Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Supernatural --2 Hour Season Finale-- "Let it Bleed/Man Who Knew Too Much" -- 5/20/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Did you enjoy the 6th season of Supernatural?
Loved it! Bring on season 7
27.78%
It was good, not great.
36.11%
It was watchable, but very inconsistent
25.00%
Out of the entire season, I only enjoyed a handful of episodes
0%
Thought it sucked. They should have ended it after season 5
8.33%
Didn't watch season 6. Season 5 ended the show perfectly for me
2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Supernatural --2 Hour Season Finale-- "Let it Bleed/Man Who Knew Too Much" -- 5/20/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: Supernatural --2 Hour Season Finale-- "Let it Bleed/Man Who Knew Too Much" -- 5/2

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm surprised that so many people like season one so much. It felt like someone took all the standalone episodes of the X-Files but without the chemistry of Mulder and Scully to keep things interesting.
Season one is what made me ditch the show....the joke was on me though when I caught season 5....got a lot of viewing to catch up on.
Old 05-27-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Re: Supernatural --2 Hour Season Finale-- "Let it Bleed/Man Who Knew Too Much" -- 5/2

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I don't think he was, I think he was just a prophet, there was really no evidence in the season that he was actually God.
I thought it was pretty obvious when he disappeared into thin air, and being dressed all in white. Also, he shared a name with a writer on the show, and the writer is the "God" of a series. I thought there were other clues, but maybe I'm overreaching.
Old 05-27-11, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone that said Chuck was God, and I would love for him to be back next season.

As far as Season 6. I voted that it was watchable but very inconsistent. I LOVE the show and I am grateful that it is still on. Every year that it gets renewed I am amazed, since every show I watch gets canceled it seems.

I feel the same way about season 6 of Supernatural that I did about Season 6 of Buffy. Both shows could have wrapped there stories up perfectly with Season 5 finales. So after you blow your wad so to speak, where do you go from there?

I did very much miss the rock music. It was sorely missing this season in most of the episodes. If they had chose not to have the "Wayward Son" montage at the beginning of the finale (which I was afraid they were going to do), Ms. Gamble would have received some fanboy complaints from me...
Old 05-27-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Season 1 is still my favorite. With so much serialized stuff these days, I liked that it was a show without much of an ongoing story. I also liked that we saw a lot more variety back then on bad guys. Since season 1, it's been demons, demons, demons, angels, demons, angels, angels with something a little different thrown in from time to time. I really enjoyed how they tackled more myths and urban legends back in season 1.

It's still a great show. I just liked season 1 the best.
I agree with this. I am in this for the chemistry and likeability of the actors. I prefer the episodes that are more standalone with a hint of an ongoing overall background plot. I also prefer when humor is injected into the episodes rather than the heavy emotional plot drama stuff.

Still love the show, but if I didnt love Season 1 so much and like THOSE characters and universe they created, I not sure I would be watching still.

I also feel Season 1 of Angel is the best. It is actually my favorite season of any show ever.
Old 05-27-11, 03:34 PM

I don't think he was, I think he was just a prophet, there was really no evidence in the season that he was actually God.
Rob Benedict confirmed it at a couple of recent Supernatural cons..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDo4yIJ4gSg
Old 05-27-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm surprised that so many people like season one so much. It felt like someone took all the standalone episodes of the X-Files but without the chemistry of Mulder and Scully to keep things interesting.
Well, first of all, they do have several X-Files people working on the show.

Second, I very, very, very much prefer the standalone X-Files episodes over the mythology episodes.

Finally, I've always found Sam & Dean plenty interesting. Well, Dean anyway. Sam's a whiny little bitch. Now neither of them are anywhere near as easy on the eyes as Scully, but that's an entirely different topic.
Old 05-27-11, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I know several X-Files people work on the show, but not Chris Carter or the Morgan brothers, who wrote most of the best standalone episodes of that series, imo. I guess I should have said season one felt mainly like forgettable X-Files standalone episodes. I think even we can agree there's nothing in season one that reaches the levels of "Jose Chung's From Outer Space," let alone some of the lesser standalone X-Files episodes.
Old 05-28-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone find it funny that we are arguing about whether someone was God or a prophet?
This could last 2000 years...
Old 06-01-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I liked it. I am curious to see what happens to Cas. I was thinking more along the lines that god shows up to smite him for trying to take his (god's) place. But leading him towards being the new devil is something I never considered. That could be interesting too.

Too bad Raphael turned out to be such a puss. I hate when they go with "the big moment happens off-screen", but they had a lot to wrap up, I suppose. Didn't really care for the way Sam's stuff was handled either. Agree that it was a bit too much build up for such a weak payoff, though he may not be fully "cured" yet. He still seemed kind of messed up at the end there.

