Old 11-13-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Homeland -- "The Weekend" -- 11/13/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-11-06

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Carrie and Brody spend a weekend in the countryside, which ends up complicating their relationship further. Elsewhere, Jessica and Mike catch flak about the truth behind their relationship, while Saul catches Aileen hightailing it to Mexico.

Episode 7 of 12

Preview:

<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1256828785001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1256828785001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 11-13-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Homeland -- "The Weekend" -- 11/13/11

can't wait. best new show of the year.
Old 11-13-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

WTF route is he taking from Texas to Virginia? He should have hopped on I40 at least at Memphis and not go 60 miles north on a tiny ass highway. Seems it would be more secure on major interstate, not to mention faster.
Old 11-13-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Love this show. This episode blew me away.

Spoiler:
I can't imagine anyone saw that coming and if you did - hats off.
Old 11-14-11, 12:25 AM

I sure didn't!! Great twist! Damian Lewis should get an Emmy for this episode. The "interrogation" scene with Carrie was fantastic. Seems pretty clear who and what the threat is now, but you sure can't tell with this show. Hopefully they can keep the suspense going.

Cusm: My old guess would be so that he could stop by that place in Indiana?
Old 11-14-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I loved it. Great twist that I didn't see coming at all.

Really loved how they explained away all of Brody's questionable actions and really went in depth about what happened to him while he was a prisioner. The "interrogation" scene was great. As was the interrogation of the white chick.

The twist was great but it does lead to more questions with Brody. Did he know that Walker was still alive? Is the reason Walker turned because of what Brody did to him?
Old 11-14-11, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Fricking awesome episode. Loved the twist at the end.

I did not see that coming at all that Walker is actually the turned POW.

That interrogation scene between Brody and Carrie was probably one of the best directed/written scenes so far this season. They were so good playing off each other.

I thought it was funny that both this and Dexter had road trip themed episodes tonight.

Watched 5 shows in a row off the DVR tonight including this. This was the last one I watched and was a great way to wrap up my evening.

Mildly surprised to see this episode was written by Meredith Stiem, the creator of Cold Case.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-14-11 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-14-11, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The twist was great but it does lead to more questions with Brody. Did he know that Walker was still alive? Is the reason Walker turned because of what Brody did to him?
That's a very legitimate question. Brody beat him to a pulp, but I don't think he ever saw Tom's body buried judging by the flashback of the sequence from earlier this season.

As far as Tom turning. I can see it being influenced by some anger/resentment towards the government for forgetting about him as a POW.
Old 11-14-11, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The confused bunny look that Claire Danes gave Brody a couple of times when she was interrogating him should earn her the emmy.

D
Old 11-14-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
Cusm: My old guess would be so that he could stop by that place in Indiana?

Yeah I posted while I was watching, which I never do, or I would have seen the answer to my own question. I have made Ok-VA trip by car about 4 times is the only way I knew that the town they stopped in was out of the normal route.
Old 11-14-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

One small thing that bugged me....can you really get a cut that requires 19 stitches by falling through safety glass? Isn't that the whole point of it breaking into tiny squares instead of shards?
Old 11-14-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's a very legitimate question. Brody beat him to a pulp, but I don't think he ever saw Tom's body buried judging by the flashback of the sequence from earlier this season.
I can't remember seeing Tom's dead body either but I do remember a scene where Brody was digging Tom's grave. Maybe I'm mistaken, it was early on when we were getting a constant wave of flashbacks.
Old 11-14-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Someone still got the razor blade into the safe house...
Old 11-14-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Someone still got the razor blade into the safe house...
I thought it was the black dude who's with the CIA (I thought Carrie reported to him, not Saul).
Old 11-14-11, 02:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Remember how we all used to joke how easily things would have been resolved on Lost if the characters just sat down together and compared notes? This episode contained that conversation, and still managed to keep things moving and tense.

Old 11-14-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forget "one of the best shows of the year", this is one of the best shows ever. And this episode was one of the best hours of television ever. I fully expect Homeland to sweep the drama awards at the Emmys this year.
Old 11-14-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flave
Forget "one of the best shows of the year", this is one of the best shows ever. And this episode was one of the best hours of television ever. I fully expect Homeland to sweep the drama awards at the Emmys this year.
Again, the Emmys aren't on until next September, so we really have a very long wait for that.

