Old 02-07-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Chicago Code -- New Series from Shawn Ryan -- "Pilot" -- 2/07/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the series premiere episode, Teresa Colvin, the city's first female superintendent, lobbies for a city corruption task force to investigate Alderman Ronin Gibbons, a building-magnate-turned-politician. Meanwhile, Colvin's ex-partner and larger-than-life veteran of the Chicago Police Department, Jarek Wysocki, investigates a suspicious murder in Grant Park alongside his new partner Caleb Evers. Also in Jarek's charge are his niece, Vonda Wysocki; her hotshot partner, Isaac Joiner; and Liam Hennessey, an Irish thug who blends in with the gritty world of local crime. Together, these cops stop at nothing to navigate the Windy City's underbelly to fight crime and bring down Alderman Gibbons' empire of corruption.

Created and Executive Produced by Shawn Ryan (The Shield)

Starring:
Jennifer Beals (Lie to Me, Flashdance)
Jason Clarke (Brotherhood)
Matt Lauria (Friday Night Lights)
Delroy Lindo (Kidnapped)
Todd Williams (In Plain Sight)

13 episode 1st season

I follow Shawn Ryan's Twitter feed and he has mentioned that the show is serialized.

Here's a few positive reviews:

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/fox/the...e-review/46491

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020603646.html

Preview Featurette featuring interviews with Ryan, Beals, Clarke

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/keHo6akpu6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X3GKW5wsbO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a fan of Shawn Ryan's work and hopefully this is good and does well. With the absolute bust Human Target was in it's 2nd season, FOX needs a good serialized action show.
Old 02-07-11, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Chicago Code -- New Series from Shawn Ryan -- "Pilot" -- 2/07/11

Looking forward to this.
Old 02-07-11, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A show about a corrupt black Chicago politician? Real subtle, Rupert.
Old 02-07-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm excited for this. While Hawaii 5-0 has pretty cool action, I still haven't found a show to fill my "24" void. I was expecting Human Target to do that this season, but that's a joke.

With corruption as the central theme for this show, I hope it can be a good substitute for 24.
Old 02-07-11, 10:13 AM
Banned

Looking forward to this especially Beals.
Old 02-07-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been looking forward to this. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
Old 02-07-11, 10:17 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I'm game.
Old 02-07-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

From the reviews I have read and Shawn Ryan's reputation, there is little doubt this show will be awesome. But because it will be (and it is on Fox, coupled with the fact Tim Minear is involved) this will no doubt get canceled.

Here is to holding out hope that doesn't happen.
Old 02-07-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Totally looking forward to this.
Old 02-07-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm actually excited to check this out. I hope Fox has marketed this accurately!
Old 02-07-11, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll give it shot. Hopefully they don't dedicate 50% of the show to watching the spouses of the cops gossiping.
Old 02-07-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really looking forward to this. Delroy Lindo should make a great villain.
Old 02-07-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmm...I hadn't planned on watching this, but after all the comparisons to 24, I'll give it a shot. Adding it to my DVR.
Old 02-07-11, 11:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll be tuning in
Old 02-07-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I'm actually excited to check this out. I hope Fox has marketed this accurately!
I've heard they overhyped the "Every cop in this city answers to ME!" angle, and I hope that's right. I think it's supposed to actually be about one renegade cop and his dealings with his supervisor and others. Love Shawn Ryan's past offerings, so I'm ready for this... (Chicago Tribune also raved out it.)
Old 02-07-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

dumping The Cape for this....
Old 02-07-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Roush-Re...o-1028956.aspx

Another good review today from Matt Roush of TV Guide
Old 02-07-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Meh.
It gets one more chance.
Old 02-07-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

this was incredibly boring. that car chase conversation was beyond unrealistic. can't believe people wanted this after the superbowl. wow
Old 02-07-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a Pilot, I thought it was pretty good, but not amazing. I like the style of the show and Ryan has definitely painted a gritty picture. It's no Terriers (), but definitely off to a strong start. The characters already have a good deal of depth and shared history, which is great, but there's also a lot of room for them to grow and develop, which is important.

Coming into the Pilot, I think we all knew someone was going to be killed by the end of the episode. Seemed pretty obvious it was going to be Beals's partner, since he wasn't in the promo photo, lol.

I really liked the introduction of Clarke's character and letting the guy see his girlfriend before he went to jail, even though it was totally ridiculous.

