Old 01-24-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Cape -- "Scales" -- 1/24/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-09

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When "The Cape" (David Lyons) tips off Dominic Raoul -- aka Scales (Vinnie Jones) -- that Peter Fleming (James Frain) has been extorting money from him, Scales heads to a costume party on a train to confront Fleming. "The Cape" and Orwell (Summer Glau), also at the party, discover Max (Keith David) and the gang are going to heist the train, and Vince/The Cape is conflicted about what to do. Meanwhile, Dana (Jennifer Ferrin) and Trip (Ryan Wynott) must endure scrutiny and taunts while trying to deal with their loss.

Episode 4 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CSi25c26fUc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-24-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Cape -- "Scales" -- 1/24/11

I actually really like this show. I appreciate how it embraces the superhero genre and comic books in general. I doubt it will return for a second season, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I really love the show's sense of humor though. Faraday encountering the prison guy dressed up as The Cape, the cape not working because of the wind, and especially the kid opening the door to ask the question and then closing it before Trevor could come inside

Orwell seemed a little shaken this episode and definitely put herself at risk. They aren't being very subtle about it, but she clearly has some connection to Chess, most likely father/daughter. I mean, first last week and the juxtaposition of Orwell dancing and the ballerina that Chess had, and this week with the whole parent/child discussion between Orwell and Faraday. It's a bit too obvious.

I'm surprised Faraday actually thought the plan of having Scales out Fleming as Chess would work. Like anyone would take Scales seriously given Fleming's position and people assuming Faraday was Chess not too long ago.

I also don't like the idea that Faraday would try and stop Max & Co. I get that he's the hero and should stop the bad guys, but it just seems unnecessary to pit them against each other. And while I know they're robbers, so far I've only seem them rob banks and the train, money which was undoubtedly insured by the government.

The only thing that really bothers me about this show is how careless Faraday is at times. I mean, him walking around the train seems reckless to begin with, but then taking the mask off where anyone could see him and using only the hood to cover his face? There's no reason he should take that type of chance. And it's so obviously him, I'm surprised Fleming didn't immediately recognize him the moment he was being lowered down on the train.

I'm also surprised Faraday's son doesn't think The Cape is his dad. What with the constant visits, discussions about his father, and now the birthday gift.

Still, minor gripes aside I really think the show is a lot of fun. I particularly enjoyed The Cape and Fleming have to work together to stop the train. I kept waiting for Fleming to just reach over and rip the mask off though, lol.
Old 01-24-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanna love the show but so far i'm just liking it. This was my least favorite ep so far.
Old 01-24-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I enjoyed it but agree with kstublen's points of contention. I'll add another one (although I let it slide cos it's a comic book trope): the villains are so into monologing that they can't even get around to offing each other.
Old 01-25-11, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chess clearly doesn't recognize Orwell. Orwell's mask was too small to stop anybody familiar with her from recognizing her. If she is his daughter, how is he supposed to find her if he doesn't know what she looks like?
Old 01-25-11, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This ep was ok for me. With a good portion of this show happening on the train, it was somewhat boring. Still like the show and will continue watching for now to see how it grows over the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-25-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
the villains are so into monologing that they can't even get around to offing each other.
Sounds like Tarantino directing.
Old 01-25-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I continue to love the show. The way it's shot and the colorful characters make it seem like a comic book come to life.
Old 01-26-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Chess clearly doesn't recognize Orwell. Orwell's mask was too small to stop anybody familiar with her from recognizing her. If she is his daughter, how is he supposed to find her if he doesn't know what she looks like?
Old 01-26-11, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

This was the weakest episode but next weeks show looks promising with Mena Suvari.

Old 01-27-11, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the show but I think the family stuff drags it down a bit. I FF through the family flashback, so that helps. Besides hamstringing the show by including those scenes it also limits the sexual tension he has with Glau or the eventual femme fatale villain(s).
Old 01-27-11, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The one thing that I got from this episode is that Scales is fucking nuts.

Other than that, it was just okay. I like the storytelling and the fact that the episode is broken up into chapters like a graphic novel. I did get a good laugh when Scales tried to out Fleming as Chess.

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised to see Dayton Callie from Sons of Anarchy, although the role was pretty insignificant.
Old 01-28-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts

I really liked this episode, even allowing for the flaws that Kstublen detailed above. The humor and comic-y banter - especially this week - had me laughing a lot. I'm glad this isn't a "too serious" type show. Hell, I though this episode was a lot of fun.