Old 04-15-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Camelot -- "Lady of the Lake" -- 4/15/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-04-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Merlin sets off on a journey to find a sword suitable for a king by seeking out a legendary sword maker. A conversation with Guinevere changes Arthur and he begins to assert his power by sparring with Leontes.

Episode 4 of 10

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L-0PsHa9qvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love Guinevere

Really dig this show so far.
Old 04-16-11, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Camelot -- "Lady of the Lake" -- 4/15/11

So wait, the sword that Arthur pulled out of the stone is not Excalibur? Huh??? I can't decide if I like this show or not. Most of the supporting cast is great, but I can't stand the actor who plays Arthur and Merlin is just eh as well.
Old 04-16-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Interesting to learn that the moistened bint had lobbed the scimitar at Merlin and not Arthur.
Old 04-16-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
So wait, the sword that Arthur pulled out of the stone is not Excalibur? Huh???
It depends on the version of the story.

Usually, the sword in the stone and Excalibur are two different things, though in some versions they're the same. I'm not an expert on Arthurian legend, but I think in the earlier versions, the sword in the stone was Excalibur, and in later versions Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady in the Lake after he became king (by pulling the sword from the stone).
Old 04-16-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show is at its best when Author is not on screen.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Interesting to learn that the moistened bint had lobbed the scimitar at Merlin and not Arthur.
Ive read this sentence a half dozen times and I still don't understand it.
Old 04-16-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
The show is at its best when Author is not on screen.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Ive read this sentence a half dozen times and I still don't understand it.
Translation:

Interesting to learn that the drowning girl gave the sword to Merlin and not Arthur.
Old 04-17-11, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the relevant clip.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvKIWjnEPNY?version=3&start=99"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvKIWjnEPNY?version=3&start=99" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 04-19-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
So wait, the sword that Arthur pulled out of the stone is not Excalibur? Huh??? .
Yeah, that really threw me as well. I always thought the sword in the stone was Excalibur. The whole time I kept thinking he already has a sword. And "Excalibur" damn sure doesn't sound like a girl's name.
Old 04-22-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

So no new episode this week? I don't quite get that scheduling, when presumably they have the episode finished already and all they showed instead is a marathon of the first 4 episodes.

I've been tied up with things, so I just got caught up with this episode today. I do like that enough is changed up (at least from other Arthurian stories) to keep it interesting. But it's probably not a good thing that I find the characters of Arthur and Merlin to be pretty repugnant.
Old 04-22-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
So no new episode this week? I don't quite get that scheduling, when presumably they have the episode finished already and all they showed instead is a marathon of the first 4 episodes.

I've been tied up with things, so I just got caught up with this episode today. I do like that enough is changed up (at least from other Arthurian stories) to keep it interesting. But it's probably not a good thing that I find the characters of Arthur and Merlin to be pretty repugnant.
It looks like they are trying to pad the show out until June. Plus we have another repeat scheduled for May 27th.

6/10/11 (Fr.) 10:00 PM STARZ (#110) Episode 10
6/3/11 (Fr.) 10:00 PM STARZ (#109) Episode 9
5/27/11 (Fr.) 11:00 PM STARZ (#106) Episode 6 (R)
5/27/11 (Fr.) 10:00 PM STARZ (#105) Episode 5 (R)
5/20/11 (Fr.) 10:00 PM STARZ (#108) Episode 8
5/13/11 (Fr.) 10:00 PM STARZ (#107) Episode 7
5/6/11 (Fr.) 10:00 PM STARZ (#106) Episode 6
4/29/11 (Fr.) 10:00 PM STARZ (#105) Episode 5
Old 04-23-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or maybe they just think viewership won't be high on holiday weekends -- which is the prevailing attitude amongst all the other networks too.
Old 04-24-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
But it's probably not a good thing that I find the characters of Arthur and Merlin to be pretty repugnant.
Couldn't agree more -- especially about Arthur. Not only is this a case of one of the worst casting decisions ever made, but the way his character is written paints him as a complete douche-bag and polar opposite of what I, or anyone else, has ever imagined the mythical Arthur to be like. This Arthur is a whoring, whiny, little bitch, pining over another man's wife (a man who is 10x the man he is), and who would lie, cheat, and do anything to get what he wants. And the fact that this pathetic little creature is surrounded by honorable men, the kind of men you'd expect from Arthurian legend, makes him look even more pathetic. He is indeed (to use your excellent word) most repugnant. WTF were the writers thinking?

And portraying all Arthurian legends as falsehoods that Merlin (as the Dark Ages equivalent of a modern political consultant) cynically makes up just to get his puppet Arthur to the British throne further spits in the face of Arthurian legend.

If not for Eva Green, this show would be a complete waste.

[Edit] FYI, in most versions of Arthurian myth, Excalibur was NOT the sword he pulls from the stone. The writers seem to be using Malory's Arthur for this series and Malory definitely says Excalibur is a different sword. In these versions, the Lady of the Lake (named Vivien -- interesting that Morgan's servant in this series is named Vivien) plays a very important role in Arthur's life including giving him Excalibur.

Last edited by Flave; 04-24-11 at 11:05 AM.