I like most of the main characters so far, particularly Beals, Clarke, Lauria, and Lush. I don't really like Clarke's niece of her partner, they seem like they'll be the weak link in the show. The only one I'm not entirely sure about yet, surprisingly, is Delroy Lindo. I like him a lot as an actor, but wasn't really feeling his portrayal of the Alderman in this episode. I'm sure he'll prove himself in the coming weeks though.

The one thing I wasn't exactly crazy about though was the voiceovers. They could have just been used in the Pilot as a way to better introduce the characters, but I suspect they'll stick around. Hopefully they get better, because they sort of felt inauthentic and forced; but I'm willing to chalk that up to it being the Pilot. The one time it was very effective though was when the guy got shot; cutting quickly from the nice flashbacks to the shooting was great editing.

It wasn't perfect, but I appreciated that they didn't rely solely on action and tried to balance the two. Definitely looking forward to next week's episode and hope it improves upon this one.

But yeah, it definitely won't get a second season since Tim Minear is involved, lol.

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
dumping The Cape for this....
Haha, same here. I'll catch those episodes on Hulu, but am watching this one live. The Cape was basically dead on arrival anyway. A fun show, but nothing that will last.
Old 02-07-11, 11:56 PM
Banned

Loved this. All of the characters are likable, especially the Superintendent. I'll be tuning in next week.
Old 02-08-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked the opening episode, but I didn't love it. It was a little slow and I thought the narration/voice-overs by some of the characters was a little weird. I realize it was there to help set up the characters, but I think it could have been done differently. I also watch Southland, which I think is the best produced cop show on TV and I think this will be hard pressed to match the intensity and grittiness of it.

As far as setting up a arc around the Chicago Police trying to take down a corrupt Politician, I think Shawn Ryan did a good job with that. Once I saw that woman confide in Alderman Gibbons about the numbers not matching up, I knew she was screwed. Delroy Lindo should make an interesting villain.

Also, Teresa and Antonio getting shot at the end was a surprise.

I liked Jason Clarke as Wysocki and Jennifer Beals as Colvin alot. Both of them are strong actors and are good leads for this show. Being that this is a network show and not cable, I found it funny that Ryan wrote Wysocki as someone who hates cursing

The preview for the coming weeks does look promising. I just hope that people choosing to watch this show aren't expecting The Shield Part 2.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-08-11 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Overall I though it was a solid start - some of the stuff was a little rough and they did a lot of what seemed like forced background on the characters (would have liked that to come out over a few episodes and not through voiceovers). I'm not sold on Beals in this role yet... I just didn't see her as a superintendent, maybe that will change over a few episodes.

I also wish Ryan didn't go back to the kill a character in the pilot well with the shooting at the end, but I guess he felt it needed to push Wysocki into the covert team. I liked the young partner (forgot his name) and the plotline on how he picked up something about the UC and that was his in with Wysocki. While it would have been funny to go through partners every 1 or 2 shows for a while, a small off the books investigative team probably doesn't lend itself to that.

Originally Posted by kstublen
The one thing I wasn't exactly crazy about though was the voiceovers. They could have just been used in the Pilot as a way to better introduce the characters, but I suspect they'll stick around. Hopefully they get better, because they sort of felt inauthentic and forced; but I'm willing to chalk that up to it being the Pilot. The one time it was very effective though was when the guy got shot; cutting quickly from the nice flashbacks to the shooting was great editing.
I thought the Beals voice-over was really weak (heck most of them were) and found myself also hoping it won't be a regular thing or at least they are a little less heavy handed.
Old 02-08-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wirefan
I liked the young partner (forgot his name) and the plotline on how he picked up something about the UC and that was his in with Wysocki.
Wysocki's partners name is Caleb Evers played by Matt Lauria formerly of Friday Night Lights.

I did think it was funny when Evers just kept throwing random pop culture top-5 questions to Wysocki. And Wysocki would give him a dirty look afterwards.

In case some of you don't already know, Jason Clarke (Wysocki) is Australian.

Now that I think about it, I think Wysocki character is supposed to be a throwback to the old 70's or 80's TV Cop, especially with his hate for profanity.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-08-11 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
I'm not sold on Beals in this role yet... I just didn't see her as a superintendent, maybe that will change over a few episodes.
She does look a little goofy in the hat, especially compared to the current SI:

My favorite part was when Wysocki tricked the kid into admitting he was a Cubs fan. As he was saying it I said to myself "Uh oh, the Sox don't play at 1:20, lol"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.