "Family Guy". Sort of like a cartoon that had the essence of George Carlin.
The closest thing might be The Cleveland Show, but only by process of elimination.
Old 01-16-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

American Dad
Old 01-16-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657

"...to the extreme!!!"
Old 01-16-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I'd say this season has been a significant step up in terms of quality of the writing. I'm finding myself laughing quite a bit more this season that the previous few.
Old 01-16-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

South Park.

I think people have to realize that while The Simpsons is no longer in it's prime by any means for being on as long as it has it does still have the ability of being a pretty funny and intelligently written show. It's just that being on for so long the show isn't at it's wittiest and has done so much. It still entertains me though . Maybe it's just my love for the characers but I'll tune in until the end.
Old 01-17-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
The closest thing might be The Cleveland Show, but only by process of elimination.
Originally Posted by RichC2
American Dad
Originally Posted by Mike86
South Park.
No, no, and no.

Those shows aren't funny, or intelligent, or witty. They're dumb. Compare the following Michael Jackson jokes:

South Park: A cartoon version of Michael Jackson acts exactly like the real Michael Jackson, and then his nose falls off.

The Simpsons: Bart: "Lisa, there's no such thing as a soul. It's just something adults made up to scare children, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson".

See the difference? not to mention the Simpsons episode with the real Micheal Jackson that was an instant classic, an episode that holds up even to this day despite how creepy he became.

I think people have to realize that while The Simpsons is no longer in it's prime by any means for being on as long as it has it does still have the ability of being a pretty funny and intelligently written show. It's just that being on for so long the show isn't at it's wittiest and has done so much. It still entertains me though . Maybe it's just my love for the characers but I'll tune in until the end.
No, the show isn't good any more. Anytime there's a compilation of "best of" episodes, they're all from 20 years ago. And it's not just the jokes; the writing is bad. You'll have an easier time defending Star Trek: Voyager when it comes to bad writing.
Old 01-17-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

That Michael Jackson joke isn't particularly clever or funny, it was also really obvious at the time (I recall there were a ton of MJ pop shots back then). The Michael Jackson episode though is classic hinging on the heart and joke of having MJ as an overweight white dude in a mental ward, the rest of the episode was never particularly great to me, the premise (Homer gets sent away for wearing a pink shirt) had slight commentary but was also tremendously stupid

American Dad is pretty funny to me and not to you, so be it, but we can all agree The Simpsons is a shadow of it's former self. The Simpsons did pride itself more on cleverness back in the earlier seasons than pretty much any animated show does today, most of which reach for odd cut aways for quick gags, to me The Simpsons have never been hilarious but they used to be of a higher quality in terms of character and storytelling, both of which have definitely gone down.

That said I actually kind of enjoyed this episode.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-17-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-17-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The Beer Baron episode was on as a re-run last week. That's all it takes for me to remember why I stopped watching the current episodes.
Old 01-17-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
That Michael Jackson joke isn't particularly clever or funny, it was also really obvious at the time (I recall there were a ton of MJ pop shots back then). The Michael Jackson episode though is classic hinging on the heart and joke of having MJ as an overweight white dude in a mental ward, the rest of the episode was never particularly great to me, the premise (Homer gets sent away for wearing a pink shirt) had slight commentary but was also tremendously stupid
Would you believe that's the only Michael Jackson joke that the show ever made? there's something to be said about the subtly of humor. I thought the premise was great - a criticism of conformity and pop psychology all at once.

American Dad is pretty funny to me and not to you, so be it, but we can all agree The Simpsons is a shadow of it's former self. The Simpsons did pride itself more on cleverness back in the earlier seasons than pretty much any animated show does today, most of which reach for odd cut aways for quick gags, to me The Simpsons have never been hilarious but they used to be of a higher quality in terms of character and storytelling, both of which have definitely gone down.

