Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will leave Redemption Island tonight?
Matt
10.00%
Andrea
20.00%
Mike
0%
Ralph
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
for matt to survive an entire redemption island would be worthy as well.. it is the title of the season, and would mark a great finale
Disagree. His journey only looks impressive because he won a bunch of challenges at first but Mike has whooped him in the last two and the only reason he's still around is because he didn't finish in last. Plus he's been voted out twice by his peers... twice in one game the other players decided that they didn't want him around. That doesn't sound like a guy that deserves to win to me.
Old 05-12-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim
II haven't disliked the challenges this season like so many of you, but the location has kept them from doing many of the classic ocean challenges that tend to be more fun.

The Corn Islands, where the season was filmed, are in the Caribbean.
Old 05-12-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide

There were safety concerns with the water.
Old 05-12-11, 02:36 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide

Jeff Probst has said the ocean where they were at was too rough to do the types of water challenges they've done in the past.
Old 05-12-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hey, is Redemption Island really an island? It seems to be on the same main island where the rest of the show takes place. From what I remember of the original Exile Island, it was a tiny island off the main island.
Old 05-12-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If anything, this being Rob's 4th time hurts him, as he had a big target on his head from the outset. His being able to overcome that, without any significant noise of voting him off, is a credit to his gameplay.

Philip NEEDS to be in the final, just so we can hear what kind of crazy shit will come out of his mouth.
If he can manage to be lucid during the final tribal and try to convince the jury he was acting the whole time, I wouldn't put it past the zaps that didn't have to put up with him for long voting for him. He may only get 2 or 3, but it could make things interesting.
Old 05-12-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love his comment that we are finally due for a deserving winner.
Everyone who won their season is deserving. Just cause someone wasn't his personal favorited or edited to be a fan favorite should not negate their win.
Old 05-12-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
I noticed that comment too. That goes against some of the people on this forum who say everyone that wins is a deserving winner.
Unlike Jeff no one on the forum is friends with any of these contestants nor do they have a desire to be and there opinions are not clouded by personal friendships.
Old 05-12-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anything, this being Rob's 4th time hurts him, as he had a big target on his head from the outset. His being able to overcome that, without any significant noise of voting him off, is a credit to his gameplay.
What target? Everyone besides the 2 older ladies who were voted off early they were all starstruck and wanted to buddy up to him. Same thing happened to Stephanie when she played a bunch of newbies in Guatamala the only difference is he seems like he is managing the jury aspect much better.

Stats don't lie the 4 contestants that were put in this position to play against a bunch of newbies everyone except Russell ended up in control of their tribe and even in Russells case its because his seasons of backtstabbing were recent ones. If the young recruits on Robs team had popped in dvds of All Stars or Marquesas he would have been toast just like Russell.
Old 05-12-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Yeah -- I really don't get the comparison of Rob to Russell.
I agree. The only thing I think could come back to haunt him in the f3 is his tribe starving people and making them sleep in the rain. I imagine the 18 year old in front of a jury will be held a lot less responsible for that kind of behaivor then everyone else from Omeptepe would be.
Old 05-12-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Did I miss where Ometepe was hoarding food from Zapatera? The only scene I remember was the Zaps not sharing their rice with a starving Ometepe tribe.
Old 05-12-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the next tribal council the final one in which Rob can play his HII?
Old 05-12-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
Yes.
Old 05-12-11, 08:07 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Did I miss where Ometepe was hoarding food from Zapatera? The only scene I remember was the Zaps not sharing their rice with a starving Ometepe tribe.
Yeah that's all I remember as well. If Ometepe was hoarding food at one point and not sharing with the Zaps, the Zaps on the jury would be awfully childish (which wouldn't be surprising) to hold that against them, since they did the exact same thing.
Old 05-12-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
If his having it isn't common knowledge, I wonder if he would be so confident as to not play it, keeping it a secret to the end, so as to not engender any extra feelings of betrayal that he had it and didn't reveal it to them.
Old 05-12-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
If his having it isn't common knowledge, I wonder if he would be so confident as to not play it, keeping it a secret to the end, so as to not engender any extra feelings of betrayal that he had it and didn't reveal it to them.
My wife and I have had the same discussion. But if he doesn't have the necklace around his neck, I think he has to play it. Yes, it could cost him for keeping it a secret, but it's also another thing that he could use to show the jury that he played the better game by finding it, not letting anyone know, and running his tribe perfectly so that he could save it until the last tribal that he could.

