DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/581777-conan-obrien-shows-projects-news.html)

astrochimp 11-10-10 05:55 AM

re: Conan --> Series Discussion Thread --> 2010-2011

Loved seeing Soundgarden last night. Great performance :up:

nightwing82 11-10-10 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 10481222)
The set looked pretty nice to me, not sure what you are talking about. Nothing over the top fancy but it works fine and is nice looking. I actually think his set looks rather nice compared to the Lopez Tonight set.. Besides that fact is a "snazzy new set" really more important than the show itself -screwy-?? I also disagree with the Andy comment, he isn't my favorite part of the show but I think him and Conan work well together.

In the world of HD television, I want a snazzy looking set. Visuals are a part of television --- this isn't radio.

Andy is highly annoying -- I didn't start to like "Late Night with Conan" until Andy left, then it became a kick-ass show. I'm sorry to see that Conan is still dragging him along when he would perform much better solo.

wearetheborg 11-10-10 08:32 AM

I liked the premier, and thought Conan was funny overall.

Lea Michele came across as Super Fake.
Rogen was fine.
Craig does interviews much much better.
The set did look cheap, maybe the lighting/camera work was partly to blame. The set didnt look professional enough; its like it was shot by amateurs.

HUG-H 11-10-10 10:05 AM

I like the set. It reminds me of the old Late Night set.

Andy Richter is really funny now, funnier than he ever was on Late Night.

The interview segments seemed okay to me on the first show.

Mike86 11-10-10 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by nightwing82 (Post 10482934)
In the world of HD television, I want a snazzy looking set. Visuals are a part of television --- this isn't radio.

Andy is highly annoying -- I didn't start to like "Late Night with Conan" until Andy left, then it became a kick-ass show. I'm sorry to see that Conan is still dragging him along when he would perform much better solo.

I'm watching in HD too and it looks perfectly fine to me. Just get over it, it isn't the most important aspect of the show. I guess to be honest I don't really see what was so much more over the top fancy about his Tonight Show or Late Night sets in comparison to the new one.

As far as Andy goes I still disagree. I think he adds something to the show personally and they go well together. That's just me though I can see how some might not like him at times.

islandclaws 11-10-10 10:19 AM

I think it's a great set, not sure what the complaints are. Looks modern with a bit of retro thrown in.

I thought the opening episode was good. Loved the opening monologue, I think Richter was actually funny, Rogen was solid... I've got my DVR set to record all new eps, so guess I'll see how he does in the coming days/weeks. But it's a good start so far.

JuryDuty 11-10-10 10:27 AM

From TVbytheNumbers.com:

After a 2.8 household rating in the preliminary metered markets for premiere of Conan on TBS, his second night fell 25% to a 2.1 household rating (i.e. 2.1% of US TV households on average watched the show) in Nielsen’s metered market overnight data. These are not the adults 18-49 ratings we typically report on the site. We’ll have viewership and adults 18-49 (and perhaps other) demo group ratings later today.

If his adults 18-49 rating declines by a similar % it will be in the neighborhood of a 1.9 adults 18-49 rating.

Last night’s other late night show’s preliminary HH ratings:

Letterman’s Late Night: 3.0, Leno’s Tonight Show: 2.5, ABC’s Nightline: 3.2
Still seems excellent for TBS I'd think.

superfro 11-10-10 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by HUG-H (Post 10483148)
Andy Richter is really funny now, funnier than he ever was on Late Night.

Andy was awesome during his time on Late Night. He stole the show often for me.

Really really really really glad to see they got him back on the couch in true old school side-kick format. I was hoping that was going to be the case with the Tonight Show and was disappointed it didn't happen. Very awesome.

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 10482791)
1. Read the rest of the thread before you actually post.

2. As fumanstan said, post the link to the article you're posting, otherwise people will naturally assume that you wrote it. That much is common sense.

1. Oh I did, and I still wanted to put you in your place.

2. Yea, believe me I'll never make that mistake again. However, due to the style of the post, I'm quite certain the majority of the people in this thread assumed it wasn't just me writing up a quick blurb to share. I felt it was fairly obvious it came from somewhere other than me. I didn't know I needed to use MLA citation style on a forum about DVDs.

