Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Horror Story -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/2011 (10PM FX)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/2011 (10PM FX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: American Horror Story -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/2011 (10PM FX)

They also used the Insidious score during the basement scene.
Old 10-06-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Look...you got McDermott jerking off while crying, I really don't even understand what more you could possibly ask for.
That was pretty funny. Just wish they showed more skin for the young maid. I mean, we saw him pretty much nude, why not a female?
Old 10-06-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I mean, we saw him pretty much nude, why not a female?
Like that hot daughter! AWWW YEAH!

(The mongoloid one obviously.)
Old 10-06-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
That was pretty funny. Just wish they showed more skin for the young maid. I mean, we saw him pretty much nude, why not a female?
Because Ryan Murphy only gets off on man ass. Nothing wrong that, you just need to go to HBO and Showtime for the naked ladies

I loved this. Awesome and weird at the same time.
Old 10-06-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Intriguing but disjointed as all hell. I don't know why I had been anticipating a slow build of sorts, but this was the antithesis of that expectation. I'm genuinely puzzled as to why they felt the need to cram so much in to the pilot. Too much happened much too fast. There were some interesting ideas presented here, but they should've been spun out over time, not thrown in kitchen-sink style.

I also didn't find it particularly creepy, but enjoyed the bizarreness of it and feel it has potential if/when it manages to find its legs. That will have me continuing to view it for the moment.

I was impressed with Connie Britton and Jessica Lange. That made up for a lot of my displeasure. Less so with McDermott.

Tami Taylor and the GIMP.

Good lord, does Alexandra Breckenridge look fantastic as a ginger.
Old 10-06-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched this and I have to agree, it was interesting but just was all over the place. I'll give it a few episodes though to see how it develops.
Old 10-06-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Joining the consensus, it was interesting but it was all over the place. I'll give it a few more episodes to see how it progresses.
Old 10-06-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In regards to the "all over the place" comments...I guess I thought part of the point was to put the viewer into a manic state at various times. I think it's supposed to be all over the place.
Old 10-06-11, 08:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, this was a total piece of shit. Horrible writing. So many cringe-worthy lines from just about everyone. Didn't help that everyone except Connie Britton and the daughter were horribly overacting. And the whole thing was so in your face, and not in a good way. In my opinion, a good horror story starts off normally and then slowly ramps up as the story goes on. The Shining or the Japanese Ring are great examples of this. This show was all about music stings and stupid jump scares. It played its hand far too many times way too early.

I loved the first season of Nip/Tuck but the show went off the rails pretty quickly after that. I was hoping for more of the former and less of the latter, but at this point I don't think Ryan Murphy is capable of producing good TV anymore.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-06-11 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed it but, yes, it was a mess and all over the place. I'm going to believe that they crammed so much in to get everyone's attention and hope they scale back in subsequent episodes.
Old 10-06-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sort of what I expected. The craziness weirdness of Nip/Tuck + horror elements. But man oh man, nothing like it on TV right now.

At least LOST has trained us to go into shows like this not expecting all the answers to ever be spelled out for us. I don't expect to get a reasonable explanation for anything that's going on in this show, but I sure will enjoy the ride.
Old 10-06-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,681 Likes on 2,648 Posts

That was fucking weird as hell, but I loved it. I know it's gotten mixed reviews, but I liked how different it was compared to most 1 hour dramas. I was like a mix of The Amityville Horror, The Outer Limits and a Marilyn Manson music video.

Ben masturbating while crying had me rolling.

I loved the dialogue in Ben and Vivien's fight. Without using the F bomb, they managed to cram in alot of cursing. I'm intrigued about Ben's psycho patient who was hanging out with his daughter. The sequence in the basement with pretty insane.

I also liked Jessica Lange as the weird neighbor.

I'm in for the next 12 weeks. I'd like to see what they do with this week to week.
Old 10-06-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That was fucking weird as hell, but I loved it. It was like a mix of The Amityville Horror, The Outer Limits and a Marilyn Manson music video.
This
Old 10-06-11, 10:34 PM

I was nervous about giving this show a chance, because I do not like McDermott at all and The Killing so scarred me that I am having trouble giving any new show a chance.

However, I really thought that this was just fantastic fun to watch. I am definitely down for the rest of the season. I am excited for more. We're all doomed.

I still think McDermott is boring as paper, but with everything else going on, he didn't get the chance to put me to sleep.

