DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The X Factor -- Top 5 Perform -- 12/07/11 (FOX) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/597145-x-factor-top-5-perform-12-07-11-fox.html)

DJariya 12-07-11 02:39 PM

The X Factor -- Top 5 Perform -- 12/07/11 (FOX)

Remaining Contestants:

Josh Krajcik

Melanie Amaro

Rachel Crow

Chris Rene

Marcus Canty

This week they are performing 2 songs each as selected by viewer voting.

whotony 12-07-11 03:11 PM

Re: The X Factor -- Top 5 Perform -- 12/07/11 (FOX)

I can't get into this show. Too many kids making it this far.

DJariya 12-07-11 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11033875)
I can't get into this show. Too many kids making it this far.

Too many kids? Rachel is the only "kid" at 13. The rest are all adults.

sinned 12-07-11 04:25 PM

Will this be another double elimination week?

whotony 12-07-11 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11033893)
Too many kids? Rachel is the only "kid" at 13. The rest are all adults.

They seem like kids to me. Up until last show there was 4 under 20 years old now of the 5 three are under twenty.
The only one who seems old or I should say adult is the hairy chubby guy.

DJariya 12-07-11 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11034037)
They seem like kids to me. Up until last show there was 4 under 20 years old now of the 5 three are under twenty.
The only one who seems old or I should say adult is the hairy chubby guy.

Melanie is 19

Marcus is 20

Chris is 28

Josh is 30

Rachel is 13

I don't get why their age is an issue with you? 4 adults, 1 kid. What's the big deal? They made it this far because America voted them here.

whotony 12-07-11 05:02 PM

I don't know really, something about this group bugs me.

DJariya 12-07-11 05:10 PM

^^^ Your argument about their ages is so petty.

Unless the shit hits the fan, it's going to be a Melanie vs Josh finale.

whotony 12-07-11 05:29 PM

Petty? I just don't like the group. They seem too young to me oh well.
No biggie, I don't need to see it anymore this season.

DJariya 12-07-11 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11034121)
Petty? I just don't like the group. They seem too young to me oh well.
No biggie, I don't need to see it anymore this season.

Yes, petty. There is 2 weeks left in the competition after tomorrow and on episode 21 you come up with some cockamamie argument that you don't like this group because of their ages? :lol: C'Mon man talk about nonsense. If you don't like this group because you don't think they are talented, then that's another story. But, then again why the hell would you watch 21 of 26 episodes and have some epiphany that this group sucks because they are "Too Young" For the record, Josh is pretty damn talented as well as Melanie.

Sounds like you need to go back to watching America's Got Talent with jugglers, magicians and dancing dogs.

whotony 12-07-11 06:54 PM

This feels like Americas got Talent. I don't like that either.
I haven't watched every episode. I've tried a few times to watch but it just isn't working for me.

Tcoffman 12-07-11 07:26 PM

I'm really disappointed in this show, it gets worse each week. I've watched American Idol for several years now and I've never seen Simon do so many standing ovations and give so much praise for mediocre performances. It seems obvious to me he's over doing it to try and make the show a success

Tcoffman 12-07-11 07:33 PM

Rachael has got the most potential. Josh wants to be Joe Cocker

tommyp007 12-07-11 07:40 PM

I'm burnt out too, but I'll finish the show. I don't care who wins now ( I Liked LeRoy Bell). With X-factor, The Sing-off, AI and America's got Talent on the family schedule, I feel like it's the same show running year round.

Tcoffman 12-07-11 08:04 PM

I feel the exact same way, I don't bother voting anymore either.

Tcoffman 12-07-11 08:06 PM

I liked Leroy Bell and Stacy Francis

covenant 12-07-11 08:08 PM

Work that post count!

Dragon Tattoo 12-07-11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007 (Post 11034285)
I'm burnt out too, but I'll finish the show. I don't care who wins now ( I Liked LeRoy Bell).

Sadly, there's only room for one Michael Bolton in the world.

covenant 12-07-11 08:30 PM

Just when I get tired of Chris Rene, he totally redeems himself!

Tcoffman 12-07-11 08:31 PM

I feel the exact same way, I don't bother voting anymore either.

chowderhead 12-07-11 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11034222)
Yes, petty. There is 2 weeks left in the competition after tomorrow and on episode 21 you come up with some cockamamie argument that you don't like this group because of their ages? :lol: C'Mon man talk about nonsense. If you don't like this group because you don't think they are talented, then that's another story. But, then again why the hell would you watch 21 of 26 episodes and have some epiphany that this group sucks because they are "Too Young" For the record, Josh is pretty damn talented as well as Melanie.

