Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

PBS Masterpiece Classic -- Downton Abbey

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic -- Downton Abbey

You should really think about covering at least part of that with a spoiler... I've already seen it, but I'm sure most people in the U.S. haven't yet.
Old 12-21-12, 08:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Daytripper, I agree. I've also seen the 3rd season already. Oh yeah, thanks for not posting spoilers. I was upset when I read another forum prior to viewing the 3rd series and some idiot basically spoiled everything. BTW, I think I'll still watch on PBS (beginning January 6th I believe).

Rick
Old 12-21-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by marginal
You should really think about covering at least part of that with a spoiler... I've already seen it, but I'm sure most people in the U.S. haven't yet.
Who are you addressing here, me? Nothing I posted required a spoiler. I was just letting people know to get ready for an emotional season. That could mean anything.
Old 12-21-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Don't forget the Christmas special is coming quite soon (for those in the U.K.).
Old 12-21-12, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Who are you addressing here, me? Nothing I posted required a spoiler. I was just letting people know to get ready for an emotional season. That could mean anything.
Yes, I'm addressing you. You stated in no uncertain terms that
Spoiler:
something tragic happens halfway through the season. Anyone who starts watching the season will be able to guess what that means.
Old 12-21-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yeah, that's definitely spoiler territory Daytripper. While
Spoiler:
"tragic" and "emotional" could "mean anything"
, we pretty much all know what it really means. Consider putting that in spoiler tags.

That said, it's a great season, although the first half is assuredly a lot more interesting than the second. And if the rumors are true about Season 4, specifically that
Spoiler:
the actor playing Matthew Crawley is not returning
, I wonder how that is going to affect future storylines.
Old 12-21-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I'm addressing you. You stated in no uncertain terms that
Spoiler:
something tragic happens halfway through the season. Anyone who starts watching the season will be able to guess what that means.
Give me a break. There are several story lines that are introduced at the very beginning that could end up tragic. Three of which are:

Spoiler:

Mrs. Hughes dying of breast cancer.

The Crawley's losing Downton Abbey due to money issues.

Something happening to John Bates in jail.

Old 12-21-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah there is no obvious guess whatsoever from what Daytripper said with the amount of storylines going on in this show.
Old 12-21-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

To each their own Personally I would spoiler tag it, as it's kind of broadcasting expectations a bit too on the nose, but I'm picky about such things.
Old 12-21-12, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah there is no obvious guess whatsoever from what Daytripper said with the amount of storylines going on in this show.
There's no obvious guess... until you start watching Season 3, then it becomes pretty damn obvious. But that's not the point anyway. To me, it's like someone who watches The Usual Suspects and then tells everyone who hasn't seen it,
Spoiler:
"You'll never guess who Keyser Soze is! You'll totally never guess!"
You've suddenly messed with someone's first experience viewing it, even if you didn't reveal everything about it.

It's not just about revealing a specific plot point... it's about broadcasting the fact that there's a major (tragic) plot occurrence happening at a pretty specific point. It's pretty hard to be shocked when someone tells you to expect something shocking.
Old 12-21-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no obvious guess... until you start watching Season 3, then it becomes pretty damn obvious. But that's not the point anyway. To me, it's like someone who watches The Usual Suspects and then tells everyone who hasn't seen it,
Spoiler:
"You'll never guess who Keyser Soze is! You'll totally never guess!"
You've suddenly messed with someone's first experience viewing it, even if you didn't reveal everything about it.

It's not just about revealing a specific plot point... it's about broadcasting the fact that there's a major (tragic) plot occurrence happening at a pretty specific point. It's pretty hard to be shocked when someone tells you to expect something shocking.
This is getting ridiculous. Nothing becomes "pretty damn obvious" about what's to come watching the first two or three episodes of season 3. ESPECIALLY about the story line I was referring to. I already pointed out three other things that could turn sad and tragic. Way before what I was talking about. And I could name three more, if you like. So stop being so dramatic. Telling me I've messed with someone's first viewing experience. I ruined nothing for people who haven't seen the season yet. And your spoiler/example? Is absurd too.
Old 12-21-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give me a break. There are several story lines that are introduced at the very beginning that could end up tragic. Three of which are:

Spoiler:

Mrs. Hughes dying of breast cancer.

The Crawley's losing Downton Abbey due to money issues.

Something happening to John Bates in jail.

