TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

Originally Posted by Bandoman
This simply hasn't done the book justice. It's passable, but nothing special. I agree that Skarsgaard just doesn't seem menacing.
I'm glad I'm not missing much. Adaptations of his books always leave so much to be desired.
Old 02-19-21, 10:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only one confused as to what exactly triggered that whole "lightning storm" in New Vegas?

Was surprised to learn that this was the finale, as it didn't really feel like one.
Old 02-19-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Officer Cartman
Am I the only one confused as to what exactly triggered that whole "lightning storm" in New Vegas?
That was God and/or Abagail. In the 90's miniseries, there was a "hand of God" in cloud form (I think it looked like a cloud?) that ignited the nuke. In this one, we got the lightning.
Old 02-19-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Bummer about all the negative reviews. This was the one show that had me considering getting CBS All Access. So much for that....
Old 02-19-21, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
That was God and/or Abagail. In the 90's miniseries, there was a "hand of God" in cloud form (I think it looked like a cloud?) that ignited the nuke. In this one, we got the lightning.
It looked to me like the initial fog that formed around the building looked like fingers for a few seconds. But it was the kind of thing a person probably wouldn’t catch if they weren’t already watching for a hand.
Old 02-20-21, 06:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Gotcha, I figured it was something like that but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.
Old 02-20-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Bummer about all the negative reviews. This was the one show that had me considering getting CBS All Access. So much for that....
I was popping in to get the general consensus for that same reason. Nice to know I can continue to ignore CBS All Access without reservation even though a new, really well done version of the story would have been nice.
Old 02-20-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Yeah, it's not worth getting CBS Access/Paramount + for, although I would argue that Star Trek is (but if you're not a Star Trek fan, then okay).
Old 02-20-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I was popping in to get the general consensus for that same reason. Nice to know I can continue to ignore CBS All Access without reservation even though a new, really well done version of the story would have been nice.
Me three. Popping in to check out the feedback before diving in. I assume there's a free trial that you could use just to watch the Stand, but sounds like it's not worth it. lol
Old 03-29-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

The wife and I just finished this after doing a Paramount+ trial primarily to watch it. What a fucking dog turd of wasted potential.

How in the hell did they make this nearly 50% longer than the 90s miniseries, yet have the characters and the relationships between them feel less established? Most of the characters were reduced to plot movers with no real sense of who they were, what they believed and what they wanted. Such an epic and classic novel deserves more than this loose pile of mediocrity.

I can’t believe, given the times we’re living in, they chose to make the Vegas society look like a Baptist anti-rock-music video from the 80s. They could’ve easily updated that society to mirror and comment on the authoritarian fervor on today’s right. Show Flagg as stoking fear of outsiders and giving the people the stability they desire at the cost of their souls. This could’ve been as socially relevant and damning as Watchmen. Instead, they opted for grade D morons wearing feathers, snorting coke and eating each others’ asses over a gladiator fight pit.

Also, fuck Ezra Miller. He deserves a five-year timeout from acting jobs for whatever in the high holy hell he was doing here.

I mean, they had a solid budget and a talented cast and just thoroughly squandered them all. It felt intentionally spiteful in its blandness and simplicity.