The Walking Dead - aborted "fall of Atlanta" prequel project

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 06:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
The Walking Dead - aborted "fall of Atlanta" prequel project

http://dailydead.com/the-walking-dea...rabont-firing/

Fans of Being Human (US), Battlestar Galactica, and The Mist are familiar with actor Sam Witwer, but did you know he also had a cameo in the pilot episode of The Walking Dead TV series? When Rick hides inside of the tank, Frank Darabont had Sam playing the role of the zombie soldier.

During a recent interview, Sam revealed that Frank Darabont had plans for a prequel episode featuring the zombie soldier. He also talks very candidly about the firing of Frank Darabont as showrunner of The Walking Dead and provides some new details.

Sam Witwer: “I was already in The Walking Dead. You guys have heard what’s happened, recently. I’m furious at them for this, because Frank is my friend, he’s my buddy. Not only is he my buddy, but he’s a guy I’m extremely loyal to, because he gave me a shot with The Mist, when I didn’t have a hell of a lot going on. Here’s a guy who gets his cast and crew together and gives AMC a show, packages it all together, which is way cheaper than anywhere else because everyone is working way under their pay grade. Why? Because they want to and love working with Frank Darabont.

He has shared with me what kind of pay cuts people were taking, and I am also friends with other people on that set in other departments. He said to me, ‘Look, I think it would be really cool to tell a prequel story about how Atlanta fell, do Black Hawk Down, but with zombies, have a few main characters pass through, but the lead will be you. You’re a soldier and all these horrible things happen, and the chain of command breaks down, and, eventually, you have to take out your superior officer. Then, eventually, in the end, you get bit.’ He’s pitching me this. ‘You’re crawling and you crawl into this tank and you have a grenade and you’re going to blow yourself up, but you set the grenade next to you and you die. Then, we reprise the scene from the pilot, where Rick gets in the tank and there’s a zombie there.’

If you look closely, I played that zombie, because we were setting up this prequel we were going to do. If you watch the pilot of The Walking Dead, that’s me in the tank as the zombie, and then Rick blasts him and he gets deafened, and he gets that grenade which saves him at the end of the season…

…It’s not happening now. Why? Because AMC wanted to save a few bucks. That is just one example of the kind of cool, awesome forethought, this guy has put into this show, that is now absolutely written off. For me, it doesn’t matter much because I’m busy doing Being Human. We were going to schedule things around. I’m not lamenting the loss of a job, I’m lamenting the loss of an amazing idea. And there are dozens and dozens of amazing ideas just like that, which are now gone.”
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uCyjdBac6p4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-05-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead - aborted "fall of Atlanta" prequel project

That prequel sounds like it could have been pretty awesome. Hopefully it's only mostly dead, kind of like the walkers.
Old 01-05-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That would have been a cool stand-alone zombie movie. And AMC is certainly not gonna work with Witwer now!. Ha ha ha.
Old 01-06-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn...I would've gladly watched and purchased that. Damn you Mad Men!
Old 01-06-12, 10:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, sounds like that could have been kind of awesome.
Old 01-06-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still waiting on the prequel explaining the origin of Glenn's pen.
Old 01-06-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Damn...I would've gladly watched and purchased that. Damn you Mad Men!
Yep, you hit the nail on the head here...AMC paid all that $$$ in that Mad Men deal, and had to cut back on everything else.
Old 01-06-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

They could have put that money toward this prequel idea. Seriously, why line the guy's pocket whose show gets a third of Walking Dead's viewership?
Old 01-06-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

It's really depressing to hear all of the stuff Darabont had planned, only to have AMC scuttle everything in order to kiss Mad Men's ass.

Darabont was going to have Stephen King write an episode, too. Speculation was that it was going to be Michonne's story.

When I hear about all of the chickenshit stuff AMC has been pulling behind the scenes, it really makes me lose enthusiasm for the show. At least we'll always have the comics with Robert Kirkman in full control. It's not like Image Comics can make him tank his own show in order to make Spawn look better.
Old 01-06-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Imagine if this show instead was produced by HBO...or Showtime (in the vein of Spartacus).
Old 01-06-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm still waiting on the prequel explaining the origin of Glenn's pen.
I hear they're doing a 10 issue comic series.

It's go to be called I Am Bic.
Old 01-07-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's Frank Darabont's detailed description of what he had in mind for the episode. I think it would have been great to not only see this ep, but all of the other 'anthology' episodes.

"Dear Eric,

Sure, I’ll confirm that storyline. Why not? Big caveat here though:

CraveOnline is much mistaken in saying this was for a “web series.” This was never meant as a web gimmick, this was intended for use in the actual TV series. I wanted to kick off the 2nd season with the flashback episode Sam describes, which would have followed a squad of Army Rangers getting trapped in the city and trying to survive as Atlanta falls. 

