TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Starting a Star Trek journey

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Starting a Star Trek journey

Two more:

"The Corbomite Maneuver" - good episode, but man does it start off slooooow. How many shots of a friggin multi-colored cube do we need? A lot, apparently. Also find it funny to introduce a brand new character only to send him off with the alien at the end of the ep. Nice work there. Also, even as a child Clint Howard is one of the ugliest humans ever.

"The Menagerie Part 1" - good throwback to the original pilot. Captain Pike looks fucked up in that make-up. Nice job for the sixties. Seeing Spock running around breaking orders and neck pinching everyone in sight was pretty cool.

Tried to get the wife to stay up and watch Part 2, but it was late and she was nodding off. Sigh.
Old 04-04-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys should do something with this journey..such as turn it into a drinking game..or something else fun to keep it interesting. Maybe have goals/party when you finish a series or something
Old 04-05-11, 10:55 AM

Yeah, I need to do something. She sort of hinted that I could watch by myself last night if I wanted to. We talked about the drinking game, but I don't want to be drunk every other night.
Old 04-05-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Also, even as a child Clint Howard is one of the ugliest humans ever.
Hahaha. I had no idea that was Clint Howard. Just thought it was some really creepy ass makeup or something. Yeesh...
Old 04-05-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_2cdXv93cRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-05-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,062 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Yeah, I need to do something. She sort of hinted that I could watch by myself last night if I wanted to. We talked about the drinking game, but I don't want to be drunk every other night.
You've lost her, man
Old 04-05-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
You've lost her, man
yup.
Old 04-06-11, 10:16 AM

I have that feeling as well. Still going to try to rally tonight and get her back on board.
Old 04-07-11, 10:51 AM

We watched two more episodes last night.

"The Menagerie Part 2" - I've decided that this was pretty much a plodding attempt to show the audience the original pilot. Not a bad story, just seemed to move slowly. Definitely needed more Spock pinching people and stealing starships.

"Conscience of the King" - Interesting plot. I liked it for the most part. But holy hell they put some fugly outfits on that girl. And for this show, that's saying something.

Wife seems to be back on board, for now. I've been trying to do more MST3K-like commentary over the more goofy/boring parts to keep us entertained. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-14-11, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 702 Posts

Are you guys still hanging in there?

I think it's funny how amazing short our attention spans have gotten.

In TOS time the shows were 50 mins with extra long shots of expressions of people and pauses between conversations and dramatic glares.

Today we are watching BSG where the camera can't sit still for a second and there is constant movement the cuts are quick and we can't stand to just watch TV for 43 minutes we have to be on our laptop/phone/ipod/tablet and looking up what's going to happen in the next episode while shopping for BSG toys on ebay and posting facebook statuses with the word frak in it.

*edit* See I didn't even have the attention span to put the *ly in amazingly.
Old 04-14-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanman
Are you guys still hanging in there?

I think it's funny how amazing short our attention spans have gotten.

In TOS time the shows were 50 mins with extra long shots of expressions of people and pauses between conversations and dramatic glares.

Today we are watching BSG where the camera can't sit still for a second and there is constant movement the cuts are quick and we can't stand to just watch TV for 43 minutes we have to be on our laptop/phone/ipod/tablet and looking up what's going to happen in the next episode while shopping for BSG toys on ebay and posting facebook statuses with the word frak in it.

*edit* See I didn't even have the attention span to put the *ly in amazingly.
tl;dr
Old 04-14-11, 08:47 AM

Yeah, still going. Just had a lot going on this week (dog obedience class, son's birthday coming up, taxes, blah blah blah). I can tell she's humoring me a bit, but I think she does get some entertainment out of this. She DID make me turn it off so we could watch hockey last night, though.

"Balance of Terror" - good little episode. Not much "terror", but the cat and mouse between Kirk and Sarek ( ) was good. Not too much to poke fun of, except every time the Enterprise hit the Romulan ship, part of their ceiling fell in. They had plaster ceilings on Romulan warbirds? That was funny.

