TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- "Get Gellar" -- 11/27/11

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 07:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dexter -- "Get Gellar" -- 11/27/11

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Damn right! I'm tired of people acting like they called this amazing twist weeks ago.
Just because you overlooked it doesn't mean it hasn't been one of the most obvious, heavy-handed, telegraphed twists ever. I mean, short of subtitles that came out and said "Gellar is really dead", how much more obvious could they have made it for you?!
Old 12-01-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SubZeri
Just because you overlooked it doesn't mean it hasn't been one of the most obvious, heavy-handed, telegraphed twists ever. I mean, short of subtitles that came out and said "Gellar is really dead", how much more obvious could they have made it for you?!
+ about a million here.
Old 12-01-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SubZeri
Sarcasm, he was the first on the boards to note Gellar is really dead.
Old 12-01-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless SubZeri is also using sarcasm. But yeah Dave said in the the thread for the FIRST episode! LOL!
Old 12-01-11, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the only television message board I visit.

I would hope I would have figured it out earlier on my own but the posts and thoughts of members here implanted the seed so it was easy to look for the clues.

Again, I really want to assume I would have cracked it too because otherwise I am one obtuse individual lol
Old 12-01-11, 01:58 PM

Thanks bdshort and Josh-da-man.
Old 12-01-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Most people I know didn't see the twist coming. They all think I'm a genius now.

I'm happy they revealed it sooner than later, I didn't want this to be the big reveal of the season. I figure there will be something else coming up.

Since we're all dropping theories about the intern, I'll say that I think he's somehow related to the Ice Truck Killer. Therefore, he's related to Dexter. They've brought Brian back and Deb's been talking about him in therapy... it's almost as if they're "reminding" us about him. So I'll throw out that Ryan is involved with him somehow.

I hope that this thing with Laguerta ends with her getting canned. Maybe Mathews throws her under the bus. He'd be my hero if he does.

Bautista and Quinn are great together. Finding out that Quinn banged the old fat chick was hilarious. What I always liked about Dexter is that it has a sense of humor to go along with the drama and goriness.
Old 12-01-11, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm happy they revealed it sooner than later, I didn't want this to be the big reveal of the season. I figure there will be something else coming up.
There are only 3 episodes left.
Old 12-01-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Strafe
There are only 3 episodes left.
Yeah I know. That means there's still time for another reveal about DDK and a cliffhanger.
Old 12-01-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not going to lie, the only reason I didn't see that 'twist' coming is because I thought the writing on Dexter was better than resorting to a cheap tired plot device like that. Apparently I was wrong.
Old 12-02-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by windom
It may be the least satisfying kill of a Dexter "big bad" when (if?) Dexter finally kills Travis. He really doesn't seem to be malicious, but I guess we haven't really seen the other side of him yet. Where does Dexter's code stand with regards to killing someone with a serious mental disorder? The best twist to the season would be if Dexter actually allowed the police to capture Travis instead of killing him.
Came here to post exactly this.

I think the theme of this season is Dexter's growth as a human being. From not killing Trinity's son, to feeling genuine sorrow for the murder of the garage minister (and actually wanting to forgive his killer), to his obvious devotion to his son, and now to the gray area that Travis presents, Dexter is beginning to see life in shades of gray rather than stark black & white. Dexter has always dealt with clearly evil killers who need to be removed from society. But now he's seeing that some killers are not necessarily evil. They can be good people who are very fucked up causing them to commit evil acts and who deserve treatment rather than extermination.

FWIW, I do not think Dexter will kill Travis.
Old 12-02-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^My guess is that after the next episode Travis will seem much more deserving of Dexter's table.
Old 12-02-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Travis killed Gellar.

Makes it pretty clear in Dexter's eyes, it would seem.
Old 12-02-11, 01:35 PM

I really hope they don't keep Travis 100% in cold calculating Gellar mode from now on. He has been deeply conflicted (switching between personalities?) all season long. He certainly wasn't portrayed as keeping up an act to lure Dexter in -- it was two personalities at odds with each other.

