Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Men Season 5 -- Possibly delayed? (Still not officially renewed)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men Season 5 -- Possibly delayed? (Still not officially renewed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mad Men Season 5 -- Possibly delayed? (Still not officially renewed)

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Just putting it out there that the only awards that 'The Walking Dead' has been qualified for it was nominated for "Outstanding Dramatic Series" for just 6 episodes - and 'Breaking Bad' wasn't... could singal a shift come next Emmys (or more likely the Emmys for the second season).
Ahem, Breaking Bad wasn't eligible for the Emmy Awards for the 2010-2011 season.
Old 02-01-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meritocracy
Ahem, Breaking Bad wasn't eligible for the Emmy Awards for the 2010-2011 season.
I'll see your "Ahem" and raise you a "ZINGGGGG!"
Old 02-02-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Personally The Walking Dead doesn't even hold a candle to Mad Men.. The acting was "meh" at best for TWD.. I'll continue with season 2 but I'm not jonesing for it like I am Mad Men..

I really don't care for it too much when people reply to a post with "this."

But

THIS
Old 02-02-11, 12:16 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I doubt that we'll see Mad Men Season 5 until 2012.
Old 02-02-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I doubt that we'll see Mad Men Season 5 until 2012.
Why is that?
Old 02-02-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemdog
Why is that?
I'm starting to think the same thing, mostly because there still isn't a deal, plus Breaking Bad seems to be taking Mad Men's normal summer slot, with The Walking Dead airing once that's done.

Unless they double up the shows I'm not sure when Mad Men would fit into the schedule.
Old 03-22-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

More news, and it's not too encouraging yet:

'Mad Men' season 5 premiere date could be pushed to fall or later

BY David Hinckley
DAILY NEWS TV CRITIC

Tuesday, March 22nd 2011, 3:22 PM

In a drama of intense interest to a modest percentage of the TV-viewing public, it's looking like the fifth season of AMC's "Mad Men" may not have its usual mid-summer debut this year.

Although there has been no official comment from AMC, creator Matthew Weiner or producer Lionsgate, reports from multiple sources suggest the lack of an official deal with Weiner could push production back far enough so the show may not be able to debut until fall or later.

That deal is said by other sources to be "close." But in past years, the show has filmed in April or May to be ready for its mid-summer premiere, which means time could be getting tight.

Ew.com quoted star Jon Hamm as saying recently that the show is "in limbo" pending a firm deal.

The reported holdup – no surprise here – is money.

"Mad Men" has always been more of a critical and artistic than ratings success, averaging at best a quarter of the audience for moderately successful broadcast network dramas. As a result, AMC has suggested in the past it is not a financial goldmine.

It has paid dividends in prestige, though, and Weiner has noted in interviews – including one with The News last fall – that its acclaim has made it a more gilded property in which everyone wants a share.

Also potentially at issue is the future of the show beyond a projected fifth season. Weiner said early in the show's life that he projected a story arc for about five seasons, but in his interview with the News and elsewhere, while declining to be specific, he has seemed to suggest that could be flexible.

He didn't see the show continuing until Hamm's Don Draper was creating ads for smartphones, he said, but he could see it going further through the 1960s, where the "Mad Men" world is already being rocked by social change.
Old 03-28-11, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/matt...-cost-shaving/

Things are not looking good for season 5. Matt Weiner is in the process of signing a new 2-year $30M contract, but talks are falling apart with AMC.

Weiner is objecting to the following that AMC wants:

1) More product placement.
2) Eliminating 2 minutes of content for more commercials. Mad Men's running time with no commercials is usually around 45-47 minutes.
3) Cutting 2 cast members
Old 03-28-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the show ends now, at least it had a somewhat good ending.
Old 03-29-11, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

Things are not looking good for season 5. Matt Weiner is in the process of signing a new 2-year $30M contract, but talks are falling apart with AMC.

2) Eliminating 2 minutes of content for more commercials. Mad Men's running time with no commercials is usually around 45-47 minutes.
I can see how Weiner would object to 2 & 3, but more product placement? The show takes place in an advertising agency, it's the only show where I actually expect product placement.
Old 03-29-11, 08:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

now i wish it WAS on HBO... freakin AMC
Old 03-29-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Can't he just take it to another network? That would be fine by me if I can finally get the damn show in HD.
Old 03-29-11, 08:07 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Weiner needs to stop being a baby about items 1 & 2. Learn to pick your battles and cut the shit already.
Old 03-29-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show has a lot of product placement already. I can't imagine what more they want.

Those 2 minutes could be crucial or not, but there is no way he should agree to it no problem. He should allow for more flexibility but having a guarantee doesn't sound good to me. I'm sure they can compromise this one.

