TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fringe -- "The Last Sam Weiss" -- 4/29/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 07:09 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fringe -- "The Last Sam Weiss" -- 4/29/11

Originally Posted by Flatlander
When I first saw it and the reference to the future, I was thinking that after the events in this reality it became clear that the Fringe division needed to be acknowledge and in turn was made a legit division of the government as it is in the alt universe. Seems like that is how the Fringe division must have been formed in the alt reality when everything started to fall apart over there.
makes sense... walter had understood and acknowledged that he would have done do the same thing walternate has done to protect their universe

they even have 'amber' ready incase they need to use it
Old 05-01-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
yeah, thats what i figured

olivia got nothing

then the scene where peter asks her "what's the phrase?" ---

ostrich hears the typewriter pecking away, calls olivia...

maybe it's a catalyst situation, where its both of them together needed for things to happen

---

so is the sam weiss story over?
That's what I think as well. The light box didn't change until Peter showed up. At the time I had thought it was Peter who activated the lights. But following this episode makes it clear that Peter can't get into the machine without the crowbar, and that Olivia cannot open the machine without peter.
Old 05-01-11, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Great fricking episode. I also think that Peter is probably still sitting on the machine in 2011 and his consciousness traveled to 2021 or 2026 and he's inside his future body.

I don't know what the writers have planned for season 4, but I think it will be an awesome trip to start a Fringe arc taking place 10 or 15 years in the future and Peter trying to find his way back. The actors on this show must love the scripts they are getting.

The season finale is going to rock.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-01-11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Time travel on Fringe doesn't scare me like it does with any other show. Fringe is unlike every other show and the people involved with this production clearly have a sense of what they're doing. I'm all in. Fucking love it!
Old 05-01-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya

Great fricking episode. I also think that Peter is probably still sitting on the machine in 2011 and his consciousness traveled to 2021 or 2026 and he's inside his future body.

I don't know what the writers have planned for season 4, but I think it will be an awesome trip to start a Fringe arc taking place 10 or 15 years in the future and Peter trying to find his way back. The actors on this show must love the scripts they are getting.

The seasoj finale is going to rock.
I'll be interested to see in which direction they go. I think you're guess is the most logical, but I kind of hope they don't go in that direction. I liked another poster's idea that Peter will be back by the end of the finale and the next season will be trying to figure out what happened, why, and maybe how to stop it.

I think keeping Peter in this alternate future/reality is too similar to what happened to Olivia this season. A lot of the story would feel like a retread if it focuses on Peter and how he gets back to Olivia again. To me, it would be more interesting if Peter comes back relatively quickly and the experience is shrouded in a bit more mystery.

Regardless, this show is outstanding and I have much faith in the writers. So much crazy shit has happened this season and they managed to pull it off admirably, somehow. I can't think of any other show that has taken as many risks as this one and have them pay off.
Old 05-01-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I really wouldn't like to see a whole season 15 years in the future. But I trust the writers.
Old 05-01-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel like they'll go a different route, it would be too much of the same thing that they did with Olivia. I have total trust in the writers with this show, they've taken some brave risks and they have definitely paid off.
Old 05-01-11, 05:07 PM
ATX

where are yall getting 15 yrs from?

they did 2 things in this episode to reference the time

1. when walter examined peter he asked what year it was and who was potus... 2011/obama

2. then there was the memorial that said xxx, 2021

thats 10 years

but you know what, actually all that tells you is that it's been at least 10 years, lol ... that coulda been built years ago

---

i don't think his trip to the future will last past the finale, or they coulda used this episode as the finale and used the first set of episodes to continue the future story

i see it being nothing but a standard theme where peter sees how the future is and then he goes back to present day and try to change things... maybe the 2 worlds collided and there is an ongoing war? peter probably meets up with old walter and oldlivia and finds out what he needs to do

peter and the crew forms the fringe division back in the present
Old 05-01-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think someone mentioned that they said that the memorial was about events that happened 5 years ago. Maybe that was in the scenes from the next episode.
Old 05-01-11, 05:14 PM