I hate trees!
Old 10-06-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed it. It does seem hard to imagine sustaining this for multiple seasons but I'll give them the chance to try. In response to the early criticisms the network has said
Spoiler:
the common sense questions like why don't they just leave will be addressed by the fourth episode.
Old 10-06-11, 11:29 PM

I enjoyed the weirdness but didn't exactly love or hate it. Dylan's acting is OK but more nude man scenes will bring me back to see more. I'm sure they'll have plenty of nude women too.The wife I liked until the emotional fight and love/hate sex. I just wasn't buying her acting out the pain of losing the baby for some reason. The rest of the time I thought she was terrific.
I'm hoping it isn't some Shining type of rip where most everyone they've met are ghosts. I'll def. be watching some more though.
Old 10-07-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 823 Likes on 695 Posts

I enjoyed the pilot as a horror piece, though I despise both Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton as the leads. The show is clearly a modern take on the Amityville Horror, mixed in with some weirdness out of Twin Peaks. Subject matter and language was about as risqué as anything I have seen from non-premium cable.

I think the show has been purposely designed from the start so that the new residents who move in are replaceable each season, with the ghosts and demons in the house being the recurring roles. That would indicate to me most of the family does not survive very long.
Old 10-07-11, 04:17 AM

During the scene with the teenager in the psychiatrist's office, I felt like so much of his dialogue was unnatural. I asked out loud, "Have any of these writers ever met a teenager?"

The show was so disjointed that my wife's response was: "Have any of these writers met the other writers?"

I like all of the actors in the core family: Britton, McDermott, and Farmiga. I wanted to like the show, but it never seemed to come together for me. I'll probably stick with it for a little while to see where it goes.
Old 10-07-11, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by celmendo
I'm hoping it isn't some Shining type of rip where most everyone they've met are ghosts. I'll def. be watching some more though.
I'm almost sure this is how it will turn out. Of everyone we met so far, the only ones alive are the family, the realtor, and the coke-head girl (and other school kids). Maid, neighbors (mom and daughter), burnt guy, rubber suit guy, and patient/boyfriend are almost definitely ghosts. And of course she's pregnant with rubber suit guy's kid...not the husband.

Great friggin show so far. I can't wait to see where it goes. I wonder how long it will be until the daughter is dead but the family doesn't realize it. Or is she already from the "suicide" scene? (probably not though). Yes it was kind of all over the place, but I thought it was easy enough to follow. And while I don't have a problem with it, I do hope the man-ass gets balanced out by a little female flesh at some point though...

I also like the idea of the family all being killed off and a new family moving in every season or so. Normal family one season gets to be F'd up ghosts next season could be cool
Old 10-07-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I liked this show -- more than anything the big networks have rolled out so far. It'll give a season pass from me although when things got slow, they got real sloooow. I take it that the boyfriend of the daughter is a demon?
Old 10-07-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

The maid (young version) was HOT!!
Old 10-07-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 917 Likes on 650 Posts

Strange but interesting. Not sure what to make of it yet. I loved the title sequence though.

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
I'm almost sure this is how it will turn out. Of everyone we met so far, the only ones alive are the family, the realtor, and the coke-head girl (and other school kids). Maid, neighbors (mom and daughter), burnt guy, rubber suit guy, and patient/boyfriend are almost definitely ghosts. And of course she's pregnant with rubber suit guy's kid...not the husband.
That's what I walked away with as well.
Old 10-07-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting to read all the comments here. And I agree with everyone, LOL. Even the ones that are against the show.

I don't think the neighbors are dead, neither the burnt guy or the patient/boyfriend. Actually he was really surprised when the daughter told him to leave, really mad at him. Like didn't saw, or wasn't able to see, all that happened there.

I may try to watch again this weekend.
Old 10-07-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Loved the show. Liked the maid. (The young version.) The creepiness was awesome.

Loved the scene where the wife wants to hire the maid and the husband is looking at the garters and then back at the wife.

Last edited by CRM114; 10-07-11 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-07-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think the show has been purposely designed from the start so that the new residents who move in are replaceable each season, with the ghosts and demons in the house being the recurring roles. That would indicate to me most of the family does not survive very long.
THIS is what I am hoping for.

Originally Posted by Raul3
Interesting to read all the comments here. And I agree with everyone, LOL. Even the ones that are against the show.

I don't think the neighbors are dead, neither the burnt guy or the patient/boyfriend. Actually he was really surprised when the daughter told him to leave, really mad at him. Like didn't saw, or wasn't able to see, all that happened there.

I may try to watch again this weekend.

Yeah, seems to me that the Jessica Lange character is some sort of evil puppet master orchestrating everything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.