Don't forget

Spoiler:
Mrs Patmore inadvertently "inventing" the modern strip club
Old 12-21-12, 10:49 PM

This is getting ridiculous. Nothing becomes "pretty damn obvious" about what's to come watching the first two or three episodes of season 3. ESPECIALLY about the story line I was referring to. I already pointed out three other things that could turn sad and tragic. Way before what I was talking about. And I could name three more, if you like. So stop being so dramatic. Telling me I've messed with someone's first viewing experience. I ruined nothing for people who haven't seen the season yet. And your spoiler/example? Is absurd too.
Whatever, man. It was a brief and simple "heads up" in consideration of others. You're the one who got extremely defensive. Obviously I'm not the only one who thought it was spoilerish, but you're not going to change it, so that's that. Please feel free to move on.
Old 12-22-12, 10:53 AM
Cool New Member

That is not a spoiler because tragedy and Downton go hand and hand. There is no indication that it will happen either and to which character. The season isn't even done yet.

I think PBS does need to move it up. I've been fortunate to watch the season already, and glad I did considering that spoilers are all over the web.

It's better than Season Two, but nothing can top the perfection of Season One.
Old 12-22-12, 04:52 PM

Spoiler:
Germans don't win WW1
Old 12-25-12, 08:20 PM
Cool New Member

Spoiler:
Tragic show indeed.

Matthew is dead and not returning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ton-Abbey.html

Otherwise dull Christmas special. Have a feeling that this may well be - and should be - the last series. Feel like they're running out of steam.

Old 12-26-12, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:

Knew about the actor leaving but didn't know how they'd deal with the character. But as soon as they showed him traveling in "Lawrence of Arabia" mode, I knew what was coming.

And what exactly was the purpose of Anna learning that dance?
Old 12-26-12, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok wtf... I thought those spoilers were for season 3, which i've seen and thus clicked on them. But they were for the christmas special, which I had not seen.
Old 12-26-12, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Ok wtf... I thought those spoilers were for season 3, which i've seen and thus clicked on them. But they were for the christmas special, which I had not seen.
Agreed....my Christmas special was spoiled earlier on a different forum where they spelled out the details including the above linked www.telegraph.co.uk site. Oh well, I'll still watch it.
Old 01-04-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Season 3 starts this Sunday here! I'm a new addict to the show. I've heard about the show for quite some time, but initially had zero interest. I never watch PBS, and don't care for British shows especially since I have trouble with the accents due to my hearing loss.

After about four episodes in season one, and learning the characters, I became totally hooked. I flew through season one and most of season two in less than a week. I had no trouble with the accents, and I just love all the rich characters. One of the best shows out there, for sure.
Old 01-04-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a wonderful show. I'm praying that Season Four doesn't ruin it, but I'm feeling concern-trollish about it since the events of the recent Christmas special that followed after S3.

The year-long difference between the UK (& torrent) watchers and the PBS watchers is one of the main reasons the show gets no love here. It's not worth the spoiler wars.
Old 01-04-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Spoiler:

Knew about the actor leaving but didn't know how they'd deal with the character. But as soon as they showed him traveling in "Lawrence of Arabia" mode, I knew what was coming.

And what exactly was the purpose of Anna learning that dance?

Regarding your question
Spoiler:
Bates had told her he had Scottish ancestry, so she learned a bit of his culture. Just something to show her love for him.

As for the broadcast delay: absolutely ridiculous. I keep seeing all this buzz about the upcoming season, and then I realize I've already watched it.
Old 01-04-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by adamblast
It's a wonderful show. I'm praying that Season Four doesn't ruin it, but I'm feeling concern-trollish about it since the events of the recent Christmas special that followed after S3.

The year-long difference between the UK (& torrent) watchers and the PBS watchers is one of the main reasons the show gets no love here. It's not worth the spoiler wars.
WTF are you talking about? It's PBS' highest rated show, and gets 5M+ viewers here. No love?
Old 01-04-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I meant no love here in the TVTalk subforum, relative to its strong ratings.

PBS enthusiasm and geek enthusiam are peaking at different times, over different eps. Hence the propensity for spoiler wars, crosstalk, or no talk at all.
Old 01-04-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will officially put my Downton Abbey ringtone back on my phone this Sunday. Can't wait for the civilized smack talk between the Dowager Countess and Martha Levinson.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.