Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

Old 01-20-11, 11:59 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

How does the US version cheapen the UK show in any way?
Old 01-21-11, 12:18 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,131
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
How does the US version cheapen the UK show in any way?
It doesn't.

Aside from the pilot being a terrible remake of the UK pilot, the series only borrowed the Pam/Jim romance, which they expanded way beyond the scope of the UK version. All the ancillary characters on the US series are nothing like their UK counterparts, because the US series had time to develop them as well.

I think even Ricky has commented on how much the US version differed from their version, even by the end of the first/start of the second season.
Old 01-21-11, 08:35 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,344
Likes: 0
Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
It doesn't.

Aside from the pilot being a terrible remake of the UK pilot, the series only borrowed the Pam/Jim romance, which they expanded way beyond the scope of the UK version. All the ancillary characters on the US series are nothing like their UK counterparts, because the US series had time to develop them as well.

I think even Ricky has commented on how much the US version differed from their version, even by the end of the first/start of the second season.
I view the original series and the US version as a pair of cousins that grew up on opposite sides of the pond. I love the original series but the US version -- for the most part -- has been brilliant as well.
Old 01-21-11, 12:13 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
dan30oly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,749
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

Thanks for the spoiler in the thread title.





Who am I kidding. I would have likely read it on Ricky's blog anyway...but still.
Old 01-21-11, 09:55 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Next stop, Earth.
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

I wonder if he will really be playing David Brent, or just some other character?
Old 01-21-11, 09:58 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,915
Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

Originally Posted by porieux View Post
I wonder if he will really be playing David Brent, or just some other character?
Really?
Old 01-21-11, 10:01 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

It's time Free Love Freeway crossed the pond anyway.
Old 01-21-11, 10:09 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Next stop, Earth.
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Michael Scott Meets David Brent on The Office

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Really?
Yes, sounds like in the article they are just making an assumption.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.