Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race 19 -- "We Are Charlie Chaplin" -- 12/04/11

Ah, thanks Groucho. Missed that part.
Old 12-05-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
At two points in this leg cab drivers interfered with the game. This should not be allowed. All the cabs seem to have been readied by the producers -- how hard is it for them to instruct the cab drivers to not share information with other drivers? Now if the racers themselves want their cab driver to share info with another cab driver, fine. But they should not be allowed to make that decision themselves.

It really taints the entire race when the best team this year is eliminated by what is essentially cheating by two other teams.
I don't know what the answer is, because I didn't like the cab drivers talking to one another, but I also don't like the ideas of the producers interfering. I think they should interfere as little as possible. Between the two, I'd rather flukes like this happen than have the producers start getting people outside of the race involved in their shenanigans.
Old 12-05-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

There were numerous occasions in the past seasons where a lousy cab driver either cost the team a win, or $1 million dollars, or caused them to come in last. This is one of the few times where cab drivers actually helped bump a team up positions; conversely that also dropped one team to the last position.

I view these "races" as a reality show and not as a sport, where the "integrity of the game" must be upheld. There is no doubt in my mind that the producers must have done some subtle manipulations to either a) create more drama, b) keep a particular team in the race longer, or c) hinder team(s) from gaining a massive lead. As far as how often they do this I have no idea. But it would not shock me if they do it to just about every leg of the race to create their vision of "better television".
Old 12-05-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
But it would not shock me if they do it to just about every leg of the race to create their vision of "better television".
I'm not stupid enough to think that producers don't manipulate certain portions of the contest to create better television (see: Jeff Probst), but I seriously doubt that that happened in the case of the snowboarders. Having a hand in eliminating one of the more popular and successful teams of the season while keeping one the most anonymous (I still can't remember the names of the young couple) doesn't make sense then.

I DO think the producers force-bunch teams early in some legs (like when they have to wait half a day for a gate to open, allowing the back-of-the-pack teams a chance to catch up), but doubt it occurs towards the end.
Old 12-05-11, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an incredibly sucky way for the best team to go out of the race, but I don't see it cheating on the part of the other teams either (though my girlfriend will disagree). They didn't have anything to do with the cabbies calling each other, and I really don't see it as any different then them asking their drivers to follow the car in front of them, or overhearing another team figuring out a puzzle.
Old 12-06-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'm not stupid enough to think that producers don't manipulate certain portions of the contest to create better television (see: Jeff Probst), but I seriously doubt that that happened in the case of the snowboarders. Having a hand in eliminating one of the more popular and successful teams of the season while keeping one the most anonymous (I still can't remember the names of the young couple) doesn't make sense then.

I DO think the producers force-bunch teams early in some legs (like when they have to wait half a day for a gate to open, allowing the back-of-the-pack teams a chance to catch up), but doubt it occurs towards the end.
I agree. With this specific leg in Panama, it does not appear how things went down was due to any blatant manipulation by the show. It was just mediocrity prevailing in this particular case, with all three teams limping toward the pit stop more or less at the same time. The snowboarders dug their own graves when they took off from the pagoda dancers with a bad interpretation of the clues. Again, there's nothing new here, teams follow each other to the pit stop or a destination all the time. The pooling of information by cab drivers just made it that much easier.

With no vested interest in any of the four teams, to me this final will actually be slightly more interesting because there is no dominant teams left; so parity/mediocrity will make the final leg a bit more competitive...
Old 12-06-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
It's an incredibly sucky way for the best team to go out of the race, but I don't see it cheating on the part of the other teams either (though my girlfriend will disagree). They didn't have anything to do with the cabbies calling each other, and I really don't see it as any different then them asking their drivers to follow the car in front of them, or overhearing another team figuring out a puzzle.
Agreed.
Old 12-06-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
With no vested interest in any of the four teams, to me this final will actually be slightly more interesting because there is no dominant teams left; so parity/mediocrity will make the final leg a bit more competitive...
No doubt. The snowboarders would have been overwhelming favorites had they advanced based on their play to this point.
Old 12-06-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Stuff like this used to bother me, but it's just the nature of the beast. Teams can get taken out by things that are out of their immediate control like delayed flights, incompetent taxi drivers, bad directions, cars breaking down, etc.
Old 12-06-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

They have to do that. Otherwise the teams could get spread across continents and be days apart from each other. It would be a logistical nightmare for the producers.
Old 12-06-11, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They have to do that. Otherwise the teams could get spread across continents and be days apart from each other. It would be a logistical nightmare for the producers.
Didn't something like that actually happen one season?
Old 12-06-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't something like that actually happen one season?
Seasons 1 and 11
Old 12-06-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't really think of a way to describe why, but I want to punch Cindy in the face. She is extremely annoying.
Old 12-06-11, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I can't really think of a way to describe why, but I want to punch Cindy in the face. She is extremely annoying.
She's ugly as sin too.
Old 12-07-11, 12:06 AM

Really? I think she's quite attractive in that girl next door sort of way. Not saying she wouldn't be annoying though.
Old 12-07-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I think she is ugly also.
Old 12-07-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Wow, I'm shocked at all the Cindy hate. I like her.
Old 12-08-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
I think they knew who Charlie Chaplin was. After they said that they tried Buster Keaton and I think Harold Lloyd. They just did not know who Johnson and Thompson were.
I don't know if they actually knew those actors--I got the feeling they were using wikipedia similarities or something.

Easy for us to be snobby on a movie board.

Blatant product placement, but I'm a Tintin fan so I'll allow it. I would have liked to see them ask random people in the U.S. about Tintin, though.