DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/581777-conan-obrien-shows-projects-news.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 01-22-18 06:30 PM

re: Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News

Are the clips on youtube or maybe his teamcoco site?

Those were his peak years when he did the show in the mid to late 90's on NBC.

dex14 05-03-18 11:29 AM

Conan is changing its format.

A year after signing a new four-year deal with TBS, the Turner-owned cable network announced Thursday that it will reduce Conan O'Brien's little-watched late-night series from an hour a night to a half hour a night come 2019. Additionally, TBS is expanding its partnership with O'Brien's Team Coco and has unveiled plans to expand its touring and online efforts connected to the long-running late-night series.

"Since I inherited my Late Night show in 1993, TV has changed exponentially. I'd like to think I have evolved with many of these changes, but now it's time to take the next leap," O'Brien said in a release announcing the changes. "A half-hour show will give me the time to do a higher percentage of the comedy in, and out, of the studio that I love and that seems to resonate in this new digital world. It's still going to be me hosting a very silly show, but I want segments on my half-hour program to link to digital content, deepening the experience for my younger fans, and confusing my older ones."

Late-night's longest-tenured host will continue to air four nights a week and starting next year will unveil a less structured 30-minute format that will feature guests and a variety of segments drawn from the newly expanded Team Coco portfolio. Team Coco, which has enlisted former Otter Media exec vp creative Billy Parks to serve in the newly created position of chief brand officer for the joint venture with TBS, will expand to include television, digital, social and live events that will allow O'Brien to have a greater interaction across multiple platforms. Conan has the youngest audience of any late-night series and has an equally impressive digital presence with more than 3.4 billion video views.

Team Coco's expansion will also feature talent deals with stand-up comedians that will be driven by live touring and original digital material. That will kick-off late this year when O'Brien and his team of comics will embark on a multi-city tour. Conan will continue to feature an array of emerging stand-up comedians on its linear and nonlinear platforms.

Conan’s always been a fearless performer and now, at the top of his form, I’m excited he’s taking a gutsy step forward with us into new arenas,” said Kevin Reilly, president of TBS and TNT and chief creative officer of Turner Entertainment.

For his part, Parks will work closely with Conan exec producer Jeff Ross to grow Team Coco's initiatives with the show's popular branded segment "Clueless Gamer" — which is in development as a TBS series — serving as an example of how Team Coco will help partner Team Coco with multiple other brands.

"Not only does Conan have an epic history of working on one of the most prestigious and long-running shows in comedy, the way he and his team have evolved the show over the past five years to create touch points that weave linear, digital and live for fans and brands is impressive. I am excited to be a part of the team as TBS and Team Coco double down on being funny everywhere," Parks said.

The touring component builds on the show's history of taking its show on the road to locations including Cuba, Mexico, Haiti and Israel via its Conan Without Borders series of specials.

Additionally, as O'Brien celebrates 25 years on late-night TV (with eight of them at TBS), Team Coco will partner with NBC and TBS to put the host's entire Late Night With Conan O'Brien and Conan catalogue online.

"Starting out on Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons, through Late Night and my work with TBS, one of the great joys of my life has been collaborating with brilliantly funny people," O'Brien said. "This new venture with TBS will give me a platform to nurture exciting young talent and find the right place for their gifts in a crowded and chaotic landscape. My goal is to be Red Lobster, only instead of affordable seafood we make comedy, and every customer gets a bib. I wish I had thought this through."

The shift comes more than a year after rumors surfaced that TBS was plotting reducing Conan to a weekly format. Reilly denied those plans and stressed that the series would eventually "shift," particularly after O'Brien's stops in Cuba, Berlin and South Korea scored ratings bumps for TBS and as the host continued to find success online with a number of viral clips.

O'Brien a year ago acknowledged how much the late-night space has changed since he inherited what he called the "traditional talk show format" in 1993. In his quote for the show's four-year renewal last May, the host noted he was "eager to evolve" his show into "something leaner, more agile and more unpredictable."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...r-2019-1108293

whotony 05-03-18 11:50 AM

“A half-hour show will give me the time to do a higher percentage of the comedy in, and out, of the studio...”

