TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Will Ferrell to guest star on The Office

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Will Ferrell to guest star on The Office

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
What happened to that promise they made (several seasons ago at this point) that they would never bring in big celebrities as cast members because it would take away from the "reality" of the show?

I guess that went out the window with Kathy Bates, anyway, but jesus...
Steve Carell had already made a name for himself before the show and more of the minor characters were recognizable to viewers than not. I was familiar with Rainn Wilson and Jenna Fischer from "Six Feet Under" and I'd seen them both in smaller roles as well, Wilson in "Almost Famous" and Fischer on "Undeclared" and a few other things too.

Krasinski and Novak were admittedly unknowns but anyone watching "Curb Your Enthusiasm" or "Arrested Development" had already seen a good chunk of the supporting cast. Kevin, Oscar and Meredith come to mind. Recognizable comedians like David Koechner and Tim Meadows appeared early on in the show too and even if they aren't A-list actors I think a substantial segment of the comedy-viewing audience knows them by name.

My point? It's a work of fiction and even though there varying degrees of recognizability for any given person in regards to any given actor you aren't going to get an entirely unknown cast unless you hire amateurs. I once found myself referring to Dwight as Arthur after watching "The Office" for years, should the fact this his "Six Feet Under" performance made an impression on me prevent him from playing a new role? Is the show ruined for someone who went to school with Paul Leiberstein because he knows he isn't really an HR rep for a paper company in PA?

Furthermore, when people are watching "The Office" and see Kathy Bates or Timothy Olyphant are they really going "don't these real salt-of-the-earth people realize that's really an actor?" Obviously not. The people who have a problem with it are the obsessive nerds who think some sort of "no recognizable stars" rule was sent down from the heavens years ago.
Old 01-29-11, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guru Askew

Furthermore, when people are watching "The Office" and see Kathy Bates or Timothy Olyphant are they really going "don't these real salt-of-the-earth people realize that's really an actor?" Obviously not. The people who have a problem with it are the obsessive nerds who think some sort of "no recognizable stars" rule was sent down from the heavens years ago.
Thanks for the insult.
Old 01-30-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would be fine with Ferrell's appearance if he truly played a comedic straight man type character. But it appears we'll be getting Michael Scott redux.
Old 01-30-11, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Noooooooooooo!

And I thought the idea of Packer taking over would be bad.

Four fucking episodes of Ferrell and 60 seconds of
Spoiler:
Ricky Gervais.

That's cruel and unusual punishment...
Old 01-30-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I guess I should have said decent online fanbases. But really how many shows now days get good ratings anyways that aren't reality based? Either way I still think that after Carrell leaves the show is likely to begin its decline in popularity. Unless they can get another star to match him and can blend in with the existing cast I give the show another couple seasons.
Old 01-30-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGibFen
I would be fine with Ferrell's appearance if he truly played a comedic straight man type character. But it appears we'll be getting Michael Scott redux.
And if that's how NBC wants to replace Steve Carell then they will fail. The replacements on shows that did it well found characters that were unique and completely different from what came before and where shows failed horribly at it is where they tried to make the character like the person who came before them.
Old 01-30-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
The Office's best years were from 2001 until 2003.
fully agree.
Old 01-30-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
I love Will Ferrell but Steve Carrell leaving and the show stunt casting a new boss for a few episodes spells the beginning of the end. Do you think
The Office still has its best years ahead?
No, I don't necessarily think that... but I just don't think Will Ferrell 4-episode cameo = jumping the shark.

I personally think The Office will have one more season left after this, and then hopefully they decide to just end it, rather than have it be cancelled. Also, it'd be nice is Carrell came back for the series finale.
Old 01-30-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

i have no problem with this since i know it is not a permanent replacement. i think farrell should play it like he did in the other guys. sort of a straight laced nerdy guy. not too over the top.
Old 03-22-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Just a bump up. Not directly related to Will Ferrell, but Will Arnett and Ricky Gervais will both be in The Office finale: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Office-G...t-1030964.aspx
Old 03-22-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will Arnett taking over for Steve Carrell would be a in my book!
Old 03-22-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in for Gervais and Arnett. Hell, might as well get David Cross to come in as Todd Margaret and really complete the ineptitude trifecta.
Old 03-22-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not surprising that Gervais is coming back for another episode.

David: "Where do you work?
Michael: "Dunder Mifflin."
David: "Any jobs going?"
Michael: "No, not right now."
David: "Just let me know."

Since we knew this season would see several people being interviewed for Michael's old job, the above exchange strongly hinted at David Brent being one of the interviewees.

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Will Arnett taking over for Steve Carrell would be a in my book!
I strongly disagree. I like Will Arnett in small doses, but he isn't meant to really carry a show.

What calhoun07 said, even though it was a few months back, is absolutely correct. They can't try to replace Michael with someone doing a Michael impersonation. They need to cast a completely different character with a completely different personality. That's why news of a Tim Allen or Harvey Keitel is better than the news of a Will Ferrell or Will Arnett, because we're used to seeing the latter two act in ways similar to Carell. And let's not forget, there's always the possibility of an in-house promotion (Darryl, Dwight, or Jim).

But Will Ferrell, if he played it straight like he did in Stranger Than Fiction and The Other Guys, would be a fine replacement. Not so sure Will Arnett would act any differently in this role than in everything else we've seen him in.

Last edited by kstublen; 03-22-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I strongly disagree. I like Will Arnett in small doses, but he isn't meant to really carry a show.
In other words, it would be a huge mistake?
Old 03-22-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
After Running Wilde, I have to begrudgingly agree with you.
Old 03-22-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

he doesn't necessarily have to carry this show

if ratings plummet then so be it, i think the show should end anyway but i'll still watch
Old 03-22-11, 12:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

...or nobody.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vDjJc_ZH6dk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-22-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by uteotw
In other words, it would be a huge mistake?
Old 03-22-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I agree, Arnett is best in small doses. His schtick gets old, fast.
Old 03-22-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

...or nobody.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vDjJc_ZH6dk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Best idea ever. I'm on board.
Old 03-22-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Best idea ever. I'm on board.
Likewise!
Old 03-22-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

while i understand the comments about Arnett (but disagree) the Office is pretty much an ensemble show anyway. sure, Carrell does have the most screen time, but they could decrease that a bit for the new boss.
Old 03-22-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem with Arnett though, is that I don't think he's capable of acting any differently than he does in every other show he's been in, which is a little too similar to Michael. They need to go in the opposite direction of Michael to make the transition work.
Old 03-22-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

again, i disagree. i don't want someone understated. i want someone over the top.
Old 03-22-11, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

...or nobody.

Very unlikely as Rhys is attached to the CBS pilot "How to Be a Gentleman" starring Kevin Dillon and one of the writers for It's Always Sunny...

http://www.deadline.com/tag/rhys-darby/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.