Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Official Storage Wars Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Re: Official Storage Wars Discussion

there is absolutely no way they get $25k an episode. there are actors on broadcast television shows that don't even earn $25k an episode.
Old 07-18-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
I've always wondered why Jarrod and Brandi don't make a deal with Barry to buy his leftovers, at a much discounted price of course. He seems to like them and that would be a win-win for both and they don't even need to show it on TV.
How do you know that's not already happening?
Old 07-18-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I was about to post the same thing, but then I remember that Barry treats everything in the locker like it's unbreakable. I suspect NO ONE buys that stuff from Barry.
Old 07-18-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I was about to post the same thing, but then I remember that Barry treats everything in the locker like it's unbreakable. I suspect NO ONE buys that stuff from Barry.
Who says they're paying for it?
Old 07-18-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

A lot of it is garbage. They talk about sending stuff to the dump all the time. Hell, the staff of Now and Then were talking about taking stuff to the dump when I was there.
Old 07-19-12, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They've showed in various episodes at some point, Barry will sell something to the rest of them.

I just read an interview with Hester where he of course states that while he hates Brandi, Jarrod, and Darrel because in the end, they're all competition, he actually likes Barry and treats him differently because he's in it for a whole other reason.
Old 07-19-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

True. There was an episode where Dave said in a cut scene "I honestly don't remember what these auctions were like before Barry Weiss." Or something to that effect.

btw, interesting interview with Hester. He has a DUI, which led to this line of work.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250669.html

Hester attended his first swap meet with his dad in 1969, and got a taste of the business by selling off his father's train collection piece by piece over five years. But a light bulb went off in 2005, when he was sentenced to 30 days community service at a Goodwill Store following a DUI conviction. The experience convinced Hester to convert his furniture store into a thrift operation, which now operates as Dave Hester Auctions.

Last edited by Traxan; 07-19-12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
there is absolutely no way they get $25k an episode. there are actors on broadcast television shows that don't even earn $25k an episode.
Well, I'm sure they got some kind of raise before this season, and remember, in the case of Darrell and Jarrod, 2 people are getting paid. Also, both Darrell/Brandon and Jarrod/Brandi have been showing up in increasingly fancy vehicles. If I'm not mistaken, Darrell was in a Hummer H2 this last episode, as he would say, that's a $50,000 bill. While I'm sure he does well at the flea market, I don't think it's that well. And I'm pretty sure I saw Jarrod and Brandi in a new ride a few episodes back.
Old 07-19-12, 05:51 PM

I love when they do the "talk" segment saying that they're bringing what they found to a friend that is an expert on the item and then they walk into the store and ask "hi are you ...?".

What a great friend they are that they're forgotten so easily.
Old 07-19-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's so corny, but it's part of the charm of the show. Sort of like how nearly EVERY locker has something that needs to be taken to one of these "friends".
Old 07-19-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anybody know whats up with Dave's business? I keep hearing that he's filed for bankruptcy and that he's broke. That'll explain alot of what they've been doing with the show's structure.
Old 07-19-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Anybody know whats up with Dave's business? I keep hearing that he's filed for bankruptcy and that he's broke. That'll explain alot of what they've been doing with the show's structure.
I read somewhere this was the case now and Dave Hester Auctions was going belly-up, but it's like all of his other business. The guy has no idea how to run one. He just looks like even more of a jackass given this is his third company to close up shop (who converts a thrift store to an auction house?).

He dropped the lawsuit against the Yuuupp! thing, but he may need to attempt to sue again just to get some money in his pocket.
Old 07-20-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I don't know what's up with his auction house but he's got a Dave Hester Entertainment web site up now. Maybe rather than selling "things" he's hoping it's more lucrative to sell himself. You can book him for Signings, Corporate Events, Speaking Engagements, Charity & Fundraising Events (also as an auctioneer), Promotional Events, Product / Brand Endorsement!

Better get in line! Somebody please find out how much he's charging!!!
Old 07-20-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you guys seen Baggage Battles? The couple on that show (from Off the Wall, I think?) that the sellers on here take there stuff to as the experts themselves take their stuff to other experts, so they're not that experty.
Old 07-21-12, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan
True. There was an episode where Dave said in a cut scene "I honestly don't remember what these auctions were like before Barry Weiss." Or something to that effect.

btw, interesting interview with Hester. He has a DUI, which led to this line of work.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250669.html

Hester attended his first swap meet with his dad in 1969, and got a taste of the business by selling off his father's train collection piece by piece over five years. But a light bulb went off in 2005, when he was sentenced to 30 days community service at a Goodwill Store following a DUI conviction. The experience convinced Hester to convert his furniture store into a thrift operation, which now operates as Dave Hester Auctions.
Yeah Dave alluded to that in the episode he bought the trash bag full of clothes for $50 and in the end donated all of it to Goodwill for karma points.

I'm almost afraid to ask what he did with the puppies!
Old 07-21-12, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Have you guys seen Baggage Battles? The couple on that show (from Off the Wall, I think?) that the sellers on here take there stuff to as the experts themselves take their stuff to other experts, so they're not that experty.
I know. And then when they show up on Storage Wars or have any of the other experts who are usually on SW show up on Baggage Battles I go "CROSSOVER!"
Old 07-21-12, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
Well, I'm sure they got some kind of raise before this season, and remember, in the case of Darrell and Jarrod, 2 people are getting paid. Also, both Darrell/Brandon and Jarrod/Brandi have been showing up in increasingly fancy vehicles. If I'm not mistaken, Darrell was in a Hummer H2 this last episode, as he would say, that's a $50,000 bill. While I'm sure he does well at the flea market, I don't think it's that well. And I'm pretty sure I saw Jarrod and Brandi in a new ride a few episodes back.
People tend to forget they're working far more auctions then just the ones seen on television. There's no reason to think outside of what the cameras show they really are making enough money to get all these things.
Old 07-22-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone noticed that when someone makes a sexual innuendo, they play a musical sound effect? Usually a bass guitar. You could hear it when Barry made the pitching a tent joke and Brandy made the pulling out joke.
Old 07-23-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan
Has anyone noticed that when someone makes a sexual innuendo, they play a musical sound effect? Usually a bass guitar. You could hear it when Barry made the pitching a tent joke and Brandy made the pulling out joke.
Pretty sure they've been doing that since day one since Barry is always making bad sexual puns.
Old 07-23-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty sure they've been doing that since day one since Barry is always making bad sexual puns.
Brandi is no prude, either. Works for me, I'd like to hear her talk dirty.

Was it ever verified that she was a stripper before getting into the second hand store business?
Old 07-23-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is fitting for the show because storage lockers are just like vaginas
Old 07-23-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spot the bitch.

Old 07-24-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok they're still alive.
Old 07-24-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, and it's done even more so on Storage Wars Texas (which returns soon). Almost every episode, if not every one, there are multiple gay puns by Moe.

A few episodes back Jarred made a comment to Brandi while driving that could be interpreted that she used to be a stripper, since that is the rumor. She said something to him about an item or locker how while it may look dirty and trashy when you first meet it, sometimes you can clean it up good and in the end it shines. He then said back to her something like "yeah, pretty much how I found you in the first time to now".
Old 07-26-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

i hope, hope, hope that bet was real. was fucking awesome seeing dave shown as a pompous ass who knows absolutely nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.