Old 11-18-10, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The Office -- "WUPHF.COM" -- 11/18/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Michael puts on the charm by trying to attract investors to Ryan's fledgling Internet company. Meanwhile, Dwight celebrates Thanksgiving and his childhood by organizing a hay festival in the office parking lot; and a newly implemented policy prevents Jim from earning commission. Kathy Bates and Jack Coleman guest star.
Old 11-18-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Office -- "WUPHF.COM" -- 11/18/10

Can't wait!
Old 11-18-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's HRG! I'm glad he's found work. He was the best part of "Heroes".
Old 11-18-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Oscar is my queen. That was easy. Give me a hard one. That's what Oscar said"
Old 11-18-10, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
lol, I loved that line. Really enjoyed this episode, loved Jims prank on Gabe. Though Gabe Still feels out of place on this show. Hes not really likable just kinda weird.
Old 11-18-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
It's HRG! I'm glad he's found work. He was the best part of "Heroes".
Good to see him... Sans the HRGs.
Old 11-19-10, 03:07 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
That line was great
Old 11-19-10, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
That line was great

As was "Toby is the instruction card you throw away."
Old 11-19-10, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was a little worried that a Ryan-centric episode wouldn't be as good as the rest of the season, but was pleasantly surprised. This season has been top notch and this episode was great.

There were a lot of great throwbacks in this episode too, like Ryan still having his desk in the closet and no one knowing the names of the IT guys. Loved Jim's line in particular: "Why don't we just call the IT Guy who set it up? What was his name again?"

Trying to figure out the password was hilarious...

Michael: "You know what, it made me laugh when I heard it, but Pam got really offended."
Kevin: "Big boobs!"
Pam: "You're typing big boobs?"
Jim: "I'm trying everything."
Dwight: "Try big boobs with a z"
Jim: "That's...the password. We're in."

And they finally sort of addressed that Ryan does nothing at the office too...

Ryan: "New investors are key though, that's actually why I came in today."
Michael: "Don't you work here full time?"

Michael thinking recycling was separating whites and colors, lol. Eight years...

Jim was a little hard on Gabe. I mean, it wasn't really his fault or anything, but Gabe always seems to do a bad job conveying corporate policies and employee complaints, so I didn't mind all that much. Does seem pretty stupid to cap commissions like that though, because really what incentive does Jim have to work really hard? I actually figured Jim would help Pam get some sales, since she probably doesn't have nearly as many as he does.

Michael: "No idea where Creed came from."

Michael: ""Oscar is my Queen, that's easy. Give me a hard one. That's what Oscar said."
Michael: "Toby is the Instruction Card you throw away."

All in all a great episode with tons of funny lines. Nice to see Michael recognize that Ryan isn't the friend he always wanted him to be, but I think he sort of knew that all along. At the same time, it was great to see him put his foot down, tell everyone he believed in them, and not let other people make the decision for him. I also like where they're going with Angela.
Old 11-19-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pam isn't in sales anymore.
Old 11-19-10, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Jim was a little hard on Gabe. I mean, it wasn't really his fault or anything, but Gabe always seems to do a bad job conveying corporate policies and employee complaints, so I didn't mind all that much. Does seem pretty stupid to cap commissions like that though, because really what incentive does Jim have to work really hard? I actually figured Jim would help Pam get some sales, since she probably doesn't have nearly as many as he does.
The more I think about it, the more I think Jim's being an ass this episode. I kind of like Gabe, especially after his hilarious speech about the old men in the locker room. He didn't deserve to be pranked, it's not like he did anything to wrong Jim.

Also, in response to 'why should Jim work hard now', well maybe because it's his job? People who care about their family and their livelihood should make sure they perform well at their job, and not dick around just because they're not getting additional bonuses.
Old 11-19-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it hard to believe that those guys would invest in something Ryan thought up.
Old 11-19-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Jim's being an ass this episode. I kind of like Gabe, especially after his hilarious speech about the old men in the locker room. He didn't deserve to be pranked, it's not like he did anything to wrong Jim.

Also, in response to 'why should Jim work hard now', well maybe because it's his job? People who care about their family and their livelihood should make sure they perform well at their job, and not dick around just because they're not getting additional bonuses.
It isn't what Gabe said, it is the condescending way he said it. He has horrible social/communication skills. Of course, that makes for a funny/awkward character, so I'm glad he is on the show.