Sounds like you need to go back to watching America's Got Talent with jugglers, magicians and dancing dogs.

Maybe whotony did not like to watch Drew completely break down and bawl her eyes out because the judges eliminated her. Or, maybe, whotony got tired of watching Astro be a brat and cop an attitude on stage each week or watch precocious Rachel sing old songs each week. I actually don't care about any of the remaining contestants but the kids were the worse. It's called a personal opinion.

Dragon Tattoo 12-07-11 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 11034374)
Maybe whotony did not like to watch Drew completely break down and bawl her eyes out because the judges eliminated her. Or, maybe, whotony got tired of watching Astro be a brat and cop an attitude on stage each week or watch precocious Rachel sing old songs each week. I actually don't care about any of the remaining contestants but the kids were the worse. It's called a personal opinion.

The variety in contestants is what's supposed to make this show interesting. It's what this show was based on, and they didn't exactly lie about it in promotions. Complaining about it just seems ridiculous.

Also, the kids are some of the MOST talented. Crow is amazing and even the fact that Astro wrote his own songs each week is hugely impressive. These kids aren't exactly Justin Bieber.

tommy28 12-07-11 08:50 PM

If you dont watch or dont care why even open the thread and comment.

I like Josh and Rachel.. Chris does his own stuff great. other peoples songs, not so great.

Sonic 12-07-11 08:52 PM

I skipped many of the performances tonight gosh what a bore fest. The only act I enjoyed was the first act of Marcus because his dancer girls had amazing asses on them.

I say get rid of them all right now and give the trophy to Melanie.

whotony 12-07-11 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by tommy28 (Post 11034383)
If you dont watch or dont care why even open the thread and comment.

I like Josh and Rachel.. Chris does his own stuff great. other peoples songs, not so great.

Conversation. Also is this discussion only for the love of the show? No one is allowed to offer the opinion that they think it stinks.

I wanted to like the show because I like Simon and Scherzinger but I wasn't thrilled to have to see

One thing that really turned me off on this season was the little rapper guy. Right from his first appearance he was a little brat.

Sonic 12-07-11 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11034393)

One thing that really turned me off on this season was the little rapper guy. Right from his first appearance he was a little brat.

:lol:

MikahC 12-08-11 12:55 AM

1st Songs

Melanie Amaro - Someone Like You (Adele) - Cuter every week. Someone dressed the dancers like a character from Farscape. Not my favorite, but she's always on point.

Marcus Canty - Ain't Nobody (Chaka Khan) - Wow. Did not like this at all. I challenge anyone to listen to the original and like Marcus's version. I'm convinced I have a bad mix because I don't hear anything they're hearing. He sounds really bad to me.

Rachel Crow - Nothin’ on You (B.o.B. & Bruno Mars) - Liked the low-key intro that showcased her voice.

Josh Krajcik - We Found Love (Rihanna) - Again, on point. I really like his voice. I didn't really feel like the song was him.

Chris Rene - Live Your Life (T.I.) - Simon hit it on the head. He's not the best singer, but he does seem like a good recording artist. In fact, if I were watching the Grammy's and had a choice between watching Chris or, say, Usher, I'd choose Chris. I'd definitely pick him over Marcus, even though Marcus is a better singer.

2nd Songs

Melanie Amaro - When You Believe (Mariah/Whitney) - I could listen to her sing for a whole CD. I didn't think it was great, but it's certainly functional.

Marcus Canty - A Song For You (Donnie Hathaway) - First Marcus performance I kind of liked. But like Simon, I've heard better versions on talent shows (Elliott Yamin from AI comes to mind).

Rachel Crow - Michael Jackson (Music & Me) - I still like her voice, personality, and energy. She belongs on Disney, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Josh Krajcik - Something (The Beatles) - Josh had no knockouts tonight, but he's still on point.

Chris Rene - Where Do We Go From Here (Chris Rene) - This is why I like this show. Proof positive Chris can not only write lyrics, but write (and play) music. No, he's not a great singer, but he consistently comes up with music I think is current and relevant. The song was a bit repetitive, but I still enjoyed it enough not to want to want to turn it off. I've said from the beginning calling him a "rapper" underrates him.