Deftones 11-10-10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10482767)

maybe next time you should post, oh i don't know, say a link to what you are quoting instead of us expecting us to know if that's from you or an outside source. just a thought.

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 11:47 AM

Yea, I got that. You people need links. I got it. Maybe next time I should post a link... I got it. Yea. Links.

Deftones 11-10-10 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by HUG-H (Post 10483148)
I like the set. It reminds me of the old Late Night set.

Exactly. It has that same vibe, which really was a throwback to the old sets from the 50's and 60's. I see nothing wrong with it. :up:

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 10482585)
That's part of the article, not an added commentary by the poster.

This guy knew that it was an article and not my doing. HOW COULD HE HAVE POSSIBLY KNOWN WITHOUT A LINK?? This guy is amazing!

Deftones 11-10-10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10483329)
Yea, I got that. You people need links. I got it. Maybe next time I should post a link... I got it. Yea. Links.

or just don't post in this thread at all. that would be better.

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10483335)
or just don't post in this thread at all. that would be better.

How unbelievably uncalled for.

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 11:52 AM

yay yay!

Deftones 11-10-10 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10483340)
How unbelievably uncalled for.

and calling someone here an ass is called for? rotfl

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10482269)
so it's totally incomprehensible for the guy to change his mind? also, he didn't have a CD of music out in 2002. maybe his passion for guitar went from a hobby, to something he wishes to incorporate into the show.

I didn't write the article, as I implied here...

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10482494)
I'm just posting the article man. Ease up on me.

Now, I made a crucial error in not posting the link (the horror). However, a few sharp posters within this thread knew that it was not my writings, so for that I thank you.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 10482553)
If you were "just posting the article" then what was up with the unnecessary commentary at the end there? "Nevertheless: YouTube archives 1, Conan 0. YA BURNT. "

Yeah, that's real mature. If you're "just posting the article" then just post the article next time.

While Dragon Tattoo did not have the coveted link to verify that it was not my doing, he did all sorts of assuming. And we all know what assuming does.

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10482767)

Bingo!

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10483383)
and calling someone here an ass is called for? rotfl

Well, I didn't realize you were Dragoon Tattoo's personal message board body guard otherwise I wouldn't have ever started arguing with you about this. However, I've committed. So please take a look at our exchange, and I trust you'll find it quite fitting.

And I hereby promise to NEVER post and article without a link again. Scouts honor.

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 12:20 PM

Also, I've enjoyed CONAN so far. Hopefully it continues as such :thumbsup:

superfro 11-10-10 12:24 PM

I think you all have very big penises. Can we all move on now? ;)

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 12:29 PM

:lol:

rabbit77 11-10-10 12:33 PM

Conan O'Brien was welcomed back to television by more than 4.1 million viewers, while his winning numbers had minimal effect on his late-night opponents.

The former host of "The Tonight Show," who left NBC eight months ago, returned on Monday with a new talk show, "Conan," premiering on basic-cable network TBS.

In the 11 p.m. Eastern hour, O'Brien's opening night throttled his direct rivals on Comedy Central. "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" was seen by 1.3 million viewers, followed by "The Colbert Report" with 1 million.

But the curiosity factor clearly brought new viewers to the scene. Even against the debut of "Conan," the "Daily Show" audience dropped by just 200,000 viewers from its season-to-date average for Monday episodes. Viewership for "Colbert" dropped by only 150,000 from its season-to-date average.

Conan beat Jay Leno, the host who reclaimed the "Tonight Show" chair from him. Starting at 11:35 p.m. Eastern, "Tonight" attracted 3.5 million viewers. But "Tonight," which overlaps with "Conan" by 25 minutes, was down by just 100,000 viewers. Season-to-date, "Tonight" is averaging 3.6 million viewers, according to the Nielsen Co. It's really nice to have him back.

NiCK Crush 11-10-10 12:36 PM

LINK!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!??! Otherwise, good write up rabbit77!

OldBoy 11-10-10 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10483443)
LINK!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!??! Otherwise, good write up rabbit77!

can u stop please.

superfro 11-10-10 12:45 PM

Can't wait for the first of the inevitable Norm MacDonald visits. Then we'll see just how far they can go with the show. ;)