"Shore Leave" - strange episode. Didn't hate it, it was just...weird. Kirk's bully was really annoying. I'm sure Bones getting "killed" was quite shocking when it originally aired. It was funny watching Sulu pretend to be attracted to the playboy bunnies at the end, knowing what we know now.
Old 04-21-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hows it going?
Old 04-21-11, 03:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Hows it going?
sunk like a Horta in a swimming pool I'd imagine
Old 04-22-11, 09:08 AM

Yeah, haven't watched anything new lately. Mostly due to hockey playoffs on nights where we watch TV together. Haven't given up yet. Might try to get her to watch a couple tonight.
Old 05-10-11, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

just finished Enterprise
finale spoilers
Spoiler:
god These Are The Voyages is really a horrible finale. It'd make a decent, maybe even great TNG holodeck episode but was not a good way to end Enterprise
the CGI Ent-D looked good, but the wrong turbolift interior, door colors (way too orange, and some of those doors weren't orange at all on TNG IIRC) and other changes from actual TNG really stuck out. And they didn't seem to do as much to "de-age" Riker and Troi as they could have, and her uniform was the wrong shade of blue
Old 05-10-11, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah most of us just pretend that episode doesn't exist.
Old 05-10-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,432 Likes on 1,046 Posts

On my Trek forum I post at, somebody was doing a rewatch of all the series like this and their viewing guide had These Are The Voyages during the TNG run right after Pegasus. That way ENT gets a better ending and TATV comes off as a TNG misstep.
Old 05-25-11, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really have to watch enterprise. Its the only star trek that I haven't watched. I think it's because I haven't been able to find the season sets for cheap. I can't believe I paid $100 for one season on TNG before and now I won't pay $45 for enterprise.

Honestly your journey is probably more like a 10 year goal. It might take a long time.
Old 05-25-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
On my Trek forum I post at, somebody was doing a rewatch of all the series like this and their viewing guide had These Are The Voyages during the TNG run right after Pegasus. That way ENT gets a better ending and TATV comes off as a TNG misstep.

link to forum/thread if you don't mind me asking? PM if you need too
Old 05-25-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The forum is TrekBBS and the thread is several months old (maybe even from late 2010), but it was in the General Trek Discussion section.

I can try to find it later in my posting history, not sure if I ever commented on that thread.
Old 05-25-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to find someone to watch this lineup with me!

I know that Netflix is supposed to have streaming for all of the Trek TV series starting in July, so I think I'll try to take advantage of that.
Old 05-25-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I really have to watch enterprise. Its the only star trek that I haven't watched. I think it's because I haven't been able to find the season sets for cheap. I can't believe I paid $100 for one season on TNG before and now I won't pay $45 for enterprise.

Honestly your journey is probably more like a 10 year goal. It might take a long time.
I'm pretty sure Netflix is going to start streaming all the shows come June or July 1st...so that would help out if one has Netflix.
Old 05-25-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure this is the thread, actually from Sep 2009 (!), but the reviewer drops the project after a while for personal reasons. But his viewing guide is on the first page.
http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=...light=watching

ENT Season 1-3
ENT Season 4, without In a Mirror, Darkly and These are the Voyages
TOS until The Tholian Web
In a Mirror, Darkly (The Defiant, which is the only thing from the Prime Universe in the episode, comes from The Tholian Web)
Rest of TOS
TAS
Movies 1-6 and the first bit of Generations
TNG Season 1-5
TNG Season 6 and DS9 Season 1
TNG Season 7 until The Pegasus and DS9 Season 2 until The Alternate
These are the Voyages (Set during The Pegasus)
Rest of TNG Season 7 and DS9 Season 2
DS9 Season 3 until Meridian
Generations
Rest of DS9 Season 3 and VOY Season 1
DS9 Season 4 and VOY Season 2
DS9 Season 5 until Things Past and VOY Season 3 until Warlord
First Contact
Rest of DS9 Season 5 and VOY Season 3
DS9 Season 6 and VOY Season 4 (Without Living Witness)
DS9 Season 7 until Covenant and VOY Season 5 until Thirty Days
Insurrection
Rest of DS9 Season 7 and VOY Season 5
VOY Season 6-7
Nemesis
Trek XI (Nero and Spock, the only people from the Prime Universe, are from 2387)
Living Witness (Set in the far future)

------------------
Personally I would leave In A Mirror, Darkly where it goes in ENT, and would just watch all of Generations after TNG (the Kirk opening works fine as a flashback). And also the VOY episode Living Witness works fine where it originally aired.
Old 05-25-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack
I'm pretty sure Netflix is going to start streaming all the shows come June or July 1st...so that would help out if one has Netflix.

I know but the completionist in me needs to own enterprise. Hell I already own 26 seasons and 11 movies of Trek. What's another three seasons? (I have ent S1 already).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.