Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Men Season 5 -- Possibly delayed? (Still not officially renewed)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-26-11, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 704 Likes on 522 Posts

Here's the Summary:

1) AMC is still negotiating with Lionsgate for a 5th season even though they promised one recently.
2) Matt Weiner, the creator and showrunner, has no contract.
3) No scripts have been written yet.

The show normally starts production around April or May, so they better hurry the hell up!!

From EW.com

Fans already know that AMC has promised them a fifth season of Mad Men, but will its brilliant creator Matthew Weiner come back, as well? The Emmy-winning scribe told EW exclusively that his new deal has yet to be finalized but hes not looking for a new job. The shows future is vague because AMC is still negotiating with both Weiner and Lionsgate, which produces the hit drama starring Jon Hamm.

I think all of AMCs decisions about their scheduling and so forth have nothing to do with me, and I dont have a deal yet, Weiner told EW, while walking the red carpet for the Producers Guild of America Awards Saturday. I have every intention of making the show when they decide to work out their business with Lionsgate. I cant wait to come back to work. I have said over and over in public that I want the show to go on and on and on until it has worn out its welcome with viewers and we cant think of anything more for the characters to do.

I am not looking for a new job. Im dying to go back to work, Weiner continued. But the truth is I dont even know what their plans are. We have not started writing. I am not back at work. My contract expired. They are fighting over a very lucrative property, and who is going to pay for it to get made; its one of the biggest perils of success everyone wants a piece of it now and they are fighting over who is gonna get the biggest chunk. Then they will come to me because talent is last. It would be heartbreaking for me if they dont work it out, horrifying really. It would be a shame for fans to never get to see what great stuff we have planned for Don and company.
Old 01-26-11, 07:13 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 219 Likes on 188 Posts
Re: Mad Men Season 5 -- Possibly delayed? (Still not officially renewed)

i don't think it is a question of not coming back. it is a question of money and how much AMC is willing to pay Weiner and co. for one of their 2 staples (Breaking Bad being the other). It will be around for some time.
Old 01-26-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They didn't leaving anything really hanging. I wouldn't be shrieking mad if it ended right where it is.
Old 01-26-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks.

But how profitable Mad Men really is? I know it has low ratings, even for AMC standards. Critics love it. The people that watch the show love it. So I guess it's really hard to take some decisions here.
Old 01-26-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 704 Likes on 522 Posts

I heard the production costs for 1 episode is around $3M which is very high for a cable budget, but I'm sure Lionsgate is the one that covers most of the costs. So, I think the delay is probably more about continuing to make the show profitable for AMC.

Plus, you can't do this show without Weiner as showrunner. He writes/co-writes most of the episodes and directs a few. I'm sure this is probably one of the hardest shows on TV to write for, especially with the amount of research that needs to be done.
Old 01-26-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

I say play free agency and get the fuck away from AMC. Get on a channel that I can get in HD.
Old 01-26-11, 02:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's an interesting situation. Mad Men is as popular as ever and is AMC's flagship show (pending the likely season 2 success of The Walking Dead). I would assume this is rather high on everyone's priority list to sort out.
Old 01-26-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

You should just get off your fly-by-night satellite provider.

Mad Men pulls around 2.5m viewers each week, Breaking Bad only gets 1.2 to 1.8m viewers a week.

...I care much more that Breaking Bad gets a final season (it can be this year, or next, or later... as long as we get one) instead of just being canned than Mad Men. I'd be shocked if this all fell apart for Mad Men.
Old 01-26-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just gives DirecTV more time to get AMC HD.
Old 01-26-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Just gives DirecTV more time to get AMC HD.
I'm not holding my breath. DTV has really been dragging their feet on HD additions.
Old 01-26-11, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
You should just get off your fly-by-night satellite provider.

Mad Men pulls around 2.5m viewers each week, Breaking Bad only gets 1.2 to 1.8m viewers a week.

...I care much more that Breaking Bad gets a final season (it can be this year, or next, or later... as long as we get one) instead of just being canned than Mad Men. I'd be shocked if this all fell apart for Mad Men.
Same here.