Love the show totally but I was really thinking it's retreading the Alias series a lot and very specifically. Ancient prophecies that happen to have a picture of the person drawn on it, old devices that had to be pieced together and threaten the world, memory loss of a main character, experiments on children that relate to the main character, etc. I'm sure that has been said before and by many others but that missing manuscript page with her picture just really stood out when I watched it. I loved Alias and maybe he just wanted a stab at doing it better since that show went of the rails so badly.
Old 05-01-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I think someone mentioned that they said that the memorial was about events that happened 5 years ago. Maybe that was in the scenes from the next episode.
I thought it said something like "to those who lost their lives Sept. 11, 2001. Dedicated in 2021. Peter looks up and sees the new rebuilt World Trade Center. It kinda looked like a holographic projection of a tower that maybe they turn on at night and the memorial is just at the base where Peter is.
Old 05-01-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a JJ Abrams show, it's guaranteed to go off the rails.
Old 05-01-11, 07:12 PM
ATX

Originally Posted by rw2516
I thought it said something like "to those who lost their lives Sept. 11, 2001. Dedicated in 2021. Peter looks up and sees the new rebuilt World Trade Center. It kinda looked like a holographic projection of a tower that maybe they turn on at night and the memorial is just at the base where Peter is.
yeah, it did say that

i just assumed the fact that they wanted us to know what present day was 2011 that they were showing future events

the other alternative is that peter stepped over to another universe... but we know that the current year is AT LEAST 2021... if it was this it wouldn't make sense to show us a 2021 date
Old 05-01-11, 07:44 PM
Cool New Member

In the promo for the finale they have a title that reads "15 Years Into The Future"
Old 05-01-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yeah can people please refrain from discussing what you saw in the preview. It is a spoiler, and should be discussed with tags.
Old 05-02-11, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Peter was looking at the Freedom Tower. It's under construction and will be ready in 2013. "Upon completion, One World Trade Center will be the tallest building in the United States, standing at a height of 1,776 feet."
Old 05-02-11, 02:38 AM

Was there something about that coin in a previous episode that I might've missed? It was interesting that when he was shown the coins, Peter moved his fingers over them until he suddenly stopped on one and picked it up. Walter also recognized that particular coin, wondering where he got it. Was it simply a coin that Peter had as a kid and then Walter pawned? Or, is it more important? Hopefully, they address that next week.
Old 05-02-11, 07:02 AM
ATX

i remember a coin was in that episode where walter went to that beach house and was looking for something (but he couldn't remember what)

think he was trying to remember how to do something, there was some device he had built and had left it in that house that did something... the coin was there too iirc

but it was some childhood momento, cant remember the significance
Old 05-02-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For Walter, the coin has some association with the original Peter:

Last edited by Flave; 05-03-11 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Fixed YT link
Old 05-02-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, that Focus commercial was kinda... distracting?
Old 05-02-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in Pittsfield, MA. There are no pedestrian traffic bridges or overhead street car wires and taxicabs don't cruise around looking for customers (if you want a cab you call for one by phone and they pick you up). So is this an alternate reality or an error by the writers. On the other hand, Pittsfield is a big GE town, so maybe GE was the inspiration for General Dynamics.
Old 05-02-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Extended Trailer for the Season Finale posted today by FOX:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0K2yAfqwTJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-02-11, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by celmendo
Love the show totally but I was really thinking it's retreading the Alias series a lot and very specifically. Ancient prophecies that happen to have a picture of the person drawn on it, old devices that had to be pieced together and threaten the world, memory loss of a main character, experiments on children that relate to the main character, etc. I'm sure that has been said before and by many others but that missing manuscript page with her picture just really stood out when I watched it. I loved Alias and maybe he just wanted a stab at doing it better since that show went of the rails so badly.
Exactly I thought... I loved Alias (well the first 2-3 seasons) and this episode kinda fell flat for me because of it.
Old 05-02-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by djariya
extended trailer for the season finale posted today by fox:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0k2yafqwtj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
omg!!!
Old 05-02-11, 04:44 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

ZOMG!!!?!

Can't wait!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.