And 3 is ridiculous. Do not limit the story directions he wants to go.
Old 03-29-11, 08:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-29-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Can't he just take it to another network? That would be fine by me if I can finally get the damn show in HD.
Who owns the show? Even as creator and showrunner I doubt he would have the power to do that on his own.
Old 03-29-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weiner should accept their demands. More product placement, fine deal with it. Cutting 2 minutes? That's like 20 seconds off of each scene, not a big deal. Cutting 2 cast members? Yes, Weiner should embrace this opportunity and use it to eliminate January Jones' character from the show. Sorry Betty you had a good run but you were the weakest link last season. The 2nd character to eliminate would be his new wife but I suppose he can't do that now.

$30 million for 2 years, suck it up and look at them more like challenges to the creative process instead of them trying to undermine your authority.
Old 03-29-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

How about cutting a bit off the million pay check if he really wants to keep the show on the air.
No scratch that. It's probably a tiny amount compared to the ad revenues of more product placement.

Fact is that no one's watching the show. Just stop bitching and accept the compromises. Or pull the plug.

EDIT: Season 5 officially greenlit with a 2012 premiere date:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/amc-...2012-premiere/

Last edited by Gunde; 03-29-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-29-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Weiner should accept their demands. More product placement, fine deal with it. Cutting 2 minutes? That's like 20 seconds off of each scene, not a big deal. Cutting 2 cast members? Yes, Weiner should embrace this opportunity and use it to eliminate January Jones' character from the show. Sorry Betty you had a good run but you were the weakest link last season. The 2nd character to eliminate would be his new wife but I suppose he can't do that now.

$30 million for 2 years, suck it up and look at them more like challenges to the creative process instead of them trying to undermine your authority.
Keep January Jones, as "Betty" creates plenty of conflict for Don, which makes for good drama.

And no, Weiner shouldn't just have to buckle just because AMC says so.
Old 03-29-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
And no, Weiner shouldn't just have to buckle just because AMC says so.
If AMC wants more commercials, just make the time slot run for 1:02. Hell, that seems to be the new norm anyhow. Wouldn't effect me....I'm jumping commercials on the DVR anyhow.

I can understand the product placement request since I'm sure a lot of people DVR the show.

Like I said, I don't know why this show has to be tied to AMC, no matter owns it (AMC obviously doesn't).
Old 03-29-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gunde
EDIT: Season 5 officially greenlit with a 2012 premiere date:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/amc-...2012-premiere/
On the bright side, at least it doesn't run opposite the NFL now. It also gives more time for DTV to hopefully hammer out a HD deal, although I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-29-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fall for The Walking Dead and early 2012 for my favorite show? I am the most impatient man in the world. I'm not happy waiting THAT long. What if I die this summer before either show returns?
Old 03-29-11, 12:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Fall for The Walking Dead and early 2012 for my favorite show? I am the most impatient man in the world. I'm not happy waiting THAT long. What if I die this summer before either show returns?
then you would become an extra
Old 03-29-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Summer Bummer: Mad Men's Return Delayed

Matt Webb Mitovich Matt Webb Mitovich

As anticipated yet nonetheless dreaded, protracted negotiations between AMC, production studio Lionsgate and Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner have resulted in the acclaimed drama’s Season 5 premiere being delayed.

By how much? Well, whereas Mad Men typically uncorks each new season in late summer, Season 5 won’t arrive until — wait for it — next year.

“AMC has officially authorized production of Season 5 of Mad Men, triggering our option with Lionsgate,” the cable network says in a statement released Tuesday morning. “While we are getting a later start than in years past due to ongoing, key non-cast negotiations, Mad Men will be back for a fifth season in early 2012.”

Mad Men Star Hopes Fans Aren’t Left Waiting

As reported by sister site Deadline, Weiner is on the verge of inking a two-year deal worth close to $30 million, but is pushing back on three of AMC’s asks for Season 5: integrated product placement, the cutting of two minutes per episode (to accomodate increased ad time), and the elimination or reduction of two series regular cast members.

Weiner’s prospective payday would make him the highest-paid showrunner in the business, leading at least one peer to question his stance on the seemingly sensible sticking points. “You can’t ask a network for 10 million [dollars], then bitch when they want to expand their ad revenue source,” Sons of Anarchy boss Kurt Sutter opined on Twitter. “Whore or saint, pick one.”
Old 03-29-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

IMHO cutting 2 minutes an episode isn't a big deal because hour long network shows run for as little as 41 minutes minus commercials. Mad Men will still give us more.

Product placement is a non-issue because the show is about Advertising Executives! This is one show where blatant product placement easily works into story lines.

Next, let the debate begin on the 2 characters that should go. Spoilerized for the benefit of anyone that hasn't seen season 4:

Spoiler:
I think Burt Cooper should go and may be gone anyway after he walked out on the meeting when Don Draper declared "no more tobacco at Sterling-Cooper-Draper-Price". Cooper can simply slip into retirement.

2nd, it may be time for Roger Sterling to retire as well. We got plenty of laughs out of how he coasted on the Lucky Strike account and now that it's gone, Sterling's character would need to prove his usefullness. It may be simpler to write him out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.