Old 01-25-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Lights Out -- "The Shot" -- 1/25/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While Johnny tries to persuade promoter Barry Word (Reg E. Cathey) to give the gym's top fighter (Pedro Pascal) a title shot, Lights' daughters prepare a scrapbook for their father's 40th birthday party. Meanwhile, police discover that the MP3 player found on the body of a murdered robber belongs to Lights.

Episode 3 of 13

Promo for tonight:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J1As7f89q6g" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-25-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- "The Shot" -- 1/25/11

I loved that Justified promo with Raylan talking about Han shooting first

Last edited by kstublen; 01-25-11 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, the people behind this show definitely have a lot of love for Dan Auerbach and The Black Keys. Two songs last week and one song this week. It's always nice to hear some of your favorite music on a show you've grown to love.

---

Really liked tonight's episode a lot, but that's come to be expected. There's just something about this show. It's surprisingly compelling and Holt McCallany has done a great job with the character of Lights. His overall demeanor is just fantastic; he's at once calm and intense. He comes across as a genuine guy and is definitely a sympathetic character.

I appreciated that he chose to go and spend time with his family rather than go to the fight. You can tell that Lights really values family above all else and it makes him a better character for it. While his brother seems to be more concerned with instant gratification and money, Lights cares only about his family.

I felt bad when the guy bought the gloves and returned them to Lights, but I liked the way Lights handled himself.

You could see the kid losing the match coming a mile away, but I liked the way they did it and the implications the loss will have on Lights.

Last edited by kstublen; 01-25-11 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-26-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
That was awesome.
Old 01-26-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Man, the people behind this show definitely have a lot of love for Dan Auerbach and The Black Keys. Two songs last week and one song this week. It's always nice to hear some of your favorite music on a show you've grown to love.

---

Really liked tonight's episode a lot, but that's come to be expected. There's just something about this show. It's surprisingly compelling and Holt McCallany has done a great job with the character of Lights. His overall demeanor is just fantastic; he's at once calm and intense. He comes across as a genuine guy and is definitely a sympathetic character.

I appreciated that he chose to go and spend time with his family rather than go to the fight. You can tell that Lights really values family above all else and it makes him a better character for it. While his brother seems to be more concerned with instant gratification and money, Lights cares only about his family.

I felt bad when the guy bought the gloves and returned them to Lights, but I liked the way Lights handled himself.

You could see the kid losing the match coming a mile away, but I liked the way they did it and the implications the loss will have on Lights.
Well, Lights did blow off his duaghter's recital last week in favor of going to the birthday party for the kid.

The fight was pretty predictable but had to happen that way.

I'm assuming Light's brother had to agree to get him to fight in order to get Omar his shot??

Next week looks pretty ridiculous -- it looks like Light's is doing some underground MMA for money ala Kimbo Slice. That said, this show holds my interest from the first second it starts.
Old 01-26-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So awesome. That other "Hence the phrase.." promo I caught last week was awesome too. 2 weeks!!

Really enjoying Lights Out, but Justified was my fave new show last season. So ready for more.
Old 01-26-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looked liked Bas. At least that will be easier on the eyes and more believable than watching two random actors try to box.
Old 01-26-11, 01:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Good episode this week (enjoyed it more than last week). Especially liked the scene where Lights explained the reality of boxing to the young fighter.
Old 01-26-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good episode - it's amazing how scenes that have the potential to be corny seem to ring true:

- The scene in the dark I thought was really well done... it had the possibility to be real cheesy, but it fit really well; especially being setup by the previous attempted talk with the fighter that didn't go well.
- The scenes with his daughters are great, I'm not sure if it's McCallany or the writing, or the setup of the characters, but again scenes which could be cheesy (and often are on other shows) come off as realistic and only add to the characters and the show overall.

My only issue is that the brother is starting to go a bit over the top - I get the desperation but looking at the previews from next week, I think they run the risk of his character becoming a caricature. (is he becoming like his cousin Ziggy? oops wrong show)
Old 01-26-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

The brother manager is a colossal douchebag. He doesn't seem to do too bad with the ladies though.

to that Justified preview.
Old 01-26-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The brother manager is a colossal douchebag. He doesn't seem to do too bad with the ladies though.
I'm pretty sure that's the first I've seen of Anna Chlumsky since My Girl. That's a long stretch of her being invisible or me not paying attention.
Old 01-26-11, 08:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I'm pretty sure that's the first I've seen of Anna Chlumsky since My Girl. That's a long stretch of her being invisible or me not paying attention.
Funny -- I was thinking the same thing this week. Chlumsky is all growed up indeed...
Old 01-26-11, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by superfro
I saw the name in the opening credits and didn't want to believe that was her at first. She looked alot older than 30!