If Jeff is to be believed, he said on one of his vlog's that no one knows that he has it.
Old 05-12-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why not just "find" it before tribal and tell everyone? Then you can play it and not have to take any risks.
Old 05-13-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Why not just "find" it before tribal and tell everyone? Then you can play it and not have to take any risks.
If anyone believed that Rob found it just before tribal, then I would have to finally agree with those who think this season's cast is the dumbest in Survivor history.
Old 05-13-11, 05:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aktick
Yeah that's all I remember as well. If Ometepe was hoarding food at one point and not sharing with the Zaps, the Zaps on the jury would be awfully childish (which wouldn't be surprising) to hold that against them, since they did the exact same thing.
"But, Mom...he hit me first!"

Re: The danger of angering fellow Omes if Rob plays the idol...we thought the same thing, but I like the idea of his pretending he just found it. I do think that this bunch is the dumbest in recent Survivor history, if not all time. Even Rob continually makes that point.

It all comes down to how safe he feels. At this point, he doesn't seem to need to worry about being voted out, so he might not risk it. Then again, he might be getting more paranoid the closer he gets to his goal.
Old 05-13-11, 05:28 AM
Banned

Actually, Andrea was the furthest one away from Mike. The lineup from left to right was Matt-Mike-Ralph-Andrea. Ralph was right next to Mike and he still couldn't figure things out.

But yes, I thought the same thing while watching -- that it was unfair and that they should have blockers.
How hard would it have been for them to come up with two different puzzle answers and then alternate them among the contestants so that no one was standing beside someone with the same puzzle? In other words, have an A-B-A-B arrangement so no one could peek. Actually, that might be a good twist if they weren't told, since peeking at the person beside you would only throw you off.
Old 05-13-11, 05:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mwbmis
There were safety concerns with the water.
Phillip: "That's racist!"
Old 05-13-11, 05:33 AM
Banned

I'm convinced that Ralph really doesn't know how to read (spell) based on his performance in working that puzzle.
Ralph doesn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, which is a huge understatement. On the other hand, spelling ability doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with intelligence. I'm known several straight-A students in every subject area who were average or below-average spellers.

Of course, Ralph's spelling may be on an entirely different level, since he misspelled the same names in a variety of ways.

I think his questions at Final Council will be a better indication of his overall IQ than his spelling.
Old 05-13-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

If this is indeed the final opportunity to play the HII, then Rob surely has to play it. Looking back at this season, everyone will remember the wonderful job he's done controlling his own destiny. If he gets blindsided while secretly holding an idol, it will wipe away everything he's done and cast him into the lot of survivors who have made the dumbest moves in history. Of course, winning immunity would eliminate this scenario completely.
Old 05-13-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Of course he'll play it if it's the last opportunity and if he wins immunity, he'll most certainly hand it over to someone he wants in the final to use.
Old 05-13-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
If this is indeed the final opportunity to play the HII, then Rob surely has to play it. Looking back at this season, everyone will remember the wonderful job he's done controlling his own destiny. If he gets blindsided while secretly holding an idol, it will wipe away everything he's done and cast him into the lot of survivors who have made the dumbest moves in history. Of course, winning immunity would eliminate this scenario completely.
I think he only plays it unless he has to. If he exposes that he's been carrying that almost the entire game and didn't tell anyone, they are going to be pissed and there go his chances of any jury votes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.