Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Lotto" -- 10/06/11

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Lotto" -- 10/06/11

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Oh my freaking god, stop trying to make sense of the plot. It's a god damn sitcom. Every other episode we'll have people over analyzing the plot to death. Laugh if it's funny, move on if it's not. It doesn't need to make sense, that's part of the fun.
I barely got around to watching this ep this morning. With the help of the lowered expectations from this thread, I didn't find it that bad. Got a couple chuckles here and there.

Expectations are still way too high for this long running series.
Old 10-08-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't watch any episodes last year and haven't watched any this year. I did happen to catch this one, but I really have no clue (and have no interest in) what's going on.

So has Jim become a complete moron too? I watched The Office in the past and obviously Michael was a moron and so was Dwight. Kevin was an idiot too. I single those 3 out because their antics were always the most unrealistic and idiotic. Jim, although a prankster, was never shown to be a complete bumbling fool. He would get roped into some of Michael's and Dwight's stupid stuff, but he at least acted like a normal human being the majority of the time and used his brain. Now, I turn this episode on and see him in the warehouse and he seemingly has an IQ of about 6. Everybody else down there was a moron--Dwight, Kevin and Erin, but Jim REALLY couldn't figure out how to move those boxes? Come on.

This show is such a joke. You can't have EVERY character be a complete moron. Even Oscar is an idiot now. At least now I know it still sucks and I can go back to ignoring it.
Old 10-08-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I didn't watch any episodes last year and haven't watched any this year. I did happen to catch this one, but I really have no clue (and have no interest in) what's going on.

So has Jim become a complete moron too? I watched The Office in the past and obviously Michael was a moron and so was Dwight. Kevin was an idiot too. I single those 3 out because their antics were always the most unrealistic and idiotic. Jim, although a prankster, was never shown to be a complete bumbling fool. He would get roped into some of Michael's and Dwight's stupid stuff, but he at least acted like a normal human being the majority of the time and used his brain. Now, I turn this episode on and see him in the warehouse and he seemingly has an IQ of about 6. Everybody else down there was a moron--Dwight, Kevin and Erin, but Jim REALLY couldn't figure out how to move those boxes? Come on.

This show is such a joke. You can't have EVERY character be a complete moron. Even Oscar is an idiot now. At least now I know it still sucks and I can go back to ignoring it.
The previous two episodes were great.

Jim isn't a moron, but he's shown lapses in previous episodes. You can take the smartest guy and put him in a new work location and he'd have no idea what to do, so him not seeing the pallette jack and trying to move the boxes manually with Dwight wasn't that big of a stretch to me.
Old 10-08-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The previous two episodes were great.

Jim isn't a moron, but he's shown lapses in previous episodes. You can take the smartest guy and put him in a new work location and he'd have no idea what to do, so him not seeing the pallette jack and trying to move the boxes manually with Dwight wasn't that big of a stretch to me.
I get the fish out of water thing. I wouldn't know what to do in the warehouse either. I sure wouldn't have allowed 2 idiots to grease up the floor and try to slide the boxes into a truck though. He was the manager or a while and was always shown to have common sense even if he did lack judgement from time time. He screwed up every now and then but never did anything as stupid as that.

I know it's pointless to nit pick plot points fo a show like the The Office but I just don't like it when characters completely change and start doing stupid things completely out of the blue.
Old 10-09-11, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I get the fish out of water thing. I wouldn't know what to do in the warehouse either. I sure wouldn't have allowed 2 idiots to grease up the floor and try to slide the boxes into a truck though. He was the manager or a while and was always shown to have common sense even if he did lack judgement from time time. He screwed up every now and then but never did anything as stupid as that.

I know it's pointless to nit pick plot points fo a show like the The Office but I just don't like it when characters completely change and start doing stupid things completely out of the blue.
But he didn't really "let" them right? He and Dwight left, and when they came back Erin and Kevin already started doing it. They were the ones that thought the idea was stupid to begin with, but once it was there they just started having fun with it which is up Jim's alley.
Old 10-09-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Plus Jim was embarrassed to talk about it after the fact.
Old 10-09-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jim's allowed himself, against his better judgement, to get caught up in the other's stupidity before. "Branch Wars" in S4 was a good example of this, where he gets caught up in Michael and Dwight's attempt to sabotage Dunder-Mifflin Utica.

Wasn't the warehouse crew quitting for what ends up being such a relatively small amount of money the joke? They'll be back once all their ridiculous ventures fail.

So DeAngelo's brain dead? Jesus.
Old 10-09-11, 10:51 PM

Thought it was pretty weak by Office standards. Just not enough laughs. The plot was kind of unrealistic/too goofy plus some people seemed to be acting out of character, especially Oscar. Normally I wouldn't nitpick these things but when you're not laughing they stand out.

I agree with others that the episode felt too serious, though I liked Andy setting Daryll straight at the end. I'm glad the first two episodes were good, hopefully it will be back to normal next week.
Old 10-10-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Oh my freaking god, stop trying to make sense of the plot. It's a god damn sitcom. Every other episode we'll have people over analyzing the plot to death. Laugh if it's funny, move on if it's not. It doesn't need to make sense, that's part of the fun.
Using your logic, a show about a unicorn that solves crimes in Las Vegas with a magic flute would be fantastic.

But seriously, you're right. It just wasn't funny.
Old 10-10-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That was pretty awesome...until Jim went down to help out anyway. One, it defeated the point of tricking Dwight. Second, Dwight is dimwitted from time to time, but Jim not knowing to look for a palette jack? Come on, he's not that dumb.
I took it more that Jim was planning to go help and knew they needed more hands so he tricked Dwight into helping.

There were a couple of moments, but this was definitely the weakest episode of the season.
Old 10-10-11, 11:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Using your logic, a show about a unicorn that solves crimes in Las Vegas with a magic flute would be fantastic.
I would watch that show. Especially if it were on premium cable (better chance of nudity!)
Old 10-10-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I would watch that show. Especially if it were on premium cable (better chance of nudity!)
Let's me and you come up with a pitch Groucho! If HBO doesn't pick it up, maybe we could really sex it up and sell it to Cinemax to air after Chemistry!