TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- "Get Gellar" -- 11/27/11

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dexter -- "Get Gellar" -- 11/27/11

Originally Posted by windom
It may be the least satisfying kill of a Dexter "big bad" when (if?) Dexter finally kills Travis. He really doesn't seem to be malicious, but I guess we haven't really seen the other side of him yet. Where does Dexter's code stand with regards to killing someone with a serious mental disorder? The best twist to the season would be if Dexter actually allowed the police to capture Travis instead of killing him.
I think that kinda happended in Season 2(i think) where Dexter took pity on a kid who had killed once or twice because he saw a little of himself in the kid, and he wanted to do for the kid what harry had done for him. I'll leave it at for the people who haven't watched the episode.
I don't know if you mean the same kind of mental disorder, but Dexter obviously knew the kid had the same thing wrong with him that he himself suffers from, and that may not apply when it comes to Travis.
Old 11-29-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ozie
I can't believe no one mentioned Fight Club yet. Gellar was dead all along and he manifested as Travis' alter ego, because Travis was too weak to make all that happen on his own. The alter ego Gellar is not like Harry or Rudy. Dexter isn't schizophrenic. Harry and Rudy represent the light and the darkness in Dexter and they are there to give the viewers a better understanding of how Dexter thinks, and since Dexter can only be truly honest with himself, he can't talk to anyone but his conscience (Harry/Rudy). If he was schizophrenic then he would not be able to act on his own will. He is aware of his actions and he doesn't blame his Harry or Rudy for what he did. There is a difference between the representation of conscience through contrasting characters, and an alternate personality.

If you have honestly predicted that Gellar was Travis' alter ego, then I feel sorry for you for not experiencing this awesome twist. Then again most of you are probably just saying that you have predicted it to sound smart. Oh and for all the cynics out there saying that the show is getting bad; you are just getting bored because you are looking for clues instead of sitting back and enjoying the show.

I think this is by far the best season especially with the Fight Club deja vu.
I would put some kind of schizophrenic tag on Dexter or at least one of the other extreme psychosis disorders. Since he feels the urge to kill, Harry was just there to teach him to satisfy that urge with killing people that he didn't feel had the right to live. I think he shows many schizophrenia tendencies, but the writers just to showcase them as much as they use to, like in the pilot of the series.
Either that explanation or you cross over into the good/evil realm where Dexter has a very dark evil presence inside him and with Harry's influence he can use that evil on the "right" people.
Old 11-29-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 890 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Masuka's intern is a definite possibility for either being connected to Travis or turning into a killer on his own.
I really hope they don't go this route.

There's already too many serial killers in Miami during the course of the series, and already too many people working for Miami Metro who are connected to killers/serial killers - this would just be too much of a coincidence again.

I thought a few episodes back that the intern is in the story to find out about Dexter because he's interested in how Dexter works and in the crimes. He may be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. He doesn't necessarily have to be in cahoots with Ryan - he just found out from Masuka that the arm was up on "ebay" and he could've found out who the buyer was and bought it off him.
Old 11-29-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Fight Club yet? I mean come on.
Old 11-29-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tyler Durden's greatest feat was driving a car with passengers in it. Gellar couldn't even do that... 12 years later.
Old 11-29-11, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

There's already too many serial killers in Miami during the course of the series, and already too many people working for Miami Metro who are connected to killers/serial killers - this would just be too much of a coincidence again.
Pshaw, this show needs MORE serial killers, not less! Each episode should feature no less than 1 new serial killer, and the finale should feature Dexter tracking down 1 serial killer a day for an entire month. Half of these serial killers would be working at Miami Metro, dating someone from Miami Metro, or are related to someone from Miami Metro.
Old 11-29-11, 11:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The only way the "reveal" could have been more like Psycho was if Gellar's mummified corpse had been sitting in a chair facing away from Dexter.
Old 11-30-11, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ozie
If you have honestly predicted that Gellar was Travis' alter ego, then I feel sorry for you for not experiencing this awesome twist. Then again most of you are probably just saying that you have predicted it to sound smart. Oh and for all the cynics out there saying that the show is getting bad; you are just getting bored because you are looking for clues instead of sitting back and enjoying the show.

I think this is by far the best season especially with the Fight Club deja vu.
Damn right! I'm tired of people acting like they called this amazing twist weeks ago.
Old 11-30-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65
What dude has a painting of woman like that on his wall?
A comic nerd. It was a cover from a comic called Kabuki.

http://images.tfaw.com/covers_tfaw/2...kiscarabhc.jpg
Old 11-30-11, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder if the intern is somehow tracking Dexter under the guise of researching for a video game (or whatever he's supposed to be doing) or knows about Dexter's connection to the ice truck killer.

Maybe he's dating Angel's sister to eventually get access to Dexter's apartment (or this will be the avenue the writers use for him to make some discovery that Dexter is more than what he seems)
Old 11-30-11, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wirefan
I wonder if the intern is somehow tracking Dexter under the guise of researching for a video game (or whatever he's supposed to be doing) or knows about Dexter's connection to the ice truck killer.

Maybe he's dating Angel's sister to eventually get access to Dexter's apartment (or this will be the avenue the writers use for him to make some discovery that Dexter is more than what he seems)
I really hope all of that is true.
Old 11-30-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Spoiler hints for next weeks episode (from someone in the "know" on IMDB):

Spoiler:
So what about Episode 10?