For those on DTV -- AMC HD looks glorious for those of us on Dish. (Just don't ask me what I think of the current season of FNL or upcoming seasons of Damages ).
Old 01-26-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The part where Weiner states that "there are no scripts" and "we have not started writing" doesn't mean that there aren't very detailed ideas and possibly outlines of where the scripts will transport the characters once the financial details are eventually resolved. You don't just ignore a great idea of creative inspiration because you don't have a contract. In my mind, it's a given that the show will continue. It's just too lucrative to allow it's production crew and actors take other work, seek other projects, and then become unavailable.

I should add that I can't wait for my S4 discs to arrive. I hope this won't delay its release.
Old 01-26-11, 04:20 PM

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Good. maybe Weiner will take the show somewhere else and it will force AMC to renew Rubicon.
Old 01-26-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it's a given that the show will continue, this just means I have to wait even LONGER for Season 5 to start airing. I know Season 4 will be on Blu-Ray soon, but that just isn't enough. I NEED MORE MAD MEN!
Old 01-28-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I should add that I can't wait for my S4 discs to arrive. I hope this won't delay its release.
It shouldn't. Those are completely separate things. Lionsgate produces the show and has all the video distribution rights after it airs on AMC. I would imagine Lionsgate is ready to receive the revenue that season 4 willl no doubt generate when it hits DVD/Blu-ray. I'm sure that money is built into the production costs which allow them to avoid charging AMC as much to air the show.

Clearly the folks at AMC are still novices at handling their "original programming". They'd be seriously foolish to let either show slip through their fingers consider that they and Walking Dead are their only real shows right now.
Old 01-28-11, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
It shouldn't. Those are completely separate things. Lionsgate produces the show and has all the video distribution rights after it airs on AMC. I would imagine Lionsgate is ready to receive the revenue that season 4 willl no doubt generate when it hits DVD/Blu-ray. I'm sure that money is built into the production costs which allow them to avoid charging AMC as much to air the show.

Clearly the folks at AMC are still novices at handling their "original programming". They'd be seriously foolish to let either show slip through their fingers consider that they and Walking Dead are their only real shows right now.
The Walking Dead's ratings are like 3 times what Mad Men's were.
Old 01-28-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo View Post
I watched a half-hour of that show and could take no more. People like some weird shit.
Old 01-28-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That still does not justify them dicking around with keeping two-thirds of their original programming is my point... not that Walking Dead is or isn't the reigning ratings dynamo for them right now.
Old 01-29-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,243 Likes on 760 Posts

Mad Men Season 4 Premiere = 2.9 Million viewers

The Walking Dead Premiere = 5.3 Million viewers

Better, but not three times better. And while TWD got great buzz, it's nowhere near as prestigious as the reigning three-time Best Drama Emmy winner that put AMC on the map.
Old 01-30-11, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Yeah but Walking Dead went up after it's premiere, I do believe Mad men went down.
Old 01-31-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally The Walking Dead doesn't even hold a candle to Mad Men.. The acting was "meh" at best for TWD.. I'll continue with season 2 but I'm not jonesing for it like I am Mad Men..
Old 01-31-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah but the guy's point was that it is now a flagship show for AMC. Although he only mentioned two, I would add Breaking Bad to make it three, in terms of being powerhouses whether critical, ratingswise or both. And I also agree that even though I enjoy TWD, it's nowhere near the level of BB and MM (even at the 6 episode point for both).
Old 01-31-11, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Yeah but the guy's point was that it is now a flagship show for AMC. Although he only mentioned two, I would add Breaking Bad to make it three, in terms of being powerhouses whether critical, ratingswise or both. And I also agree that even though I enjoy TWD, it's nowhere near the level of BB and MM (even at the 6 episode point for both).
Agreed. Unfortunately, the AMC ratings for their 3 flagship shows are inversely correlated to my acclaim for them.
Old 01-31-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would think that Mad Men's ratings are perfectly fine for AMC. I do not have the stats avaiable, but I would think it has a great demographic that is coveted by advertisers, plus all the awards it brings is a nice feather in the AMC cap.
Old 01-31-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
And while TWD got great buzz, it's nowhere near as prestigious as the reigning three-time Best Drama Emmy winner that put AMC on the map.
Just putting it out there that the only awards that 'The Walking Dead' has been qualified for it was nominated for "Outstanding Dramatic Series" for just 6 episodes - and 'Breaking Bad' wasn't... could singal a shift come next Emmys (or more likely the Emmys for the second season).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.