The idea was to do this with a very focused “you are there” documentary feel. Not going all shaky-cam, but still making it a bit rawer and grainier than the rest of the show. We’d start with a squad of maybe seven or eight soldiers being dropped into the city by chopper. They have map coordinates they need to get to; they’ve been told to report to a certain place to provide reinforcement. It’s not a special mission, it’s basically a housekeeping measure putting more boots on the ground to reinforce key intersections and installations throughout the city. And we follow this group from the moment the copter sets them down. All they have to do is travel maybe a dozen blocks, a simple journey, but what starts as a no-brainer scenario goes from “the city is being secured” to “holy shit, we’ve lost control, the world is ending.” Our squad gets blocked at every turn and are soon just trying to survive. I wanted to do a really tense, character-driven ensemble story as communications break down, supply lines are lost, escape routes are cut off, morale falls apart, leadership unravels, mutinies heat up, etc. (Yes, this approach owes a spiritual debt to a number of great films, including Walter Hill’s Southern Comfort.)

Along the way, I thought we could briefly dovetail this story with a few established characters from the show. Not to overdo that, mind you, because it could get silly and too coincidental if you load too much into that idea. But I thought it would be great to veer off on a quick narrative detour that brushes our soldiers briefly up against some people we know. Picture our squad arriving at a manned barricade where some civilians are being held back from leaving the city on shoot-to-kill orders to stop the spread of contagion, it’s a panicked high-intensity scene, and in this crowd of desperate people we find Andrea and Amy. The barricade gunners panic, the civilians start to get mowed down by machine gun fire, and in this melee the girls get pulled to safety by some old guy they don’t even know. It’s Dale. He’s nobody to them, just some guy who saw the opportunity to do the right thing and reacted in the moment. This would have been perhaps a minute or two of the episode, just a cool detour like the various outposts the soldiers encounter in Saving Private Ryan, but we would have witnessed the moment that Dale meets Andrea and Amy, seen where that relationship began. I also felt it would be a great way to get Emma Bell back into the series for a moment, because she was so wonderful and we were all so sorry that her character died and she had to leave the show. (Of course if this “brush with established characters” idea didn’t work in the script stage, I’d have tossed it out. You try a lot of ideas like that as you go, see how they play. But I thought this one stood a pretty good chance of being engineered to work well.) 

So the story follows these soldiers through hell as the city falls apart and the squad implodes, with Sam’s soldier being the main character and the moral center of the group. He becomes the last survivor of the squad, and he finally gets to the map coordinates they’ve been trying to get to from the start: it’s the barricade at the Atlanta courthouse intersection from the pilot where Rick later finds the tank. The soldier is still alive when he gets there, but he’s been bitten. He’s accomplished his “simple” mission, but he’s gone through seven kinds of hell to do it (including being forced to frag his squad leader), and now he’s dying. And he crawls off into the tank just to get off the street and under cover. As his fever builds and the poor guy starts to hallucinate, he pulls his last grenade and considers ending his life. He sets the grenade down on that shelf for a moment to reflect on all the shit and misery that brought him to this sad end-point of his life, and to dredge up the courage to pull the pin...but before he can act, the fever burns him out and he dies. 

The kicker comes in the last moments of this episode:

After the soldier dies this squalid, lonely death...and after a quiet lapse of time...we do a shot-for-shot reprise from the first episode of the first season: Rick comes scrambling into the tank to escape the horde...blows that zombie soldier’s brains out...now Rick’s trapped...fade out...the end.

The notion was to take the “throwaway” tank zombie Rick encountered in the pilot, and tell that soldier’s story. Make him the star of his own movie, follow his journey, but don’t reveal who he is until the end. The idea being that every zombie has a story, every undead extra was once a human being with a life of his/her own...was, in a sense, the star of his own life’s movie. And we’ve followed this one particular guy and seen how his life ended; we witness his struggles, see his good intentions and his failures, and we experience his godawful death in this tank. That’s why I cast Sam as that tank zombie in the first place instead of just casting some extra. I had this story in mind while filming the pilot, and I knew I’d need a superb actor to play that soldier when the time came.

And then starting with Episode 202, we’d be back with Rick’s group and back in step with the flow of the established story from last season.

I always had in mind to throw in a “wild-card” episode every season, maybe as a season opener or closer. Just a separate story more in the feel of an anthology series, one that appears completely off the track of the regular series but actually does wind up tying in somehow by the fade-out. They did that sort of thing on LOST on occasion, and I really respected it. It always seemed like a bold choice that trusted the audience and rewarded their loyalty with a totally unexpected surprise episode every so often.

That’s it from me. I hope things are well on your end.

Best,

Frank"

AICN
Old 01-07-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Fuck you, AMC.