We’re in the home stretch fans, and the last three episodes are more crucial than ever. Will the season stumble to a all-too-coincidental illogical finish line, or will it redeem itself for the big fan-pleasing climax? While my Episode 9 issues remain, I’m happy to say that…

Episode 10 is great, gets things back on track, and is easily one of the best of the season!

The episode is all plot, and it’s definitely planting some VERY interesting seeds that will take us to the end of the season (and maybe into the next?). New unexpected plot developments arise, and by my count, there are about three cliffhangers in the episode (that DON’T involve “will Deb find out about Dexter”). For once, I looked up the “next on Dexter” preview, and was glad to see that Showtime didn’t spoil any of the good bits. There are 3 writers on this episode and it shows in the density of information.

For those who are enjoying, or on the fence about, Colin Hanks, Episode 10 is easily his best work this season. Gone is the sympathetic man-child killer, only to be replaced by the calm ice-cold psychopath who deserves to be on Dexter’s kill table. We also finally discover more details about Travis’ history and his true relationship with James Gellar.

It you don’t like Hanks, or Season 6 in general, Episode 10 probably won’t change your mind. For all others, it’s a great episode that gets back to basics. If the writers can keep the quality on the upswing, then we’re in for an interesting finish (hopefully).

As always, here’s a few fun hints n’ teases:

Travis will “fix his mistake”

Quinn’s drunkenness brings, potentially, fatal consequences.

Wormwood

Player 1: The Bay Harbor Butcher

Love and kisses, “T”

“Dexter, you MUST call the police”.

Old 11-30-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by paradicelost
I would put some kind of schizophrenic tag on Dexter or at least one of the other extreme psychosis disorders. Since he feels the urge to kill, Harry was just there to teach him to satisfy that urge with killing people that he didn't feel had the right to live. I think he shows many schizophrenia tendencies, but the writers just to showcase them as much as they use to, like in the pilot of the series.
Either that explanation or you cross over into the good/evil realm where Dexter has a very dark evil presence inside him and with Harry's influence he can use that evil on the "right" people.
I don't think Dexter qualifies and schizophrenic. He seems more like a sociopath. Well, he at least started that way. Now he cares aboiut so many people that I don't know if that even fits.
Old 11-30-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,179 Likes on 918 Posts

That could actually be a really interesting twist.
Old 11-30-11, 10:45 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually thought a similar thing, that his Dexter obsession and the Ice Truck evidence arm were tied, but the Angel's sister angle is something I didn't consider. The question would then be what his motivation is...
Old 11-30-11, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I hope they don't kill Angel's sister. At least not until we see her boobs.
Old 11-30-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Did this "Lemmy" have a difficult time using capital letters, as well?
yeS

on topic: i wish i hadnt been reading these threads because i usually dont watch dexter looking for clues. i couldnt help but think i wish i wouldnt have known about the "twist". im not sure if i would have picked up on it or not.
Old 11-30-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,782 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Here's Dexter showrunner Scott Buck talking about this episode. I think he covers pretty much everything that has been discussed here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fYHkYioEzF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-30-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Random thoughts/possibilities:

The intern is using that search engine he provided to Dexter to track his activities.
The intern will become an serial killer (if he isn't already one)
The new detective will become suspicious of Dexter
Old 11-30-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
The new detective will become suspicious of Dexter
but then he'll just be Doakes 2.0 unless there's some new angle to things.

I've been a Dexter fan since the beginning but they've really been dropping the ball this season and last. I don't know if I've ever watched a show w/ so many horrible secondary characters.

I'll see how this season ends up, but if there's no improvement I may be done
Old 11-30-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was kinda laughable when they set the musical cue, before showing the hand.

I have mixed feelings about the intern, and what they are going to do with him. So I basically will wait and watch there.
Old 11-30-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek
but then he'll just be Doakes 2.0 unless there's some new angle to things.
Or even worse, Quinn. Like they wanted Quinn to be the new Doakes, but then started reading forums and people didn't like that. So they changed their mind.
Old 11-30-11, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by paradicelost
I would put some kind of schizophrenic tag on Dexter or at least one of the other extreme psychosis disorders. Since he feels the urge to kill, Harry was just there to teach him to satisfy that urge with killing people that he didn't feel had the right to live. I think he shows many tendencies, but the writers just to showcase them as much as they use to, like in the pilot of the series.
Dexter might have some psychological disorders, but he is definitely not schizophrenic. Here is why.

Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that makes it difficult to:

Tell the difference between real and unreal experiences
Think logically
Have normal emotional responses
Behave normally in social situations "PubMed Health"

Dexter doesn't seem to be struggling with any of those issues. He is just scarred and cold-blooded. Not fitting the mainstream criteria doesn't make you mentally ill. Dexter makes very logical choices and he is not delusive about Harry or Rudy being real. Although he is a bit of a socio-path, but he manages to be liked by the people around him.

Here are my thoughts on the intern. I think this guy is a genius. Given that he is a comic book nerd, he has been a fan of "The Bay Harbor Butcher" (aka. Dexter) and he has been researching about him to find out who he really is. And the clues have led him to the Miami Metro all the way to Dexter. He has been suspecting that the Bay Harbor Butcher is Dexter so he showed him the Elliot Search Engine which he is using to track Dexter's online activity. Maybe he wants to be Dexter's sidekick.. Who knows?
Old 12-01-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would put a small amount of money on you being right. Good insight.
Old 12-01-11, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Good call on the intern. I can see his story going in that direction.

I also wonder if Dexter won't find himself in a position where he has to "out" himself to Deborah in order to save her. Her sessions with the psychiatrist - not to mention her finding the pen - are inching her really close to putting some things together about Dexter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.