If I had to pick one to go home, it'd be Marcus, except that the worst kept secret in "Hollywood" is Disney wants Rachel, so she'll do fine no matter what. Thus I'd be OK with her leaving now as it'll impact her less. My hope is that Marcus, then Rachel, then Chris (I want to hear more of what he comes up with), then either Melanie or Josh wins, probably Josh because I'm partial to singers who are also musicians.

rkndkn 12-08-11 12:46 PM

I really dislike Melanie's personality and how she now has to interject some comment or other. The others don't do that and I DON'T CARE. I hate the kind of songs she sings. I like Josh, but there's something a little serious/tense about him that's a little offputting. Chris is just plain likeable. Rachel's fine and Marcus was actually my first pick to get cut many weeks ago. I don't like to quit in the middle of things and I will see the season through, but I can't wait for "The Voice" to return. The judges are infinitely more entertaining even if the singers may not be my type.

Pizza 12-08-11 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11034393)
Conversation. Also is this discussion only for the love of the show? No one is allowed to offer the opinion that they think it stinks.

That seems to be a growing trend around here. Just check out the Walking Dead thread. It gets pretty bloody sometimes.
As for X Factor, I'm watching it but I'm not totally loving it. Can't stand Nicole Scherzinger. She was really getting into Simon last night. And Simon has been too polite so far with the contestants. Most of the folks I like are gone. I don't know who to root for at the moment. They're all talented though and I'd imagine a good number of them will get deals whether they win or not.

lordwow 12-08-11 07:58 PM

Well I think Simon may murder someone. And he may be justified.

SkullOrchard 12-08-11 08:02 PM

I've already Tweeted by death threat to Nicole Scherzinger.

Rachel was robbed. That shit wasn't even close.

covenant 12-08-11 08:03 PM

Loved the chorus of boos for Nicole. Expect more death threats.

chowderhead 12-08-11 08:03 PM

they need to raise the age limit on this show. Having young kids break down over and over because they are eliminated is uncomfortable to watch.
I am the last to defend Nicole but Rachel got the lowest amount of votes, she should have been eliminated.

sauce07 12-08-11 08:04 PM

That was awesome

YOU PROMISED ME

covenant 12-08-11 08:07 PM

I expect to see Marcus in the bottom two until he is eliminated.

Septemberbaby 12-08-11 08:10 PM

Nicole needs to go. She can't even make a decision. She's worthless.

Dragon Tattoo 12-08-11 08:17 PM

Whatever. Rachel's going to be a Disney star, which will be many times more profitable than whatever was coming to her from winning this shit show.

DWilson 12-08-11 09:05 PM

I love this show for all the wrong reasons. The last ten minutes of Thursday's show was fascinating television: the "gun-shot" look on Rachel's face when she got the word, her collapse, Nicole's breakdown, Simon's obvious anger, and most of all, Steve trying to get control of something so emotionally wrought (in particular, his shooing away Marcus Canty with a "We'll see you next week").

I'm so ashamed but I had to laugh a little bit.

Seriously, though, Nicole deserves all the negative reactions she'll get. While I wasn't a Rachel fan, she just killed that song tonight, and Marcus has a certain "dead fish" odor about him after all these weeks in the bottom (though you know they'll find some point next week to say that "Here's the reason we kept you in the contest!". On the other hand, Rachel's probably got a job waiting for her right now...

sinned 12-08-11 09:45 PM

So much drama on this show. Agree that Rachel should've stayed. I figure that Nicole thought that Rachel would have the votes to stay in it, so she took the easy way out. Big mistake. She certainly deserves all the criticism that is going to come her way.

Daytripper 12-08-11 10:08 PM

OK, did I watch the same show as you guys last night who thought Rachel sung better than Marcus? Her first performance was o.k. But the second was absolutely terrible. Most of the song was sung off key. Cute can only get you so far. I mean, I agree with those saying she has a career on the Disney channel. So she'll be able to improve on her singing skills. But she deserved to go because she was the worst. Now I'd like to address the drama. I was both laughing and cringing at the same time. Nicole's fake crying, Rachel collapsing and telling her mom "You promised me! You promised me!!", that horrible host with his mugging at the camera and trying to look remotely emotional. This show is such an embarrassing trainwreck. Knew it could only go down hill when Paul ran to the bathroom to throw up for seeing the one contestants's penis during the auditions.