Anyway, not my favorite season, but I'm still digging the show. Will be interested to see what happens next. I hope god/Chuck shows up again.
Old 06-01-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The season definitely lacked some focus, but I thought it had several excellent episodes. I did like the summary in the beginning of the season finale, which helped tie it all together a bit.

Eve was a bit of a waste. That didn't really seem to go anywhere.

Ehh, so what was the deal with their grandfather being back? Did Castiel do that? They never really mentioned it in the finale.
Old 06-01-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chuck being God makes God seem like a real manipulative prick and sort of negates most of the reasons for the story, essentially all the characters are toy soldiers in a sandbox.
Old 06-01-11, 02:45 PM

Chuck being God makes God seem like a real manipulative prick and sort of negates most of the reasons for the story, essentially all the characters are toy soldiers in a sandbox.
I honestly think it was a wink and nod to the fans.. that is all. God wanted to live among his creation. See what it was like to be human. I didn't have a problem with it then and still dont . I think the fact that the actors dont know until they get the script with the reveal may have an impact on how the fans react to a given "surprise". Look at Richard Speight Jr.'s trickster. His character went from a lower level "god like" entity to an Archangel. Richard has said the same thing. He had no clue that he was Gabriel until he got the script.

Maybe Chuck was not originally planned to be god but the fans reacted well to him so Erik brought him back but decided to throw a huge twist in there. Maybe as a little wink maybe not.

That said. I'm caught up now. I'm glad I was spoiled before watching the last few episodes. I can see why Cas did what he did. I certainly wouldn't want Raphael to have won. The fact that he/she would have done the same thing is huge to me. Cas would be the lesser of the two evil's. Yes Cas will let the power go to his head. Yes he will continue to do things that will put him on the wrong side of the line where Sam and Dean are concerned but I think there will be a happy ending.

At least I hope so.

Last edited by draven31; 06-01-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I felt like the final few episodes of the season really made Dean out to be a whine-y stubborn idiot. Cas was right all along, had a logical, justifiable plan and if he wasn't "betrayed" by his friends it's likely the power wouldn't have gone to his head.
Old 06-02-11, 02:16 PM

I felt like the final few episodes of the season really made Dean out to be a whine-y stubborn idiot. Cas was right all along, had a logical, justifiable plan and if he wasn't "betrayed" by his friends it's likely the power wouldn't have gone to his head.

I really wish Dean wouldn't have acted like that. I will say this for him, he was that last to turn on him. He should have just said it was because of working with Crowley and not because of Cas's plan.

I do hope the make Dean a little less judgmental next season.
Old 06-04-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched the last 6 eps of the season, and while I found the season as a whole to be lackluster, I think they pulled out a nice string of episodes out at the end to get me excited for next season.

I have to say I was really frustrated at how Sam and Dean wouldn't ride for Cas. They constantly break the rules, and just earlier this season were working with Crowley, yet when Cas wants to it's all of the sudden the worst thing ever? I was rooting for Cas, honestly. Cas' plan wasn't that crazy to me, and certainly no crazier than when either Sam or Dean wanted to risk the entirety of civilization just to protect each other -- like they were known to do time after time after time.
Old 06-04-11, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I have to say I was really frustrated at how Sam and Dean wouldn't ride for Cas. They constantly break the rules, and just earlier this season were working with Crowley, yet when Cas wants to it's all of the sudden the worst thing ever? I was rooting for Cas, honestly. Cas' plan wasn't that crazy to me, and certainly no crazier than when either Sam or Dean wanted to risk the entirety of civilization just to protect each other -- like they were known to do time after time after time.
I agree with all of that.

on a side note. Jenson is now the only one of the main cast with no twitter. Jared signed up today. He even was a trending topic for awhile.
Old 07-21-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

So judging by the below promo for season 7.....does this still mean less Cas....or maybe more?

<object id="vid_4e27da972db5b91dfb000017" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/21/supernatural-season-7-trailer"/></object>
Old 07-21-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

Given they already said less Cass, I'm gonna guess random guest spots and then they off him in the season 7 finale. Or throw a curve ball, off him a few episodes before the finale and reveal a new big bad.
Old 08-23-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

If you folks haven't already, I highly recommended Supernatural: The Anime Series

It's a different take on some of the episodes from Seasons 1 & 2, plus some original ones written specifically for the anime series.

22 Episodes total, about 20 mins each (feels longer though)

http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-A.../dp/B004VLLWB0
Old 09-22-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally watched last season's finale. So fucking behind on my TV watchin'. Happy that the new season starts tomorrow night.