As to why would Jim work hard now, I understand his position, especially if there had been no prior communication as to a commission cap. You take over a company and change their old policies, especially when it comes to compensation, you darn well better make sure people know about it up front. Also, what a stupid policy. We offer sales people a higher commission % as they sell more. Why would you ever not encourage your sales staff to sell as much as possible. WRT Jim, why make sales in the current year when he can delay those sales for a month and make commission on it. Also, commissions aren't bonuses.
Old 11-19-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I find it hard to believe that those guys would invest in something Ryan thought up.
Yeah. I can see Michael doing it, because he is an idiot. But it didn't make sense for most of their character's to do that.
Old 11-19-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah - Michael sure, since he always loved Ryan.
Old 11-19-10, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
It isn't what Gabe said, it is the condescending way he said it. He has horrible social/communication skills. Of course, that makes for a funny/awkward character, so I'm glad he is on the show.

As to why would Jim work hard now, I understand his position, especially if there had been no prior communication as to a commission cap. You take over a company and change their old policies, especially when it comes to compensation, you darn well better make sure people know about it up front. Also, what a stupid policy. We offer sales people a higher commission % as they sell more. Why would you ever not encourage your sales staff to sell as much as possible. WRT Jim, why make sales in the current year when he can delay those sales for a month and make commission on it. Also, commissions aren't bonuses.
I guess I was using the term 'bonus' loosely... my point was it was in addition to his regular paycheck. You make good points, but I still think it's irresponsible for someone with a family to feed to flagrantly goof off at work like that.
Old 11-19-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno View Post
I still think it's irresponsible for someone with a family to feed to flagrantly goof off at work like that.
Did you just start watching this show?
Old 11-19-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is Pam really not in sales anymore? I know she made up the whole office manager thing, but I figured that was in addition to sales, sort of like a monthly bonus or something. If that job didn't exist before and she is doing it now, what is she doing and why is she so busy?

---

I agree with cdollaz. It wasn't that he blamed Gabe, but the way Gabe handled it that bothered Jim. I mean, what does Gabe really do? He might pass along some ideas now and again, but he seems to be doing a terrible job passing along company policies and keeping the employees in the loop as far as their jobs are concerned.

When you give a salesmen a commission, they work that much harder. Plain and simple. If you say to Jim, we are only going to give you a certain amount of commission, no matter how much you sell, why would he work any harder or really push to get sales? Clearly he's already met an amount of sales that the company is happy with, so why should he go above and beyond when he won't see any benefit? He still does the job, but it gives him incentive to delay sales, pass them off onto other employees, etc.

Not to mention Jim was a manager and he gave up that position to be a salesmen again when Dunder Mifflin was bought out by Sabre because Sabre had no caps on commissions. Changing that policy pretty much negates the reason he opted to go back to sales.
Old 11-19-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Oh yeah - Michael sure, since he always loved Ryan.
Why does Michael love Ryan so much? I've been asking this question since I started watching this show. I don't think there's anything remotely likable about Ryan.
Old 11-19-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought this was one of the poorer episode of the season. Just didn't care for it.
Old 11-19-10, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Did you just start watching this show?
No, I didn't just start watching. I realize there's precedent for him slacking off, his behavior just annoyed me this episode for some reason. "Well, I'm not getting commission anymore, might as well wander around the office and annoy people". I was thinking that 'slacker Jim' was 'pre-baby Jim', I thought he had been taking the job more seriously the past year or so.

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
When you give a salesmen a commission, they work that much harder. Plain and simple. If you say to Jim, we are only going to give you a certain amount of commission, no matter how much you sell, why would he work any harder or really push to get sales? Clearly he's already met an amount of sales that the company is happy with, so why should he go above and beyond when he won't see any benefit? He still does the job, but it gives him incentive to delay sales, pass them off onto other employees, etc.
I'm not saying that the commission cap is a good idea, you don't need to sell me on the idea of commission. It looked like he just stopped working altogether, not that he simply stopped going above and beyond.

This is just my take on it though, some people have been in the 'Jim's annoying' camp for a while now, I guess this was my episode to join them.
Old 11-19-10, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by big e View Post
Why does Michael love Ryan so much? I've been asking this question since I started watching this show. I don't think there's anything remotely likable about Ryan.
I think Micheal sees Ryan as a young version of himself. Also, Ryan is the "cool guy" in the office, if you buy into his posturing that is. Micheal's obsessed with being the cool guy.
Old 11-19-10, 01:34 PM

I didn't like the overall plot of the episode (since I dislike the social networking craze), but the one-liners in this episode were great. So-so episode for me.

When Ryan mentioned spreading WUPHF to friends and relatives (believing it would be a great idea if they invested some money), I thought he was doing a pyramid scheme.
Old 11-19-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It took me half the episode to figure out that Dwight had set up his event in the building's parking lot. I couldn't figure out how all the office kept popping up at Dwight's farm.
Old 11-19-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Angela looked pretty good again last night.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.