I'm hoping the Globes, in January, will be where we see this show start getting awards. Personally, I'm just more and more impressed with Danes. I'm not surprised by anyone else and, while she's a great actress, I didn't think she would be this strong playing a character I just never imagined her playing, but she's been PERFECT.

I do wonder if the foreign press will punish this show because they don't like our country's foreign policy. It would suck if political correctness gets in the way of this show sweeping the actor, actress and show awards, because I think it's in a class of its own right now.
Old 11-14-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I can't think of an hour show that keeps you riveted all hour like Homeland does.
Old 11-15-11, 02:47 AM

This show, and to a lesser extent Dexter, are the only two shows I can't wait to watch every week. If they have to sit on my DVR, it's never for very long. So glad I re-subbed to Showtime for Dexter, and decided to watch this too. They figured out how to do tension the right way.
Old 11-15-11, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I was completely blown away by the amount of info Brody dished out at the table with Carrie. I thought for sure that "is he or isn't he" would go on for much longer.
Awesome show!
Old 11-15-11, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
One small thing that bugged me....can you really get a cut that requires 19 stitches by falling through safety glass? Isn't that the whole point of it breaking into tiny squares instead of shards?
That whole scene struck me as a little after school special-ish.
Old 11-15-11, 12:23 PM

Did anyone else think that Carrie's "cover" for her slip-up revealing that she knew what tea Brody drank was a bit sloppy? Might have worked better to say that it was the tea she liked too, or something.

While it doesn't appear that Brody is involved with any terrorism anymore, I don't think that possibility has been totally excluded either. He's already shown that he can be deceptive, and by giving Carrie a lot of truth during their conversation, he could be concealing that he actually is involved. He may know very well that Walker is alive and what his plan is. Not saying that I think this is actually the case, but this show is very careful to reveal nothing and be ambiguous about things, so it's sure not impossible.
Old 11-15-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bdshort
Did anyone else think that Carrie's "cover" for her slip-up revealing that she knew what tea Brody drank was a bit sloppy? Might have worked better to say that it was the tea she liked too, or something.
I do. That whole thing struck me as an all too convenient way for Carrie to be revealed to Brody. When she went into the house to get the gun ready is when we knew that Carrie was aware of everything and wasn't just drunk and didn't just get swept away in the heat of the moment. So for her to slip up like that was odd. And the cover up was poorly played too... she couldn't just say "you told me yesterday while we were drunk."?
Old 11-15-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, letting the tea thing slip was pure drama convention, and not at all something that would ever happen with someone like Carrie in the "real world". Most shows I wouldn't mind, but it's kinda lazy for what this show has shown it's capable of. Also, his conversion to Islam is pretty weak - they obviously did that to shock us into thinking something's wrong, when the actual explanation is just pure lazy writing.

Otherwise, great episode.
Old 11-15-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, letting the tea thing slip was pure drama convention, and not at all something that would ever happen with someone like Carrie in the "real world". Most shows I wouldn't mind, but it's kinda lazy for what this show has shown it's capable of. Also, his conversion to Islam is pretty weak - they obviously did that to shock us into thinking something's wrong, when the actual explanation is just pure lazy writing.

Otherwise, great episode.
I sort of agree with you on the Carrie thing, except I think she just started to let her guard down a bit and slipped. The crappy cover was most likely because of the shock of him calling her out on her slip up. I know it took me aback.

But the thing I don't agree with you on is the explanation of his conversion to Islam. I actually thought it made a lot of sense, especially if he wasn't very religious before being taken captive. He needed something to turn to get through the ordeal, and that's what was there. A lot of people turn to God in times of adversity, and like he said, there wasn't a Christian Bible sitting around his cell. If he actually studied Islam, which I guess we are being led to believe he did during his time held captive, he would learn it's nothing like what the terrorists preach. Plus, I could see the routine of prayer being a comfort to him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.