Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Smallville worth the investment of time?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Is Smallville worth my time?
Yes, start from the season one, episode one.
43.14%
Maybe, just check out the best episodes.
27.45%
No, it's not worth the investment.
29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Is Smallville worth the investment of time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Is Smallville worth the investment of time?

Originally Posted by Superman07
- Avoid season 5 episode 5 (Thirst) at all costs
While we're at it, avoid season 7, episode 13 (Hero), unless you are a big fan of Stride gum, then by all means watch and enjoy.
Old 12-13-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Isn't that the exact opposite of what he should do? He admitted he's not into Superman so he's actually a prime candidate that can take the show at face value and judge it on it's own merits without bringing comic baggage to the table to weigh and judge it on.
I don't think there's any "comic baggage" to it. I'm a comic fan, but I tend to be pre-inclined to like anything comic related. I'll rewatch really mediocre comic-related stuff that I wouldn't touch if it wasn't comic related. If I'm as negative about Smallville as I am, despite it being comic related, that should be telling. Hell, they've thrown us massive amounts of fan service in the form of JLA, JSA, and 4th World characters in the past two years, and I still say skip it.
Old 12-13-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

While we're at it, avoid season 7, episode 13 (Hero), unless you are a big fan of Stride gum, then by all means watch and enjoy.
That wasn't near as bad! At least it featured One Republic. I'd put that other Pete episode (Fast) ahead of Hero in the worst column. In fact, we should come up with a worse 5/10 episodes list.
Old 12-13-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Well we can all agree on the top 3 (order may vary): Vampire Lana, Stride Gum, Fast & Furious Pete.
Old 12-13-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Pretty simple. If you don't like the Superman character, then I'd say no.

I'm not much of a fan of the Superman character outside of the occasional screening of Donner's original flick, and I gave Smallville a try a few years back for the hell of it. Just didn't gel.
Old 12-13-10, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I would say absolutely not.

About 5% of the time it's great. 15% of the time it's pretty good. 30% of the time it's passable, and the other 50% it's really, really bad. Especially for the first few seasons, there are an atrocious amount of reset buttons, where a character learns something, then gets hit in the head and forgets it by the end of the episode. Lana was a terrible, terrible character... shrill and bitchy and massively prone to misunderstanding. Lois is 1000x the character, and she has basically kept the show afloat.

I watched about 7 seasons of the show before I gave up. Starting back at the beginning and watching all the episodes again would be excruciating. There are some fun episodes, sure, but the will-they/won't-they between Lana and Clark was ridiculously overdone, and then the writers would still found new ways to drag it out some more. Kristen Kreuk is gorgeous, but Lana Lang is the worst. The Luthors are pure awesomeness though. Maybe try watching the premiere, mid-season finale, and finale from each season? It seems that those are the only episodes where the producers were given money and writers.

I'm intrigued by all the positive reviews for the latest few seasons, but I don't think I can endure another 60 episodes in order to catch the 5-10 great ones. Recommending that someone watches all 220 episodes? That's just mean.
Old 12-13-10, 02:07 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Well we can all agree on the top 3 (order may vary): Vampire Lana, Stride Gum, Fast & Furious Pete.
Was the Vampire Lana worse than the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Lana? All those Lana storylines seemed so bad.
Old 08-12-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just finished a roughly 2 and a half month journey of watching little else and it was a blast. Ideally though I'd recommend starting from the season 5 finale. Cleanest reboot point after the witch craziness, plus you can get seasons 6-10 on blu ray and watch 5.22 on VOD. Biggest thing you mill is going to the Arctic for the first time but if you're not enduring the freak of the week monotony the payoff isn't as great anyway.
Old 08-12-12, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also starting rewatching a few weeks ago. I just started S4 and tho it is a little weak with all the witch stuff, I still like the show and can't wait to experience the whole series again.
Old 08-12-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Smallville did have its positive attributes, though the sloppy writing at times overwhelms everything. Tom Welling was perfectly cast as a young Clark Kent and it's a shame we never saw him don the costume (two seconds at the end of the series does not count). Welling is probably the second best Superman casting of all time after Christopher Reeve.

What they did with Lex Luthor was amazing for the limitations of a weekly television show, though the Clark-Lex relationship became ridiculous as the years wore on.
Old 08-12-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
I just finished a roughly 2 and a half month journey of watching little else and it was a blast. Ideally though I'd recommend starting from the season 5 finale. Cleanest reboot point after the witch craziness, plus you can get seasons 6-10 on blu ray and watch 5.22 on VOD. Biggest thing you mill is going to the Arctic for the first time but if you're not enduring the freak of the week monotony the payoff isn't as great anyway.
But S2 had some great moments with Lex. The best moments of Smallville.
"Memoria" had a GREAT scene with Lex and Lionel.
S3-S4 also had great moments with Chloe, eg in the episode "Blank"
Old 08-12-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
But S2 had some great moments with Lex. The best moments of Smallville.
"Memoria" had a GREAT scene with Lex and Lionel.
S3-S4 also had great moments with Chloe, eg in the episode "Blank"
I got so tired of Lex being behind every single bad thing on some level. And the stretch where Chloe went from the target audience's ideal high school girlfriend to Trinity from The Matrix I found awkward, watching the episodes consecutively. I most liked the way they introduced characters from the comics post-Brainiac, the Welling/Durance chemistry when they were working together, and everything by Geoff Johns.

Last edited by cleaver; 08-12-12 at 07:54 PM.