Fuck you very much.
Old 01-07-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Hey, AMC tried to strong-arm Mad Men by making them get rid of cast members and cut the length of each episode, and that's after having won Outstanding Drama Emmys for 3 years in a row. They had to do some negotiating of their own to make things work. AMC has tried to fuck over their main three shows in various ways. Seems like they just can't balance their own books.
Old 01-08-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

What I dont get is Darabont keeps refrencing this idea as the season 2 opener. He was a part of season 2.
Old 01-08-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What I dont get is Darabont keeps refrencing this idea as the season 2 opener. He was a part of season 2.
The suits probably started interfering before Season 2 started filming. Anyway, who wants a long flashback episode in the city? That would take away from all that precious time on the farm!
Old 01-08-12, 10:03 PM

How does not producing this prequel "save money"? It presumably would have been profitable, like the series, so that seems more like "throwing away millions of dollars in profit" than "saving money".
Old 01-08-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Budgeting and finance aren't always that simple. That logic only applies if you have money to burn. Let's say I have $10k. Let's say each episode costs $5k. So I commission 2 episodes @ $5k each for $10k. On each one, I'll make, say, $2.5k. A decent return on investment. Now someone comes up to us before we've earned any money on episodes 1-2 and says, "Hey, let's do another one." But I don't have another $5k. So even if it'd earn me another $2.5k, I just don't have it. Maybe I could borrow it, but that only makes sense if I'm absolutely positively 100% sure I'll make enough back to warrant borrowing the money and paying the interest. Maybe I hold off and say... let's just let the money from these 2 come in before we start chopping down bigger trees. The numbers are of course bigger in the real situation, but the principle applies. It's not a sound financial gamble to make an infinite number (glut) of episodes of even a profitable show. Ratings can vary. Saturation can vary. And just maybe it's more expensive to shoot the planned episode than your average wander through the forest, meander on a farm episode.

I'm not saying AMC was right or wrong, but I will say it's not as simple as it might at first appear. I tend to believe the people responsible for managing the books know a lot more about their books than I do.
Old 01-09-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Fuck you, AMC.

Fuck you very much.
This.

X1000000000
Old 01-10-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I finally got around to watching this series over the weekend. I burned through season 1 and almost done with ep. 7 of season 2 in three days! Needless to say, the show definitely had me hooked, and while I enjoyed season 2, I can definitely see the lack of Darabont's touch and the budget cutting. Seven episodes on a freaking farm where really not much happens. Only a few scenes of zombie masses. AMC is going to have this show limping into season 3 if they keep up this low budget crap.

I love the prequel ideal, but I don't think it would work as a season opener. Viewers need to get back in touch our main characters. Would be great for a mid-season filler though. I really want to know more backstory about how the military responded and was overrun!
Old 01-14-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Season 3 to get 16 episodes.

AMC ANNOUNCES 16 EPISODE ORDER FOR “THE Walking Dead” SEASON 3

Second Season of the Global Hit Series Continues to Deliver More Adults 18-49

Than Any Other Basic Cable Drama in Television History

Pasadena, CA – January 14, 2012 – AMC announced today from the Television Critics Association (TCA) Press Tour in Pasadena, CA that the third season of “The Walking Dead” will consist of 16 episodes. Previous season orders were for 13 episodes. AMC’s international broadcast partner FOX International Channels (FIC) will follow the 16 episode order and structure a similar schedule worldwide. Season two of the critically acclaimed global hit series continues to deliver the strongest telecasts for any drama in basic cable history against Adults 18-49, as well as, top international pay-TV ratings on Fox International Channels’ (FIC) major markets. “The Walking Dead” is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Glen Mazzara serves as series’ showrunner and executive producer. Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and Frank Darabont are executive producers with Greg Nicotero as co-executive producer.

“The Walking Dead” has received rave reviews from countless critics, both domestic and international, who heralded the series as “above all else, ‘The Walking Dead’ hasn't lost the most important ingredient in its strangely successful recipe: it’s thrilling” (The Hollywood Reporter), “…with Dead’s riveting cast of characters, the personal dynamics are almost as potent as the gory thrills” (Us Weekly), “‘The Walking Dead’ is a feast. Dig in.” (The Guardian, UK), “It doesn’t even take three minutes to realize that this series is setting standards” (Der Tagesspiegel, Germany).

“The Walking Dead” secured a 2010 Golden Globe®nomination for Best Television Series - Drama and won the 2011 Emmy® Award for Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup. The series tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home.
Old 01-14-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Great more filler.
Old 01-14-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

But if they had made this they probably wouldn't have been able to re-hire Christina Hendricks....

Seriously, this could have been something great when viewed with the rest of the series. I think getting rid of Darabont will wind up being what buries the Walking Dead in the long run, pun intended of course.