Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boardwalk Empire -- Season Finale -- "To the Lost" -- 12/11/11

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- Season Finale -- "To the Lost" -- 12/11/11

I'm not sure what you could do with Jimmy though. He tried a coup to take over AC and it failed. Nucky won't take him back, Manny wants him dead, he killed his dad, Capone & Luciano played him for a fool, and most of the old local guys were only along for the ride when they thought Nucky was going to prison.
Old 12-14-11, 09:36 PM

How can you judge something you never watched?

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Hell no! lol

I never watched the Sopranos but Boardwalk Empire is better.

What will happen with Jimmys mother? Will she get wacked or will she try to form an alliance with somebody and get revenge on Nucky.

Maybe Richard Harrow can start banging her now since Jimmy is gone.
Old 12-15-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
I'm not sure what you could do with Jimmy though. He tried a coup to take over AC and it failed. Nucky won't take him back, Manny wants him dead, he killed his dad, Capone & Luciano played him for a fool, and most of the old local guys were only along for the ride when they thought Nucky was going to prison.
Yup, Someone had to die for plotting Nucky's assassination. He had two choices. Side with Jimmy and Kill Eli and Horvitz. Or just Kill Jimmy. Killing Jimmy makes the most sense. It gains Nucky a powerful ally in Horvitz. Not to mention he still needs Eli to take the rap for the election rigging. It also sends a message that Nucky will destroy you if you cross him.

In the end Nucky showed the difference between he and Jimmy. When Jimmy had the chance to kill Nucky he was reluctant and it wound up costing him. On the other-hand when Nucky knew what had to be done, he took care of business.

Last edited by Thrush; 12-15-11 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

For anyone who wonders why Nucky believed Eli over Jimmy, I can think of 2 reasons:

-Eli says to him at his house, "Why would I try to kill you, I came to you and begged forgiveness!"

-Eli is still family, and blood is thicker then water, especially when Jimmy says that he should have killed his dad along time ago and Nucky replies, "Well, he was your dad."
Old 12-15-11, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I'm with you. She was nails on a chalkboard.
Um, I think that was the point. It's called acting.
Old 12-15-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, spoilers please if talking about plots from other shows! I guess I don't need to watch Breaking Bad now.
Old 12-15-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
By the way, spoilers please if talking about plots from other shows! I guess I don't need to watch Breaking Bad now.
Glad I'm not the only one pissed about that.
Old 12-15-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
For anyone who wonders why Nucky believed Eli over Jimmy, I can think of 2 reasons:

-Eli says to him at his house, "Why would I try to kill you, I came to you and begged forgiveness!"

-Eli is still family, and blood is thicker then water, especially when Jimmy says that he should have killed his dad along time ago and Nucky replies, "Well, he was your dad."
With the first point, yeah, he did go to him and beg forgiveness, but then Nucky completely humiliated him and Eli was close to killing him.

The second, I suppose, is reasonable although flawed, since blood was not thicker than water when it came to how Eli felt.
Old 12-15-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, I think that was the point. It's called acting.
Yeah. Acting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Weumo8EhG7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-15-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She's not anything like she is on the show, surprisingly. She seems coherent and uses a decent vocabulary.
Old 12-15-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She always seems drunk to me. And annoying.
Old 12-15-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, in the show, she's obviously supposed to be an annoying, dimwitted, Betty Boop flapper type. She just happens to look better naked than anyone else on the show.
Old 12-15-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, in the show, she's obviously supposed to be an annoying, dimwitted, Betty Boop flapper type. She just happens to look better naked than anyone else on the show.
I'll give you that now that Dabney Coleman is gone.
Old 12-15-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb

I also think it helps that Eli is dumb as a stump. That entire interaction they had about Shakespeare was great and reminded Nucky how much of a dolt Eli is. He probably doesn't think Eli has the brain cells to be a real threat to him. Eli as far as we know is the only family Nucky has left. As you said, that has to count for something.
Old 12-15-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
She always seems drunk to me. And annoying.
Agreed. I saw her on some talk show or another, and 98% of the difference between her and the character Lucy is costume and makeup.
Old 12-15-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you're referring to my post, I'm not so reckless as to spoil BB for anyone. What I said isn't really a spoiler, but a snippet from an interview back in the days of season 2. I don't consider it a spoiler because it is never really a question whether or not that character lives or dies as he ended up being written as a major protagonist. It's no more a spoiler than saying Betty Drapper hasn't killed off in Mad Men, but the writers were once planning to do so. I suppose, given the subject matter of the show, it was a bit of an indirect spoiler if you're the sort that watches those shows predicting who is going to die. In which case, I apologize, but it's nothing you couldn't have deduced from seeing a print ad for the next season, or glancing at the cover of a DVD.
Old 12-15-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I'll give you that now that Dabney Coleman is gone.
I still have fond memories of Modern Problems.
Old 12-17-11, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great finale. One thing I noticed is that it felt like Jimmy didn't really care about living or dying after his wife was killed. Almost like he wanted to go to the meeting knowing what was really going to happen. Granted it didn't seem like he loved his wife that much but after seeing the flashback, it made a little more sense. Him being in love with her, living a good life, and his mom ruining it all.
Old 12-17-11, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
If you're referring to my post, I'm not so reckless as to spoil BB for anyone. What I said isn't really a spoiler, but a snippet from an interview back in the days of season 2. I don't consider it a spoiler because it is never really a question whether or not that character lives or dies as he ended up being written as a major protagonist. It's no more a spoiler than saying
Spoiler:
Betty Drapper hasn't killed off in Mad Men, but the writers were once planning to do so
. I suppose, given the subject matter of the show, it was a bit of an indirect spoiler if you're the sort that watches those shows predicting who is going to die. In which case, I apologize, but it's nothing you couldn't have deduced from seeing a print ad for the next season, or glancing at the cover of a DVD.
J***s C****t...just STFU already. Thanks a lot for spoiling TWO shows for me.
Old 12-18-11, 02:48 AM

I don't see those two examples as being spoilers whatsoever jpb07.

Those are common sense conclusions unless you are purposely living in a cave until you eventually get to Mad Men or BB.

Which would be quite sad.

note: I guess you could be joking of course. lol
Old 12-19-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Not so sure of that. Katie was WOW in her nude scene
Old 12-19-11, 01:32 AM

I thought that was one of the best episodes of television that I've watched in a year. Simply brilliant. The acting and directing was amazing. That being said, it will also be the last episode of Boardwalk Empire that I watch. Darmody was the character I identified with and was rooting for. I just don't root for Nucky. Thanks for 2 amazing seasons of a show though, it was a fantastic ride!
Old 12-19-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you "root" for Tony Soprano? I don't get it.
Old 12-19-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably, yes. And he wouldn't be alone. Antihero to the extreme. It's been going on since the days of The Godfather (in my memory) and probably even before that. I think the underlying reason is that although we know these are bad people, we basically only see them being bad to other bad people. So they're kind of the good (or maybe slightly admirable) of the bad. We see Tony Soprano trying to protect his family (something we can all relate to), come to terms with his demons, and survive being raised by his mother. And Darmody did serve his country after all. And his mother...

Nobody is nominating these characters for sainthood, but let's not kid ourselves... within the confines of escapism entertainment, we most certainly do have some admiration for these bad characters.
Old 12-19-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by malichai
Darmody was the character I identified with and was rooting for. I just don't root for Nucky. Thanks for 2 amazing seasons of a show though, it was a fantastic ride!
Don't get me wrong, I liked the Darmody character, but he wasn't that great where the show can't go on. IMO I always look at Boardwalk Empire as an ensemble show about the various characters from that time period. I don't watch it the same as The Sopranos where Tony was the show, and it would get sidetracked with secondary characters storylines. I guess you could say I watch Boardwalk Empire in a more macro sense, and The Sopranos in a more micro sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.