That said I actually kind of enjoyed this episode.
I agree, it isn't just the humor that's suffered, it's the writing. Take the episode where Bart joins the junior campers. I used to think that was 3 different episodes, and when I saw it on DVD again for the first time years later, I couldn't believe that it was a distinct 3-act story just crammed into 22 minutes.
Old 01-17-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
This episode was awful. They clearly didn't have much of an episode to begin with. To start with, the opening credits were super long (which according to the commentaries, if they have a long opening, the episode was running short). Then once the episode ended, there was about 4 MORE minutes of filler at the end with Patty & Selma and some stupid cartoon about Bart that used a different animation style. I'd say there was maybe 16 minutes of the actual episode itself. But the episode itself was terrible, so maybe that's a good thing.
The opening was funny and they aren't trying to hide anything since they told us that when the show runs short the opening is long.
The Patty and Selma as was the rest of the show was a parody of a little known movie
" The Social Network"

THe animation at the end was also a parody and was called "the show is too short, short" or something to that effect, so they again weren't trying to put one over on anyone.

I thought it was funny, oh well.
Old 01-17-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
No, no, and no.

Those shows aren't funny, or intelligent, or witty. They're dumb. Compare the following Michael Jackson jokes:

South Park: A cartoon version of Michael Jackson acts exactly like the real Michael Jackson, and then his nose falls off.

The Simpsons: Bart: "Lisa, there's no such thing as a soul. It's just something adults made up to scare children, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson".

See the difference? not to mention the Simpsons episode with the real Micheal Jackson that was an instant classic, an episode that holds up even to this day despite how creepy he became.

No, the show isn't good any more. Anytime there's a compilation of "best of" episodes, they're all from 20 years ago. And it's not just the jokes; the writing is bad. You'll have an easier time defending Star Trek: Voyager when it comes to bad writing.
I can agree with you on the Seth MacFarlane created shows. His stuff isn't clever at all really for the most part. He mostly seems to string together random jokes and pop culture references and a paper thin storyline to keep his shows in tact. South Park on the other hand I'd have to disagree with you. I'd say it's easily one of the better written comedies on, animated or otherwise. I understand if maybe you don't care for it but pulling one joke and using it as the basis for saying the show isn't funny, intelligent or witty is pretty unfair. South Park has it's share of silly moments where they make a stupid exagerrated joke, but Trey and Matt also can write clever satire when they want.

As far as The Simpsons goes, as I said I realize it's not the classic it once was and is no longer in it's prime, but they still have their moments. Using compilations as a defense as to why the show isn't good isn't really that fair though either if you ask me. They probably know that if they used more new clips the fanboys would bitch about it anyways but it's still not the best defense as to why the show isnt good.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-18-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-17-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
The Beer Baron episode was on as a re-run last week. That's all it takes for me to remember why I stopped watching the current episodes.
Really? It may not be one of the best episodes, but it has one of the best lines ever written:

Old 01-17-12, 08:48 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I might get booed for saying this, but "American Dad!" (in it's middle seasons) is the only show that has ever approached the wit of the "The Simpsons". I loved it. (It's quality has waned the last couple of seasons, sadly) But, watch an episode like "With Friends Like Steve's" or "Finances with Wolves" and try not to laugh.

And people like to slag MacFarlane's shows for the non sequitur gags (which AD! doesn't rely on), but the one thing where *all* 3 of his shows excel at is the DIALOGUE. The characters have amazing snappy patter with each other. In fact it gets no credit.

"South Park" on the other hand has absolutely atrocious comedic dialogue (you could have a drinking game where you take a drink you hear words like: "dude", "lame" "***" "hippy" and "weak" in between dry expositional dialogue about today's message [TM] By the first commercial break they'd need to pump your stomach).
Old 01-17-12, 09:00 PM

Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment is one of, if not the, best episode(s) of the Simpsons.
Old 01-17-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might get booed for saying this, but "American Dad!" (in it's middle seasons) is the only show that has ever approached the wit of the "The Simpsons". I loved it. (It's quality has waned the last couple of seasons, sadly) But, watch an episode like "With Friends Like Steve's" or "Finances with Wolves" and try not to laugh.

And people like to slag MacFarlane's shows for the non sequitur gags (which AD! doesn't rely on), but the one thing where *all* 3 of his shows excel at is the DIALOGUE. The characters have amazing snappy patter with each other. In fact it gets no credit.

"South Park" on the other hand has absolutely atrocious comedic dialogue (you could have a drinking game where you take a drink you hear words like: "dude", "lame" "***" "hippy" and "weak" in between dry expositional dialogue about today's message [TM] By the first commercial break they'd need to pump your stomach).
Well the South Park characters are kids so I don't really hold that against the show. It seems in line with how younger people would talk amongst each other to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.