I've finally watched all 3 episodes, and gotta admit that I'm enjoying this alot more than I expected to. Omar losing the fight was too predictable, but it continues the story in the right direction. Looking forward to next week's episode!
Old 01-26-11, 09:13 PM

Can someone remind me who Lights was sending the money in the envelope too? The name said "Mae Kavanaugh" I think, but I don't remember who that is.
Old 01-27-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not sure I like where the next episode is going in regards to MMA.
Old 01-27-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Yeah, a little over the top for him to get money. Can't he just man up and tell his wife he wants / needs to fight?? I'm sure she'd support his decision to legally acquire money rather than serving as a goon or underground fighting.

First thing I thought of when I saw the preview was Jean Claude Van-Damme in Lionheart.
Old 01-27-11, 03:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
You mean they can go lower than saying MMA fighters have to take meth to cut weight
Old 01-27-11, 04:02 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I would've liked to see the arch with Lights and the young punk fighter go a few more episodes--coulda been good. Still, love this new show and will be interested to see where it goes...
Old 01-27-11, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by wirefan

My only issue is that the brother is starting to go a bit over the top - I get the desperation but looking at the previews from next week, I think they run the risk of his character becoming a caricature. (is he becoming like his cousin Ziggy? oops wrong show)
I predict next week he comes in with a duck on a leash.
Old 01-28-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drav3n
I saw the name in the opening credits and didn't want to believe that was her at first. She looked alot older than 30!
Holy shit, that's who that was. Not that I wouldn't, mind you, but I thought she was a mid-40s cougar type character. Had no idea she's 30. I'm going to assume the way she was shot wasn't the most flattering, or that I just assumed she was an older woman.

I'm not crazy about the MMA stuff either. Lights getting into another real fight should be a big deal, but MMA is super dangerous for someone with his condition. I'm cautious about how they're going to handle this.

This show is really solid. It would fall flat without the strong portrayal of Lights, but whenever he's on screen, I'm captivated. I think the show around him could be weak, but he holds it all together. I'll give some credit to the wife, and the middle daughter too (who's quite the young actress).
Old 01-28-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Holy shit, that's who that was. Not that I wouldn't, mind you, but I thought she was a mid-40s cougar type character. Had no idea she's 30. I'm going to assume the way she was shot wasn't the most flattering, or that I just assumed she was an older woman.

I'm not crazy about the MMA stuff either. Lights getting into another real fight should be a big deal, but MMA is super dangerous for someone with his condition. I'm cautious about how they're going to handle this.

This show is really solid. It would fall flat without the strong portrayal of Lights, but whenever he's on screen, I'm captivated. I think the show around him could be weak, but he holds it all together. I'll give some credit to the wife, and the middle daughter too (who's quite the young actress).
MMA is actually far less dangerous than Lights taking the rematch.

Either way, should be a much better episode "fight" wise as the previews looked like Bas so that should lead to a realistic fight.
Old 01-28-11, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
You mean they can go lower than saying MMA fighters have to take meth to cut weight
Good point. That annoyed me too.
Old 01-28-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
MMA is actually far less dangerous than Lights taking the rematch.
Why is that? Because in MMA there is a broader concentration, so there is striking, but also holds, whereas boxing is just striking?

Even if that's true, the preview makes it look like an underground brawl circuit, and not professional MMA, which means it isn't regulated, and I would say it's still mad dangerous for lights.
Old 01-28-11, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Why is that? Because in MMA there is a broader concentration, so there is striking, but also holds, whereas boxing is just striking?

Even if that's true, the preview makes it look like an underground brawl circuit, and not professional MMA, which means it isn't regulated, and I would say it's still mad dangerous for lights.

Because what messes people up in boxing is repetitive head trauma. With bigger gloves and longer fights boxers tend to take a lot more blows to the head than MMA fighters.