But only half the time to actually air it on tv.

windom 05-03-18 12:27 PM

Hopefully, they can still do 1 hour shows for their Comic Con specials, but probably not.

fujishig 05-03-18 12:48 PM

So it's going to be basically a gateway into their web content? Ugh.

PhantomStranger 05-03-18 01:46 PM

Every year that Conan remains on the air, the more and more I think that his success in the 1990s was due almost entirely to his original staff of writers. The last decade has proved that for me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

leacha 05-03-18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13324215)
Every year that Conan remains on the air, the more and more I think that his success in the 1990s was due almost entirely to his original staff of writers. The last decade has proved that for me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I agree with that for the in studio portion. When he's on the road or doing outside the studio bits he shines on his own.

At this point in his career he reminds me of a doctor who is tired of being a doctor. While still competent and capable you can tell there's no desire left.

Mike86 05-03-18 03:13 PM

Honestly I don’t think it sounds like a terrible idea. Conan’s strong suit has always been his comedy bits over the interview segments. I’m guessing this will cut back on the interview aspect and make it more of a variety comedy show with celebrity involvement.

Goonies85 05-06-18 12:35 AM

This news kind of blows. The TV world would be a much, much better place had Leno/NBC not screwed Conan. But I do have to agree with some of the other commentators on this board, Conan's current writing staff really isn't cutting it. There's times where I'll only laugh at one monologue joke...And I can't stand it when they have the two writers (?) in the crowd acting obnoxiously with blowhorns...Not sure why they feel that is funny...

In my mind, Conan was at his best when I was in high school...The masturbating bear, Walker: Texas Ranger clips, etc...And he also hit a peak when the writers strike was going on (surprising, given my previous comment about the writing staff)...It just seemed to free him and make him try all sorts of unusual things (spinning the ring, doing a show from the rafters, doing a show from behind the audience, etc.)...And then, of course, those final weeks at NBC, when he knew he was not long for The Tonight Show...His whole "who cares" attitude translated greatly on the screen...

I do love Clueless Gamer...Just wish there were more of them...

I guess, overall, it's just annoying knowing that Jimmy Fallon still hosts the show that should have rightfully been Conan's...

Hazel Motes 05-06-18 03:14 AM

I don't watch his show anymore. I do follow his show on social media though and watch a lot of his videos. His Late Night/Tonight Show run I consider to be neck and neck with any great Late night show ever. Whether it be Johnny Carson or David Letterman. It was so good. While his show has stagnated since moving to TBS he continues to be the gold standard when it comes to field pieces. No one can do it better imo. He's the most naturally funny person in Late Night. The stuff with Jordan Schlansky and everyone around his office that he berates and all his travelling pieces are still fantastic. If this change means more of that, I'm 100% for this. The worst part of his show is the tired in studio late night comedy tropes that just about no one does anymore. If this is an end to that, great. I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily.

Goonies85 05-06-18 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13325861)
I don't watch his show anymore. I do follow his show on social media though and watch a lot of his videos. His Late Night/Tonight Show run I consider to be neck and neck with any great Late night show ever. Whether it be Johnny Carson or David Letterman. It was so good. While his show has stagnated since moving to TBS he continues to be the gold standard when it comes to field pieces. No one can do it better imo. He's the most naturally funny person in Late Night. The stuff with Jordan Schlansky and everyone around his office that he berates and all his travelling pieces are still fantastic. If this change means more of that, I'm 100% for this. The worst part of his show is the tired in studio late night comedy tropes that just about no one does anymore. If this is an end to that, great. I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily.

I do love all of the bits he does with Jordan Schlansky...My favourites have to be when he's trying to figure out who on the staff to furlough...As well as Schlansky's elitist expresso machine...They have great chemistry...

bluesix 05-06-18 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13324215)

I completely disagree! Conan has one of the sharpest quickest minds in comedy today. I can't think of any other mainstream comics that can compete with him in terms of intelligent satirical comedy. Colbert comes close but he is less of a comedian and more of an actor doing a talk show.