That conflict should at least somewhat continue to give the first 9 episodes any kind of credibility.

I still say both sides will manifest to Dexter when Dexter has the upper hand (on the table or otherwise). Dexter will have to make a choice and his previous choices (Trinity's son, Brother Sam's murderer) will inform things.
Old 12-02-11, 01:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Because of Brother Sam, Dexter knows that others can lose their "dark passenger". I think that will play into the ultimate fate of Travis.
Old 12-02-11, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
I really hope they don't keep Travis 100% in cold calculating Gellar mode from now on. He has been deeply conflicted (switching between personalities?) all season long. He certainly wasn't portrayed as keeping up an act to lure Dexter in -- it was two personalities at odds with each other.

That conflict should at least somewhat continue to give the first 9 episodes any kind of credibility.

I still say both sides will manifest to Dexter when Dexter has the upper hand (on the table or otherwise). Dexter will have to make a choice and his previous choices (Trinity's son, Brother Sam's murderer) will inform things.
It's not like he can let Miami PD have Travis, though. He knows way too much about Dexter.
Old 12-03-11, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Because of Brother Sam, Dexter knows that others can lose their "dark passenger". I think that will play into the ultimate fate of Travis.
Yep, whatever other weaknesses this season might have (I think it's been a great one with a few flaws), they have done a good job of setting up a real dilemma for Dexter with a big bad. I wonder if we'll see tiny Dad on one shoulder in white and tiny Big Bro on the other in red.

That is, if Travis doesn't just stay all evil for three episodes.

DT, I know it seems like Dexter has to kill him at this point. I am curious if the tension for the last three eps will only be about Dexter outmaneuvering Travis, or if there will also be a moral conflict for Dexter as the showrunners seem to have been leading up to.

I hope it is the latter.
Old 12-04-11, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The intern is really DDK

But seriously I like this theory
Old 12-04-11, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
The intern is really DDK

But seriously I like this theory
That is really, really dumb. I definitely trust the people on this site more than that one.
Old 12-04-11, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We don't actually know Gellar is dead. I mean, he just ended up in a freezer. Were there any stab wounds or gunshots? Nope, just frost. Maybe he was sleeping. Keep in mind, this is Miami, so it gets hot there and really effects his old (living) body.

If he were actually dead, some tableau would have been constructed. I don't recall the Bible passage talking about "The Old Man in the Freezer." Did he have a page number on him?
Old 12-04-11, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
We don't actually know Gellar is dead. I mean, he just ended up in a freezer. Were there any stab wounds or gunshots? Nope, just frost. Maybe he was sleeping. Keep in mind, this is Miami, so it gets hot there and really effects his old (living) body.

If he were actually dead, some tableau would have been constructed. I don't recall the Bible passage talking about "The Old Man in the Freezer." Did he have a page number on him?
Are you insane?
Old 12-04-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds plausible to me. I think he nailed it.
Old 12-04-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Who sleeps in a freezing container with no oxygen? Seems like not a great idea.
Old 12-04-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm kinda wondering if he has split personality disorder and "becomes" Gellar if you will
I think it has been established that Travis blacks out and then becomes Gellar for when Gellar does stuff that Travis is completely unaware of. It was symbolically represented when Gellar hit Travis in the head and knocked him out with a shovel an episode back. Travis mentally imagined Gellar knocking him out when he had actually simply blacked out to become Gellar instead. The next thing that happened was Travis' sister was killed without Travis knowing about it.

And I think it's possible that in this most recent episode with Travis on the floor before jumping up to trap Dexter in the basement maybe wasn't him playing possum, but instead was him blacking out and then coming back to consciousness as Gellar.
Old 12-04-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
And I think it's possible that in this most recent episode with Travis on the floor before jumping up to trap Dexter in the basement maybe wasn't him playing possum, but instead was him blacking out and then coming back to consciousness as Gellar.
I like this. Makes more sense than thinking that Travis was just biding his time for days, or suddenly turned into an excellent actor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.