I think he has only gotten better with age but its true he has appeared 'bored' with his show the last few years.

For someone who got treated poorly so publicly I think he rebounded spectacularly. Its not his fault that nobody watches the network he is on. Half the audience that watches these late night shows is only there because whatever they were watching at 10PM got them on the channel and they are too lazy or half asleep to change it after the local news.

I am glad they are keeping in on the air even if it is no longer a real talk show. Maybe he will eventually end up on Netflix or Apple doing something even more different in the future.

Count Dooku 05-06-18 12:01 PM

Kinda funny.

I saw the latest Clueless Gamer segment featured on HuffPo, and started thinking about how it has been about 25 years since Conan started on TV.

I used to be a pretty devoted Late Night watcher, and thought he was treated terribly in the Tonight Show debacle. Now, however, Conan is completely off my radar. I never just watch his show, and I very rarely catch up with anything he is doing online.

So it was kinda funny (strange , not ha-ha) that I was thinking about how Conan had been doing a talk show for almost 25 years, and clicked on this thread to discover that he is basically hanging it up, talk show wise.

30 minutes, four times a week, sounds like his own version of The Daily Show but without the the topical/political focus.

He can't still use that huge studio with a live audience, not enough people would want to attend a taping for a 30 minute show with a lot of pre-taped segments. I suspect he will still do an interview for each show, but those can be taped in advance.

Interesting. He does not want to do his talk show anymore but he does not want to retire, so he will just focus more on comedy bits that he wants to do, and try to fill two hours a week.

Unfortunate because I think his NBC days deserve a better legacy, and the Conan talk show is basically going to go away without anybody noticing.

Mike86 05-06-18 12:23 PM

I think that the crowd now days is probably more interested in the comedy bits than the interview segments. My take is that a lot of these late night shows seem to do pretty well with their highlights on YouTube or whatever and that the stuff involving celebrities tends to just be funny segments of an interview or bits that are done with the host. I actually think Conan has adapted pretty well to that crowd over the years and this kind of seems like the next evolution of his show.

Deftones 05-06-18 12:32 PM

As a faithful Conan watcher since the early days of Late Night show on NBC, I bailed on it about 8 months or so ago. I love Conan and Andy to death, but I got bored with the format. Rarely any interviews I needed to see, and I just didn't care much about the skits anymore. I basically FF through the entire show unless something caught my eye. I might actually tune back in for this different format.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-06-18 06:07 PM

That is what I thought. Even during the later years of late night it was not the same.

PhantomStranger 05-07-18 12:03 PM

I think it hurt Conan as he grew older that many of the guests started getting younger than him. He had that youthful exuberance on late night that neither Leno or Letterman ever displayed. Once Conan started getting older, his goofy schtick didn't work as well in interviews.

I actually think he handled the NBC exit about as well as he possibly could.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-07-18 06:20 PM

I don't think it is a good sign when he has maybe 3 weeks in a row off with repeats unless it is just the Summer or he has a flexible schedule.

windom 07-18-18 10:29 PM

Just a heads up, Conan's run of shows from Comic Con started tonight.

dex14 09-13-18 11:59 AM

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8YM5Ftb2lTc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Conan O’Brien’s complete late-night TV archive will be posted online in January
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ne-in-january/

I'll believe it more when Batman comments.

Deftones 09-13-18 12:34 PM

Awesome. His Late Night days were some of the best TV ever.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-13-18 05:41 PM

I think he has had one week of new shows since July.

B.A. 09-14-18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13407308)
Awesome. His Late Night days were some of the best TV ever.

His last few months on NBC were a must watch night in and night out.

windom 09-14-18 09:21 PM

Are they still planning on the showing going down to half an hour a night?

ultimaton 10-04-18 11:51 PM

Kind of weird episode tonight, as it was the last episode of Conan in its traditional hour-long format. The show is going on hiatus until January, though Conan looks like he'll remain busy in the meantime with his upcoming tour, a new podcast, and a Conan in Japan special.

I guess I missed or didn't realize Jimmy Vivino and the Basic Cable Band weren't going to be part of the show's new format, tonight was their last appearance.